Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2004 9:48:46 PM EDT
www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1050165/posts

200-degree ground temps. 100-ft. lava domes under Yellowstone Lake. 88-degree water temperatures & tons of dead fish. Large sections of the park being closed to the public. Mega eruptions occur every 600K years, and we are 40K years over due!

Looks like an honest to God SHTF scenario may be brewing!

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool documentary about that about a year ago (nova?).

Turns out that a supervolcano almost wiped out humans.  People that study mitochondiral DNA and human population sizes figured out that humans almost became extinct a long time ago (something liek 30,00 years ago or something like that) and that the population of our species was likely only in the thousands afterwards!  Apparently, that event coincided with the last supervolcano explosion.  

Creepy - but fascinating.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
CRAP, REAL CASH WONT BE WORTH SHIT....OK OK...REMAIN CALM....WHO WANTS MY 10k BEFORE IT GOES POOF!!!!!

AHHAHHGHAAHAH  SHIIT WHAT TO DO....HEHEHHAHHAHAHHEHHAHAHAAHAAHHHA

YA YA YA YA YA   KKKKKKKKK///....
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like we could have a real blast!

Something is happening deep down in the earth, i know that.

within two months a 4.3 on the eastern coast quake, a 6.3 in southern californication, a 6.8 in Iran, and one in Japan that I forget how strong it was. = A whole lotta shakin goin on!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm ready.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh no, the sky is falling![:O]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Welp, an eruption would solve quite a few problems. Unfortunatly we'd inherit a crapload of new ones.

Oh well, WHO'S BRINGING MARSHMALLOWS??!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, that sure would end the debate about "Global Warming" wouldn't it?

The thing I find most fascinating about the "eco-weenies" is that they ignore the fact that the majority of the species on the planet have been wiped out on several occasions - long [i]before[/i] human beings were the dominant species.

And there's no reason to believe it can't happen again, without warning.

I, too, saw the NOVA or Discovery Channel or whatever special on the Supervolcano that is Yellowstone.

Gave me chills to think about.

Please, let's bust our asses and figure out a way to put human beings on the moon and Mars and even further into space before something catastrophic happens [i]again[/i].
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Reminds me, anyone have a gas mask in their BOB?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]
From the link...

Scientists Closely Monitoring Yellowstone

Recent eruptions, 200 degree ground temperatures, bulging magma and 88 degree water temperatures prompt heightened srutiny of park's geothermal activity...

BILLINGS, Mont. -- Yellowstone National Park happens to be on top of one of the largest "super volcanoes" in the world. [red]Geologists claim the Yellowstone Park area has been on a regular eruption cycle of 600,000 years. The last eruption was 640,000 years ago making the next one long overdue. This next eruption could be 2,500 times the size of the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption.[/red] Volcanologists have been tracking the movement of magma under the park and have calculated that, in parts of Yellowstone, the ground has risen over seventy centimeters this century.

In July, 2003, Yellowstone Park rangers closed the entire Norris Geyser Basin because of deformation of the land and excessive high ground temperatures. There is an area that is 28 miles long by 7 miles wide that has bulged upward over five inches since 1996, and [red]this year the ground temperature on that bulge has reached over 200 degrees (measured one inch below ground level).[/red]

There was no choice but to close off the entire area. [red]Everything in this area is dying[/red]: The trees, flowers, grass and shrubs. A dead zone is developing and spreading outward. The animals are literally migrating out of the park.

[red]Then during the last part of July one of the Park geologists discovered a huge bulge at the bottom of Yellowstone Lake. The bulge has already risen over 100 feet from the bottom of the lake and the water temperature at the surface of the bulge has reached 88 degrees and is still rising.[/red]

Keep in mind that Yellowstone Lake is a high mountain lake with very cold water temperatures. The Lake is now closed to the public. It is filled with dead fish floating everywhere. The same is true of the Yellowstone river and most of the other streams in the Park. [red]Dead and dying fish are filling the water everywhere.[/red]

Many of the picnic areas in the Park have been closed and people visiting the Park usually stay but a few hours before leaving since the stench of sulfur is so strong they literally can't stand the smell.

The irony of all this is the silence by the news media and our government. Very little information is available from Yellowstone personnel or publications. What mainstream newsstories do appear underscore the likelihood of a massive volcanic eruption. Though geologists publicly admit Yellowstone is "overdue," they have been quoted as stating another massive magma release may not occur for 100,000 or 2 million years. Others close to the story are convinced that a massive eruption is imminent. A source that has demonstrated first-hand knowledge of the park's history and recent geothermal events stated the following: "The American people are not being told that the explosion of this 'super volcano' could happen at any moment. [red]When Yellowstone does blow, some geologists predict that every living thing within six hundred miles is likely to die.[/red] The movement of magma has been detected just three-tenths of a mile below the bulging surface of the ground in Yellowstone raising concerns that this super volcano may erupt soon."
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Seismic activity is down.  

