Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2004 7:28:54 PM EDT
Ok,

I have a question, and maybe this has been discussed a million times, but...

I used to play a game called AC.  It was an online game.

Well, there was a game site called CoD.  It was a victum of script kiddies.  Ya know, where people who hated the game, and had some script knowledge - they spammed the boards.

They used computers of unsuspecting owners to bombard the CoD site, so all the boards were extra slow and most of the time, you'd time out trying to get to it.  It was very infuriating.

I often wondered over the past month when I'd try to get to AR15, and I ended up timing out because of what I suspect was extremely heavy traffic, i've wondered if AR15.com was a victum of this.

Thoughts?  Couldn't you just picture anti-gun script kiddies attacking this site?  I wonder if that happens to bushmaster, cus there site times out all the time.

It happened to that AC game site.  They were able to stop it, but it took them a year.

If this sounds crazy, it's cuz I'm drunk, but I've often thought AR15.com and Bushmaster.com were victums of some sort of heavy traffic attack.

Thoughts?  

E (qiii)
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
the only time i have had time out problems was when the site was down. I've never had a problem with bushmasters site at all.

The worst i have seen here is LOOOONG load times. I am sure we have been attacked a few times. Most likely from DU'ers that got pissed of by our guys trolling them.

mike
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never been unable to get to ARFcom (excluding the outages of course). I do notice however, that refresh times are get rather slow when there are lots of users online. (Duh!)

It seems more like a bandwidth issue than a DoS attack.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
well it was just a thought, but that CoD site I mentioned for Asheron's Call had a lot of posters, just like this site.

I bet if you asked around, you'd find a ton of gamers on this site, and I bet some had similar experiences in popular online games.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
All you need to do is to record the IP's of the attackers and have the ISP filter them at the router connecting us to the Internet. A router can drop packets much faster than a computer can make them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the best, and slowest, site on the internet.

Good thing it is relevant and popular, otherwise it would have tanked long ago.

It's a love hate thing...

Bob

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys know what I mean thought right?

Script kiddies get thousands or even tens of thousands of unsuspecting computers at their control.  And then they use them like attack bots.

If my memory was better, I'd give you a better description, but you couldn't get all them with out a ton of manhours working the problem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys know what I mean thought right?

Script kiddies get thousands or even tens of thousands of unsuspecting computers at their control.  And then they use them like attack bots.

If my memory was better, I'd give you a better description, but you couldn't get all them with out a ton of manhours working the problem.
View Quote
You are searching for 'denial of service attack', quite likely.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I know what you are talking about. Unsecured machines that can be remotely used to launch attacks against a given host, basically choking it to death.

However, if you try the site at about 5am EST/ 2am PST, response time is EXCELLENT. Virus and DoS attacks don't go to bed, but us bandwidth hogs do.

Again, I think it is just a (lack of) bandwidth during peak hours. Remember, this is a privately hosted site. It isn't a multi-billion dollar corporation with a dedicated IT budget. Bandwidth is still pretty expensive. Considering what it takes to run a site like this, I say it does pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
you guys are right, denial of service attacks is what I remember it being called.

and also, you're right about early in the morning.  CoD had the problem all the time, and this site doesn't.

Good reason to support this site, and I agree, it does damn good.

I didn't mean to say it didn't, i love this site.

Still, when I get lag, or timeouts, i'm imagining liberals messing with us.  I'm probably wrong, and paranoid.   no....I am paranoid, not probably paranoid.

i guess reading your posts, it's obvious you thought of this as a possibility and it's not the situation.

regardless, don't trust liberal.

=)

E (Qiii)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top