Posted: 1/2/2004 12:27:40 AM EDT

I think it's starting.

I'm not even forty! [:\]

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#1]

[devil]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It starts when you have a lot of money in the bank and no real bills or when girls old enough to be your 18 year old daughter start hitting on you...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine started at 36.  A few years later I got divorced and went out and bought a Triumph TR6. I think that the mid life crisis in men may have something to do with the little head attempting to regain the level of decision making authority it had in our teen years.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you need one of these like right now...!

[img]http://www.fitzmotorsports.com/Viper/Viper_Images/DCP_0460.JPG[/img]

[url]http://www.fitzmotorsports.com/Viper/main_showroom.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Right about the time you get the minivan for most guys.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
When do you want it to start? House, bills, kids, can't do what you use to do, etc.... maybe there is some resentment that your tied down with responsiblilty. This hit me in my 40s. I think I'm over it now at 56... Wait a minute no I'm not!!!! BobK
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know, at 56, my whole life was a crises up 'til 15 years ago or so, so I wouldn't have noticed!! [:D]

What's goin' on?? Are you doubting your work/family??

Just mal-content??

Can't get it up?? What?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I redefine "crisis" on a monthly basis.

I am afraid to see this "mid-life" one everybody keeps talking about.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
It's what you make of it. I know a lot of guys equate happiness with material wealth. Gotta have that M3 Bimmer, Vette maybe even a mistress etc... They are miserable unless they get what they think they want. Hell, I know this cause I've been there done that. I got straigthened out real quick when I realized could wreck my marriage. BobK
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:15:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I just hit 39, but I'm divorced and do pretty much as I please now, so I don't expect any crisis.  Just in case, though, I've accumulated a "mid-life crisis fund" (in place of a college fund for my non-existent children).  That way if I wake up one morning with an urgent need to buy that Viper, I'll be able to do so.  [8D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I was born with a mid-life crisis
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine started a few years ago.

I rebuilt a thrashed '92 FZR1000, finished it and proceeded to get a 130+ mph speeding ticket on my way to Payson, AZ. for breakfast.

It was worth it...[:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#13]
29 - 34 for women; 35 - 45 for men.  BTW, it is not much fun.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine started at age 45.
I'm 47 now and think I just about got a handle on it...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#15]
It hit me at 37. I have no idea why 36 (3 dozen) was okay and cool, but 37 (3 dozen + 1) was something I had a hard time accepting. All of a sudden it seemed like life was slipping by.

Now I'm 44. I'm too old to care. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Mid-life crisis = That time when you realize that you are intended to spawn and die and you figure you might as well have fun before the later happens.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#17]
... Seriously, I'm not sure that there really is such a thing. A crisis from what? A crisis is finding out you have a debilitating and terminal disease. Or finding out your son or daughter was killed the night before.

... A crisis? From what, your career or your wife? You don't need to ask this board how to handle those types of "crisis". You already know that answer. My hedge against “the crisis” is fighting boredom.  Every time I start feeling sorry for myself I look at others that have it so much worse.  It’s not their pathetic situation that gets me through my crisis but rather observing how they handle it with grace, strength, and motivation and are looking for anything but pity.

... So without trying to sound callous or indifferent, I have a suggestion if you’re experiencing a mid life crisis. Do something completely different from your normal routine. It doesn’t need to involve huge amounts of cash but it should require a significant amount of your time. Plan to build something. Whether it’s a Harley Davidson from the ground up, contracting your own pool and backyard landscape or erect a cabin up north. Put your project manager’s cap on and dig into a long-term project like these and you’ll forget all about your crisis. I’m not big on organized religion but if you were of the inclination maybe some time donated to your church or some other worthy charitable cause would be good for you. If you’ve never attended college, start taking some evening courses in something that may interest you but have no experience in.

... Even relatively small “adjustments” in your life can keep you “fresh”. Example, when is the last time you rode your bicycle to work or to the store? What do you do after dinner? Change it, go for a walk. Skip lunches or leave the site and have it somewhere else with different people.  Change your diet and join a gym. This list goes on. If there are mid-life crisis they’re temporary things.