If it is an SHTF it will only be one for the people around there, except for the tin foil boys looking for an excuse to start potting the nasty Federal Postmen.

I would have liked to have visited it before it goes though.

We had a scare with magma moving in the Long Valley Caldera a few years ago and it withered away.  When they start really getting excited and moving folks out then I'll get concerned.

Let me see if I get this straight. It's a bad thing for the government to react minimally to a fairly low threat from Mother Nature, but if they try and be proactive to the terrorist threats it is a bad thing.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a giant zit that needs lancing.

CW
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
[ecoweenine]
But we absolutely can't let snowmobiles in the park, right??? It will 'kill' everything!!!
[/ecoweenine]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
NYPatriot, your post has an almost hopeful tone to it . . .
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I got my tinfoil hat on!
Bad thoughts go away!
Where's my teddy bear when I need him!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh well, WHO'S BRINGING MARSHMALLOWS??!!
View Quote

We ARE the MARSHMALLOWS!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Crap it's 553 miles to Billings from my place.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Crap it's 553 miles to Billings from my place.

View Quote

Billings is now in Yellowstone Park? [>:/]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm...with humanity in the thousands that means I just might get laid, ya know to re-populate. I cant wait!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#19]
No Billings is where the article was printed and a nice drive over the Bear Tooth Pass to the park.
Yellow Stone is closer to me, but didnt what to bring it up to see just how far.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#20]
NOTICE: Wyoming, Montana and Idaho are closed until further notice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:47:55 AM EDT
[#21]
If the super volcano blows you have nothing to fear but death it self...you WILL be dead.....so forget about that scenario.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:22:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hmmm...with humanity in the thousands that means I just might get laid, ya know to re-populate. I cant wait!
View Quote

Naw, I doubt it. [;D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Dang, it's gonna be real bad for the Chinese economy if that thing blows.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#24]
hmm lets see...

I suspect things won't change much we only get sun 30 days out of the year and we only have two types of weather up here. Cold and freezing.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:45:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like it's time to implement Strangelove's mineshaft plan.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:49:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Come the rapture, can I have your car?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:13:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
hmm lets see...

I suspect things won't change much we only get sun 30 days out of the year and we only have two types of weather up here. Cold and freezing.

View Quote

The cold season will be gone.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#28]
"It's a Republican plot so W can exploit the crisis to get steal another election."

-DU
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#29]
[url]www.earthmountainview.com/yellowstone/yellowstone.htm
[/url]
YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO GETTING READY TO BLOW ITS CORK

There is a 30% chance that Yellowstone will blow its cork in the next 6 months
and cause the 3 days of darkness spoke of in the Bible

compiled by Dee Finney

LATEST NEWS

Its worse than we are being told

updated 1-1-2004

YELLOWSTONE HEALTH PROBLEMS
10-19-03

Listen to On Site Report from Pam Schuffert  mp3

Yellowstone is always shifting.
Last year, typical for the era when such measurements have been made, there were about 2,300 earthquakes in the park.

There is more on that page.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Just a matter of time
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/141064/IMG_0290.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I went to Yellowstone 4 years ago. At least I got to see it before it's gone.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Might be a good time to "stock up" a little.  I wonder when/if this will take front page before it blows.  I'm guessing not because of wide spread chaos created by media outlets.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, that sure would end the debate about "Global Warming" wouldn't it?

The thing I find most fascinating about the "eco-weenies" is that they ignore the fact that the majority of the species on the planet have been wiped out on several occasions - long [i]before[/i] human beings were the dominant species.

And there's no reason to believe it can't happen again, without warning.

I, too, saw the NOVA or Discovery Channel or whatever special on the Supervolcano that is Yellowstone.

[blue]Gave me chills to think about.[/blue]

Please, let's bust our asses and figure out a way to put human beings on the moon and Mars and even further into space before something catastrophic happens [i]again[/i].
View Quote

I saw the program too. Let me tell you about chills.

I live in western Colorado. About ½ way between New Mexico and Wyoming. I'm not sure I live far enough away. [shock] I figure this area won't die immediatly, but will within the first 15-20 minutes. In other words, we'll have just enough time to say "O SHIT" and wish we were somewhere else. I think I'd rather live closer, so I didn't know [u]it[/u] happened.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#34]
If it is an SHTF it will only be one for the people around there
View Quote

Actually, not true at all.  The people around it will die instantly, of course.  The rest of us in North America will die gradually over the next year or so.  Those a thousand miles away will die in choking clouds of Hydrogen Sulfide gas, or the fire storm that will be started.  The rest of us will die slowly of starvation as the earth's sky darkens for three to six months, plunging us into an ice age.

