Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2004 12:04:11 PM EDT
I only caught a glimpse on CNN! Some guy was pulled over and the cops found swords, ammo and of course an "assault weapon"!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Militia man or Mall ninja? We'll need more info to assess this situation.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
First off why are you watching CNN?...

Second what did they say about Militia Men?

I am pro Militia, but you will find most on the board that will mock and just belittle you for what you think. In other words Anti-Militia (or scared...)

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I think this guy just drew bad cards.

As gun owners I'm sure we've all had once or twice where we've had alot of stuff in our trunks.

I saw a quick clip, and he had an ammo box with about 10 loaded mags, and a bunch of gun stuff.

I usually always travel with my mags empty and separate from my guns to be safe.

I feel bad if this guy was just moving, or going to the range or a friends with pre-loaded mags.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Lets face it, there's a stigma of being associated with a militia.  Militias are thought of as racist, backwood, tax dodging rednecks with a low IQ and a confederate flag painted on their trailer.

HOWEVER, while working at a gun store, we had people come in who were doctors, lawyers, techies, etc who where associated with a militia and they were buying some serious hardware!  I sold this one doctor 5 AR15's and some "junk" Maadi AK's for his sons and wife, because he wanted them to join him at the "compound" on their training weekends.  Plus, he wanted them to be able to fend off badguys (JBT's) and to be able to take care of themselves if he were killed.

He wasn't the tin foil type, he didn't spout off about distrust of the gov, he was just very matter of fact about the need to obey the 2nd Amendment and to be PREPARED for hostilities, not to start them.  Oh yeah, he was jewish by looking at his last name - not your typical backwoods racist...

Anyway, these days, if you have a gun, you're guilty unless proven harmless.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am pro Militia, but you will find most on the board that will mock and just belittle you for what you think. In other words Anti-Militia (or scared...)

View Quote

I'm pro militia.  I'm anti camo-clad, beer swilling, bearded, SKS toting, running around in the Michigan woods.  I'm anti Norm Olsen (Napolean complex), Steve Anderson (5150 and attempt cop killer) , & Charlie Puckett (Burglar).

When the "organized" militia swears off these nuts in their leadership, then mayber you guys wont get mocked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Was the sword a pre ban? [BD]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
YEP!! Looked preban to me![pound]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I only caught a glimpse on CNN! Some guy was pulled over and the cops found swords, ammo and of course an "assault weapon"!
View Quote

So?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
More info Please...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm pro militia.  I'm anti camo-clad, beer swilling, bearded, SKS toting, running around in the Michigan woods.
View Quote

minus the Beer while shooting...What is wrong with any part of this?

When the "organized" militia swears off these nuts in their leadership, then mayber you guys wont get mocked.
View Quote

The can you show me the "Organized" militia?....

Im just a guy that works to put food on the table. I think that the BOR and the Constitution should be protected at all costs, Tyrants should be held for crimes against the people no matter what country they come from.

I am just wondering what Militia units claim Steve Anderson, Charlie Pucket, or Norm Olsen for "Leadership"....
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
You are arguing with a propoganda machine...[:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You are arguing with a propoganda machine...[:D]
View Quote

What was I thinking?....

Im sorry, [b]AR15Fan[/b] I am glad to hear that you are Pro Militia, I think you and I are on the same wave..I do not run around wearing Camo, but I do think that anyone that is able to pick up a rifle, Is fooling him/herself if they think they are not Militia.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am just wondering what Militia units claim Steve Anderson, Charlie Pucket, or Norm Olsen for "Leadership"....
View Quote

Norm was the leader of the Michigan Militia. He testified before congress, in uniform, as the defacto leader of all militia.

Charlie Puckett was the CO of the Kentucky Militia. Until BATF went after him for weapons violations, and for potentionaly harboring a fugitive (anderson). He skipped bail for awhile.
[url]http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=008hV7[/url]

[url]http://www.freekentucky.com/stryarch02/norman.htm[/url]

Steve Anderson was an officer in the Kentucky militia.  He had a popular radio show where he broadcast his hatred for Jews, and was working hard to unite several midwestern militias, warning us that "something big" was in the works...until he fell off his meds and while on the way home from a Militia meeting he tried to kill a Sheriff's deputy and his ride-a-long with an illegaly converted AK.

[url]http://www.adl.org/learn/news/kent_militia.asp[/url]

Then, about 18 months ago, there was the  midwestern militia unit that tried to blow up a college theature because they were performing a play the militia didnt like.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
he will be labeled as a terrorist and be disposed of accordingly, not a matter of innocence or guilt, truth or a lie
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Sheeet.  The guy had some  swords and a few guns and mags?

On an average Sunday AM going shooting I leave home with at least 2 machinguns, 40 loaded mags, a couple extra semi rifles, couple pistols, and extra ammo just in case.   For the record, I am breaking no laws.

Oh, I guess since I don't have a sword I'm OK.

BTW, how did this guy get a "militia" tag.   Did he claim it or did CNN just hang it on him?

