Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2001 11:37:47 AM EDT
hey, I have really always wanted a motorcycle, and I think now is a good time to be able to justify buying one.  For those of you guys taht have motorcycles, what kind of MPG are you getting?  I was also wondering what kind of bike's you may recommend new or used around the 4-5k range.  Not looking for a crotch rocket either...nothing fun about zipping down a road with a weed-whacker between your legs (just kidding).  Well, lets hear it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Just get the bike and don't worry about gas prices so much.  The cost of the bike, helmet, leathers, insurance and maintenance already create a total cost that will be difficult to offset on the savings in gas alone.  It might take years to do so, in fact.    

A bike is more convenient to park, but just as big a pain in the ass as any other vehicle (and often less convenient because of how much less stuff, like groceries, you can haul).  You get wet when it rains and nobody sees you coming, so your potential for having an accident is higher.  It doesn't matter how good a rider you are, Mr. Murphy is your constant companion.  It certainly makes you a better driver!

I've commute with a motorcycle just about every day for the last three years.  I'm beginning to think that they are as impractical, if not more impractical, than owning a sports car. They're fun, but don't delude yourself.  If you do buy one, get one that is 400-600cc, pay for it outright (i.e. go cheap) and take a rider safety class at a community college.  If you buy a used bike, bring a friend with you (preferably one who knows something about motorcycles, but anyone who will talk you out of making a foolish purchase will do in a pinch).  

Link Posted: 5/13/2001 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Gas prices soaring notwithstanding, it was the
thrill and giggles that got me onto motor-
cycles back about the last gas crisis.  Heck,
around the Pacific NW, we can even ride through
the rush hour in the carpool lane, blitzing
past the 'cagers' still bumper to bumper.

I'm getting around on 40-50 mpg on a 82 GPz750.
Have a Bandit 600 @ 45mpg.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes...
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting 40-45 mpg w/ my '00 Suzuki Intruder 800. Savings on gas during the summer months cover insurance and payments but you still have to pay during the winter too.  If you are in a city something smaller and used may pay for itself over a couple years but its best to look at it as a hobby and any money saved is a bonus.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Boy, it sure is great to see others thinking the same way I am.  One of my friends just got a new R6.  I kinda want to get a Sporter or something on the Dyna chasis...soon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
As long as it isn't your only set of wheels, go for it. While at Ft Hood, I had an '82 Suzuki 750L, and I rode it literally rain or shine, sleet or snow. It sucked. I had to have a rider with me for the saturday beer run, too (could carry a total of 6 cases). I just traded my van for an '88 Celica to save gas, and man, I should have gotten a Japanese car YEARS ago. 25mpg in the city, A/C, and a ROOF.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, the high prices didn't cause me to get a bike, but they did cause me to drop a grand or so on new headers and exhaust for my truck.

30 more horsepower and increased mileage. . .  not to mention how cool it sounds now.   :-)

[edited because I can't type. . .]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like as good as an excuse as any.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you inerested in the story of the guy I watched take out the median with his head yesterday afternoon on I-5?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Sure 1GUNRUNNER, what's the story?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
In Olympia, about 5:30 North bound at the Black Lake curve. He didn't. Lost his lid, he stopped about 150' further; the bike made it another 600'.  His left leg bent the way it shouldn't.  The coroner took him home several hours later.  Watched a Toyota roll down I-5 earlier that morning also; was not a good day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:34:00 AM EDT
[#12]
You should consider one of the dual-sport bikes, especially if you care to go off-roading at all.  They get excellent gas mileage, insurance is super cheap, and the bike itself is super cheap.  But they're still fun, very much so.  If you don't know what a dual-sport is, its basically a street-legal dirt bike.  But I'm not talking about the loud 2-stroke bikes.  These all have 4-stroke engines, just like other street-bikes and cars.  They range in size from 100cc to 650cc or more.  You can get a brand new 650 for around $5k.  Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda all offer the 650 size, which is probably what you want if you weigh more than 150 lb or so.  Oh, and used ones can be had super cheap, which is also a good option, because the bikes last forever.  Here's some pics of them:

Suzuki DR650SE
[img]http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_01/dual/images/bp_dr650_blue.jpg[/img]

Kawasaki KLR650 (6.1 gallon tank for 300 mile range)
[img]http://www.kawasaki.com/motorcycles/dualpurpose/pics/Kl650_data.jpg[/img]

Honda XR650L
[img]http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/models/2002/images/off-road/gallery_popups/XR650L_01.jpg[/img]

HTH
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]
honda has a pretty good fianancing deal now. go to their web site and check it out
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I was thinking the same thing since I have an F150 and it hurts to pull up to the pump.  My wife said "no" very empatically so I have some work to do.  I want an on/off road bike like the ones shown above.  I'll be limited to $1000 if I can even have that much.  I have began looking.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Marksman, it's hard to beat a 600 like the Suzuki Bandit for commuting and upright comfortable driving.  Those with deep pockets enjoy the ultimate Rolls Royce of motorcycles, the HD Road King or 'Glide series.  I currently get 38-43 mpg, but that's on a Road King ,with a Hot-Rod 95" Screamin' Eagle Stage II performance package including camshafts and Hookers.  I'm getting about 80 HP and 105 ft/lbs torque pulling an 800 pound motorcycle.  It will haul two people up-hill, fully loaded, with a trailer behind!  Each saddlebag holds one case of beer with ice. It handles easier than my 750s did!  Without the modifications I could have about 4-5 more MPG.  My US-built Accord gets about 24 mpg, but I prefer the Harley.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Think Harley.

Then all things in this world will be clearer to you.  Its the ultimate adventure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top