Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 12:35:15 PM EDT
Went to the range today and brought my old Webley Mark VI.  It was originally a .455 Webley, but has been converted to .45 Auto Rim.  You could also use .45 ACP with half-moon clips.

It was probably made for WWI, but may have been used in WWII. It is marked "NZ" for New Zeland.

These were stout revolvers.  They break open to load and unload.

I load mine with .454 sized bullets of between 230 to 255 grains weight.  It likes the heavier bullets best.

Kind of makes you want to holler, "Steady lads!  Hold the line till I give the order to fire!"

I wonder if it ever saw real action?

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Captured two of the Webleys here in the sandbox.  Still functional.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:43:15 AM EDT
[#2]
that top strap (if that is what it's called) is beefy as hell.

-HS
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Captured two of the Webleys here in the sandbox.  Still functional.
View Quote

Doesn't surprise me that they still work.  They are built for abuse.

This one is one of two that my mother's second husband's brother brought back from WWII.  He gave them to me as he was uninterested in firearms.  

I sure have enjoyed shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Who's the funny looking guy with the tan hat???????It's always fun to shoot an old gun. Once in awhile I break out my mis matched "shooter" Luger. It's a 1916 DWM...Your Webley will make a nice heirloom......
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I always figgered you as a "cap and ball" type guy.

you know, reliving childhood and all. [;D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who's the funny looking guy with the tan hat???????It's always fun to shoot an old gun. Once in awhile I break out my mis matched "shooter" Luger. It's a 1916 DWM...Your Webley will make a nice heirloom......
View Quote

I know it looks like Tom Selleck, but it's actually me.

brasspile said:
I always figgered you as a "cap and ball" type guy.

you know, reliving childhood and all.
View Quote

In that case, I'd be using a slingshot and a rock. [:D]

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice pic, Old_Painless. Your Webley Mark VI sure is a beauty, and in  fine condition too. It's always nice to see older weapons being used for enjoyment once in a while, and not just sitting in storage.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice pic, Old_Painless. Your Webley Mark VI sure is a beauty, and in  fine condition too. It's always nice to see older weapons being used for enjoyment once in a while, and not just sitting in storage.
View Quote

Ummm, I think he is talking about the revolver....  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got one still in .455, and looks to be in the identical condition as yours.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummm, I think he is talking about the revolver....  
View Quote

[ROFL]  Good one Brasspile.

Yea, oneshot, I have no use for safe queens.  If I can't shoot it, I sell it.  Guns are made to shoot, not just look at.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got one still in .455, and looks to be in the identical condition as yours.
View Quote

Yep, DriftPunch, if they weren't abused and allowed to rust or something, they tend to be in pretty good condition.

The finish is a little rough, but it wasn't designed for being pretty, but to hold up under use.  That it does.

Another interesting thing about these revolvers is typical of British guns of that period.  Almost every screw in the pistol is a different size and has a different sized screwdriver slot.  It takes about three screwdrivers to tighten them all up after a long range session.

The take-down screw has a slot about 1/8 th inch wide.  I've been told this was so a shilling could be used to unscrew it if no screwdriver was available.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn, your arms, sure are WHITE!!  [:D]

A Very Happy New Year to you, my old friend...[snoopy]!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I load mine with .454 sized bullets of between 230 to 255 grains weight.  It likes the heavier bullets best.
View Quote

How well does it work against drywall?  [;D]
View Quote

Like butter. [:D]

Zulu shields too.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep, DriftPunch, if they weren't abused and allowed to rust or something, they tend to be in pretty good condition.
View Quote

Looking again, yours seems to be in better condtion.  Is it parkerized? It appears to be, and if it is, it was refurbed prior to WWII, as they were not originally parked.  Mine has now faded into a patina, and the backstrap appears to have been painted with a black paint at one point(most of that paint is gone now).

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Damn, your arms, sure are WHITE!!  [:D]

A Very Happy New Year to you, my old friend...[snoopy]!!!
View Quote

Just like all the rest of me.  It's, apparently, a curse. [:D]

Happy new year to you too, old buddy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice pics, OP. your revolver was likely carried by a higher rank, as it shows little finish wear.  The guns with stories to tell lived out in the weather, and generally look like crap.  I shot a .38 Webley, the round is anemic but the pistol is robust.  The Brits commonly Parked firearms after WW2 and painted them.  Ops
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Looking again, yours seems to be in better condtion.  Is it parkerized? It appears to be, and if it is, it was refurbed prior to WWII, as they were not originally parked.  Mine has now faded into a patina, and the backstrap appears to have been painted with a black paint at one point(most of that paint is gone now).

View Quote

Yep, mine appears to be parkerized.  Much of it is worn kind of thin, but it still looks good.

And look at that firing pin on the second pic.  Now [u]there's[/u] a firing pin.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Very nice OP.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#20]
still remember the step dad wiring a Webley to a tree load it with .45acp and string the trigger....it was the bulldog....big hunk of Iron no dought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top