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
He probably had an LE-Only Almanac.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#17]
so whats the deal with the almanac
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#18]
FNC just showed some video. The guy was here in Ohio. It is against the law to travel with loaded mags in a vehicle as I understand it in my great state. The 'assault weapon' was  an FAL sitting on its bipod.

The story sounded like he was on his way to the range.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He probably had an LE-Only Almanac.
View Quote

Yeah its all fun and games till someone gets hurt with a almanac. We need more laws.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#20]
But he had [i]a thousand rounds[/i] of ammo!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so whats the deal with the almanac
View Quote

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=221007[/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Ohio Revised Code
Section 2923.16

(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded and is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) In plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

Note: Some case law exists that deems a loaded magazine within reach of a handgun as a "loaded handgun". While the scope of this decision is not known it is likely statewide. Improper transportation is a misdemeanor, concealed carry is a felony.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#23]

More likely the guy was guilty of no more than not knowing or following state laws on transportation of his toys. Like it or not, we have to be careful or we will be branded like the one in question.

Unless you are wanting to make a stand on principal, watch your laws... fullclip

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I do think that anyone that is able to pick up a rifle, Is fooling him/herself if they think they are not Militia.
View Quote

Why do you say that?

I am not in the militia.  I will never be in the militia.  Most militia types are wannabee's and just want to play dress up.  Not that there is anything particulary wrong with that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am not in the militia.  I will never be in the militia.  Most militia types are wannabee's and just want to play dress up.  Not that there is anything particulary wrong with that.
View Quote

According to U.S. Code, all able-bodied males between the ages of 17 and 60 are in the unorganized militia.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't understand; was the gun in the passenger compartment?  If it was in the trunk, this guy committed no crime in OH.  Unless the FAL is a post-94 AW.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

According to U.S. Code, all able-bodied males between the ages of 17 and 60 are in the unorganized militia.
View Quote

He didn't say unorganized militia.  He said militia, and besides, I'm getting ready to go over 30 years in the USMC.  Twenty active and ten inactive, plus an undisclosed amount of ongoing federal service, where I work with all the services.

Militia = wannabees, but not bad people for the most part, IMO.  

Edited to add:  I just relooked my time, and I went over 30 in October, so now I'm transferred to the Marine Corps Retired List!

I'll still be available if needed.[(:)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

He didn't say unorganized militia.  He said militia...
View Quote

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#30]
It was CNN who tagged the guy miltia! Just like the Bushy used in the recent sniper shootings was called a "SNIPER RIFLE"! CNN loves to stir shit with inflamatory remarks

Some one once said "They ve got their heads wedged up their ass!"
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#31]
FOX just mentioned that the guy wa spulled over for speeding and the cop called for backup after seeing a 'gun' (may have said weapon, I don't remember the exact terminology). They said what they found was "a sword, an ASSAULT rifle, and OVER 1000 ROUNDS OF AMMO".

They never said he was milita, paramilitary, or a terrorist, but they did make it seem BAD that someone would have an ASSAULT rifle AND have 1000 rounds of ammo must be up to no-good or have bad intent somehow.

I just realized that I could be looked at in much the same (negative) light on most days. Such a shame.

[b]I don't think the liberals, both those in any type of law making position (whether it is at the local, state or federal level) as well as the media, will rest until all we have left to shoot is spit balls and rubber bands.[/b]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#32]
He must have been carrying an "ALMANAC",
yeah thats why he got stopped!!!![:)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't find anything written on this incident but aren't they looking for some highway shooter in OH.

Might not be the best time to be driving around with a rifle in your car.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, we encourage that type of behavior in the great state of Texas!
Cop: "Are these your weapons, son?
Perp: "Damn strait!"
Cop: "Move along"

Almanac - it's what's for dinner!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can't find anything written on this incident but aren't they looking for some highway shooter in OH.

Might not be the best time to be driving around with a rifle in your car.
View Quote

Ah, good point. Forgot about that. I can understand why any LEO would have concern about the situation. If the OH highway shooter is still on the loose, I can see where that would probably bring added scruntiny. The national Code Orange during a holiday season probably only bumps up the pucker factor several more notches.

I can't speak for others, but what concerns me is the label of "militia". WTF? If there is other evidence to justify the label, dish it up. Otherwise, STFU. I think that was the whole point of the thread anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#36]
This state and our population,(over 12million) is not that small. If the OHP started detaining anyone with a rifle in there vehicle, a large number of our population would be behind bars.

Remember, Ohio has no CCW. I find it easier to carry an AR in the back seat with 10 mags in the trunk. I'm sure other people who live in Ohio do the same.

So, are we left to defend our selves with billy clubs and lead filled bats? Time will tell.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Around here most guns are a hell of a lot more legal than billy clubs and lead filled bats.

And IIRC if you are in the active or retired military (drawing pay - either retainer or retired) you are not a member of the militia.  You can't be both, granted it's a technicality but it's there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#38]
So now according to the news anyone who has a Semi auto is in the right wing militia, whether they claim to be or not.

I didn't know even the Militias i know about consider swords standard gear!!! Course it beats the hell out of hand to hand if you can just lop the enemies head off!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top