Forget the guns, only huge mountain men of Scottish decent will survive (and only because we are willing to make a coat out of everyone else).  [nana]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Oh, yeah, check this out...

[url]http://www.rense.com/general41/yellowstoneupdate.htm[/url]

[party]Happy New year!!![party]

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#37]
The ground is unstable in areas now , look at this parking lot, one day it was black asphaltr, the next day, a sink hole full of boiling water.
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/141064/IMG_0312.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#38]
There's not a hell of a lot that you can do about something like that except put some distance between you and it and prepare as well as you can for your own survival.

So who else is making contingency plans to move to another continent and near the equator?

I hear Libya's nice...[rofl]

CJ
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Too bad it not under NYC or LA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Would you guys just SHUT UP about this!?!?!

I am sitting here in BILLINGS, MT -- just a mere 70-80 miles from Yellowstone that you're making me nervous.

Actually... I too saw that PBS special last year. Scary stuff. But since I'm basically sitting on top of it, why worry? There's nothing I can do about it and me and my family probably wouldn't even know what hit us. Just lots of violent shaking, and blackness an instant before being buried alive under tons of ash and debris.

Hmmm... won't be much use for my Bushy AR and stash of 30-round mags and ammo. Maybe I'd better give it away to one of you guys before it gets buried. Nah... better keep it just in case it the sky doesn't fall afterall. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Looks like the real deal. Maybe I better get to stocking up on more food.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like a bunch of [BS2] to me...

Lets hear from someone who actually GOES there on a regular basis:

[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1050165/posts?page=374#374[/url]

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#43]
This could go on for centuries guys.  I'm not worried and yeah I live far away.  And if I was close I wouldn't worry.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I remember this stuff from my undergrad geology class.  Our prof told us about the various kinds of volcanoes and that there are three giant calderas in the US.  One in Yellowstone, one in New Mexico and one that makes up the Long Valley area of California/Nevada.  All are HUGE...and all have blown up in the past.

The prof went on to explain how, when they blow, the resulting explosions are thousands of time larger than the largest H-bomb ever exploded and that they toss hundreds of cubic miles of material up into the atmosphere.  Over time, much falls right back into the giant hole...but must of the lighter stuff ends up in the upper atmosphere...how do you spell nuclear winter.  How bad it will be will depend on the size of the blast and the amount of material blown out.

USGS scientists are even now watching the giant caldera volcanoes very carefully, looking for signs of imminent blowout.  Satellites and ground sensors like lasers monitor the rise of the earth and listen to the magma moving underground.  On site inspections keep watch too...so we should have lots of warning.

I'll tell you this much...having seen some graphic depictions of the last big blow of a caldera, I wouldn't want to be within about 1,000 miles of the damn thing.  It will NOT be pretty.  Think of Krakatoa or Mt. Pinatubo multiplied 10,000 times...or even MORE!  [shock]

No shit guys...when this thing goes boom...whether next week or in 100,000 years, it will be catastrophic.

The Internet has lots of stuff on caldera...some of it will scare the hell out of you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#45]
[URL=http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/new.html]http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/new.html[/URL]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#46]
False Alarm?  [url=www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2003/12/07/news/03whassupbzbigs.txt]Yellowstone a hotspot of contention[/url]
The Internet news about Yellowstone National Park's volcano sure didn't look cheery.

In fact, it was ghastly.

"We are overdue for annihilation," claimed one Web site.

"There is no question that this thing is going to explode momentarily," asserted another.

And it went on from there over the past couple of months in chat rooms and e-mail messages.

One widely posted e-mail claimed the park contained a "dead zone" that was spreading outward, killing everything. Yellowstone Lake was "filled with dead fish floating everywhere."

Plus, there was a conspiracy afoot.

"Our wonderful news media is not telling the public a thing about this," the anonymous, but widespread, message maintained.

It cited as a source the Kansas City Star, which the author of the e-mail presumably saw as a nonparticipant in the conspiracy of silence.

Like many others from around the nation, a Star reporter had written about the Yellowstone volcano -- a topic that isn't new to most people living in or near the park -- but he had made no calamitous predictions in the Oct. 7 article.

In fact, the story downplayed any concerns of imminent catastrophe.

"A good solid newspaper article got falsified on the Internet," said Hank Heasler, the park's geologist. "It's interesting how the anarchy of the Web contributes to misinformation."