... By the way [b]The_Macallan[/b], thanks again for dropping by last Friday with the nice gift for my recreation room, and I’m not sure what the hubbub was all about a later that night prank phone call, but if it really was me; I’m sorry dude. Please come by sometime when you can stay a bit longer bro.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
... Seriously, I'm not sure that there really is such a thing. A crisis from what? A crisis is finding out you have a debilitating and terminal disease. Or finding out your son or daughter was killed the night before.

... A crisis? From what, your career or your wife? You don't need to ask this board how to handle those types of "crisis". You already know that answer. My hedge against “the crisis” is fighting boredom.  Every time I start feeling sorry for myself I look at others that have it so much worse.  It’s not their pathetic situation that gets me through my crisis but rather observing how they handle it with grace, strength, and motivation and are looking for anything but pity.

... So without trying to sound callous or indifferent, I have a suggestion if you’re experiencing a mid life crisis. Do something completely different from your normal routine. It doesn’t need to involve huge amounts of cash but it should require a significant amount of your time. Plan to build something. Whether it’s a Harley Davidson from the ground up, contracting your own pool and backyard landscape or erect a cabin up north. Put your project manager’s cap on and dig into a long-term project like these and you’ll forget all about your crisis. I’m not big on organized religion but if you were of the inclination maybe some time donated to your church or some other worthy charitable cause would be good for you. If you’ve never attended college, start taking some evening courses in something that may interest you but have no experience in.

... Even relatively small “adjustments” in your life can keep you “fresh”. Example, when is the last time you rode your bicycle to work or to the store? What do you do after dinner? Change it, go for a walk. Skip lunches or leave the site and have it somewhere else with different people.  Change your diet and join a gym. This list goes on. If there are mid-life crisis they’re temporary things.

... By the way [b]The_Macallan[/b], thanks again for dropping by last Friday with the nice gift for my recreation room, and I’m not sure what the hubbub was all about a later that night prank phone call, but if it really was me; I’m sorry dude. Please come by sometime when you can stay a bit longer bro.
View Quote

A nice [b]Road Trip[/b] is good for the soul, also.

Sorry I didn't make it, Mr. Wolf, Mac, etc...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
And then you have this to look forward to:

I Cannot See, I Cannot Pee!

Dr. Seuss on the Golden Years:

I cannot see

I cannot pee

I cannot chew

I cannot screw

My memory shrinks

My hearing stinks

No sense of smell

I look like hell

My body's drooping

Have trouble pooping

The Golden Years have come at last

The Golden Years can kiss my ass!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't know, at 56, my whole life was a crises up 'til 15 years ago or so, so I wouldn't have noticed!! [:D]

What's goin' on?? Are you doubting your work/family??

Just mal-content??

Can't get it up?? What?
View Quote
Nah, not doubting work or family.

There was a thread here a few days ago (Long time ago...) with folks posting old pics, made me dig mine out.

Being 18 was pretty good.

Was just listening to Bob Seger's "Like a Rock". There ain't a line in it I don't relate to.

Mal-content? Always! [:D]

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mal-content? Always! [:D]

View Quote

Well, keep up the good work!!  [snoopy]

Ya took so long to respond to your own thread, I thought ya mighta croaked from old age!! [ROFL]

(Happy New Year, to you and yours Mac...)
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just hit 39, but I'm divorced and do pretty much as I please now, so I don't expect any crisis.  Just in case, though, I've accumulated a "mid-life crisis fund" (in place of a college fund for my non-existent children).  That way if I wake up one morning with an urgent need to buy that Viper, I'll be able to do so.  [8D]
View Quote
............buy the viper, the kids can GET LOANS like you did.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good wisdom there mon!

I have been doing some mini-projects around the house. Last week I put in a new stepstone patio and dug out half my backyard filling in old gopherholes for getting ready for new planting, etc. But your advice about a long-term project sounds pretty good - or even just changing "the routine".  Thanks.

And for [b]Noname[/b] - Oooh yeah! [bounce]

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What made it worse was that very day I took a drive to the old neighborhood and saw the same house I grew up in.

It's really weird seeing your house and your yard that you always thought would be there and then see it again 20 years later and someone you don't know is living in it.
View Quote
Did the street and house seem real small to you now?

I did the same thing about 10 years ago, went back to Michigan and saw my old house I grew up in - the houses and streets seemed so big back then. Now just the trees are big.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Never mind when it starts - please tell me when it stops!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top