Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2004 5:12:14 PM EDT
Fellas I found this rifle in a pawn shop. It is in poor condition. I have never heard of Palmetto Armory before. I think it could possibly be what is now Olympic arms. It has a pre-ban A1 upper serial on the lower is 405X. I would like to know if this is a decent lower, and if it is a pre-ban for sure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the Palmettos were all prebans, quite a few of them were built up from bare receivers. I made up 3 rifles this way my self, roughly '79-85 as near as I remember. I think you're correct about them becoming Olympic Arms.

One thing you want to check is whether there are M16 fire control parts in the lower. Back then it was still legal to use them and you don't need any problems with the BATFE, right?

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm.... Palmetto Arms is in Italy and makes reproduction cartridge and black powders guns.  Wonder if there's any connection?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Palmetto Armory is not Pallmetto Arms.

Palmetto Armory is not or was not Olympic Arms.

Olympic Arms used to manufacture the lowers for Palmetto Armory.

If you buy a Palmetto Armory lower and it is marked with SGW Olympic Arms and it falls into the serial range as listed by Olympic Arms then Olympic Arms will remanufacture it for the cost of a new forged lower.

http://www.olyarms.com/serialnumbers.html

SN Range:  
1000 - 8845

1st Date - End Date:
03/14/79 06/04/82

Special Notes:
Cut from Aluminum Bar Stock
Most made for other manufacturers
such as Palmetto Armory

It is worth about $800 at the most.
Preban Oly lowers are in the $700-800 range on the equipment exchange.
Anything more than $1000 is a rip-off.

Quoted:
Hmmm.... Palmetto Arms is in Italy and makes reproduction cartridge and black powders guns.  Wonder if there's any connection?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:06:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew a guy here in Philly back in the 70's that was putting together AR's with this receiver out of a Gun Range / Shop on Blakiston St.....They were real pieces of shit...Jam machines...It was probably the guy building em...

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Shit, I'd buy one if I found one.  Call me screwy, but I like "odd" lowers.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shit, I'd buy one if I found one.  Call me screwy, but I like "odd" lowers.
View Quote

Well, then, you're an "odd" kinda guy!

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info fellas. Don't want to buy a POS, and if it wasn't pre-ban it really wasn't worth the price. Everyone was a big help thanks again.

T
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top