Some people didn't see it that way. Apparently believing anonymous e-mail instead of the newspaper, they denounced the Star, "angry that we hadn't done more about the 'Yellowstone catastrophe,'" wrote Yvette Walker, the paper's readers' representative. Others e-mailed the reporter, telling him he was "either helping the government whitewash the Yellowstone story, or that he's an unwitting dupe."

Yellowstone was designated as a national park in 1872 because of its unique and fascinating geology. It contains the world's largest set of thermal features: fumaroles and mudpots and geysers that are heated by a "hotspot" of magma under the park's surface.

That hotspot also constitutes the base of one of the world's largest volcanoes, though it's largely invisible and hasn't erupted for 70,000 years.

Three times in the past 2.1 million years, the park has blown its top, covering much of the country in deep layers of volcanic ash and wreaking havoc with global weather systems. The last big eruption was 640,000 years ago, and there have been 30 smaller ones since then. The most recent was 70,000 years ago.

Things are still moving around, though.

"Yellowstone is one of the world's largest active volcanoes," Heasler said.

All this has been well known for decades.

Yet for a considerable period this fall, alarmed people called the park, worried about a mega-explosion.

"The phones did ring off the hook" for a while in early October, said Stacy Valle, a park spokeswoman.

But why all the renewed interest, all the heightened fears?

Part of it stems from new research last summer that detailed a "bulge" on the floor of Lake Yellowstone. It's probably related to thermal activity, Heasler said, but it isn't necessarily new.

Rather, new technology just defined it better.

Heasler compared the new underwater mapping to a person with poor eyesight finally putting on a pair of eyeglasses. For years, that person might have admired the shapes of distant hills, but didn't see the trees on them until purchasing spectacles.

That person's world got more interesting, but that doesn't mean the trees weren't there before, Heasler observed.

The bulge discovery was outlined in newspapers and broadcasts around the country. Then rumor mongers and apocalyptic types on the Internet got involved.

"[red]The volcano erupts [b]with a near clockwork cycle[/b] of every 600,000 years,[/red]" according to the Web site armageddononline.com, which notes the last big eruption was 640,000 years ago.

That site also sells "books, videos and DVDs related to the end of the world" and says it gets 90,000 hits a month.

Some of those people called the park.

"There's been a lot of energy and effort devoted to the concerns people have about the park blowing up," said Heasler, who lives in Yellowstone and hasn't packed any bags.

Another Web site connected the Yellowstone situation to a planetary link with Mars.

When the National Park Service last summer closed part of the Norris Geyser Basin, the most geologically active place in the park, it added to the speculation. Soil temperatures there reached 200 degrees and a new thermal feature opened up and started splashing acidic mud across a trail.

For obvious reasons, the area was closed to the public. It was reopened when things cooled off.

It's all pretty interesting stuff, but not all that unusual at Norris.

"It occurs basically yearly," Heasler said.

The idea that Yellowstone is "overdue" for a giant eruption is a "gross overstatement," according to the Web site of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory, a project that combines the research talents of the federal government and the University of Utah.

A more likely event, Heasler said, would be a magma flow, events which happen all the time around the world.

If the big one does come, it will give warnings and modern instruments likely will detect it, Heasler said.

The park's frequent, low-intensity earthquakes -- there were an average of six a day in 2002 -- probably would become a lot more intense if a major eruption was brewing, Heasler said.

The park likely would be evacuated, as would parkside communities, he said, and the media is unlikely to let a story like that go untold.

"All that's good stuff for a novel, but isn't worth spending a lot of time on now," Heasler added.

The park is a fascinating geology lab, showcasing changes that normally take hundreds of thousands or millions of years.

"Here, it's on a daily basis," Heasler said. "The thermal features are normal," but that means they're always rearranging themselves, sometimes causing paths or areas to be closed for reasons of public safety.

"Is that unusual?" he asked. "Heck no. Just ask the boardwalk crew. But we see no sort of indication of any sort of impending eruption."
View Quote
A "near clockwork cycle" eh?  With an accuracy of +/- 120,000 years or so?

Could happen without warning.  Nothing we can do to stop it.

Why worry?  Be happy!

Besides, there's always the possibility of a meteor the size of Texas hitting Earth, right?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#47]
[red]When Yellowstone does blow, some geologists predict that every living thing within six hundred miles is likely to die.[/red]
View Quote

420 miles as the crow flies.  Why did I move to NM, again?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Has a few good graphics with it:

[url]http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#49]
According to this site...

[url]http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/fact-sheet/fs036-00/[/url]

The initial blast from Mt. Saint Helens was rated at 7 megatons.

2500 times Mt. Saint Helens?  A 17.5 gigaton blast?

That sounds like a planet killer to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Too bad it not under NYC or LA.
View Quote

Too bad it's not under your mother's house.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top