Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 11:39:22 AM EDT
Any reason not to use impact sockets as std sockets. I understand why not the other way.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I was always taught that if needed, impact sockets could be used as standard sockets but standards will not hold up on an impact wrench.

Second the price difference.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
i've used both impact and standard sockets on an impact wrench. i've broken both using an impact wrench. never broke an impact while using it as a standard socket though.

standard sockets, when dropped on your forehead, don't hurt as much as impact sockets do.[B)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Impact sockets have much thicker walls to resist the pounding. Regular handwrench sockets are thinner so they will fit in tighter spaces.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Never use a chrome-plated socket or extension bar with an impact wrench.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#6]
DzlBenz: Good point. I've heard that the thinner walled chromed ones will shatter and injure/blind you when used in impact applications.

BTW: the black thicked-walled impact sockets are cheaper than the chromed one one because they don't have to do all the expensive polishing and the heavy-duty chrome plating.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Non inpact will shatter and you'll put your eye out!

Seriously, though, other than the differences in types available and the possibility of a thicker wall not fitting into tight places, there is no practical difference.  I do what you are thinking of doing:  I have a set of impact sockets, which serves as a socket set with a relatively inexpensive ratchet drive handle.  If, as I, you do not use the tools professionally, but just on a home repair level, I see no reason not to save an extra set like this.  I try to minimize the overall accumulation of stuff, and try to condense like this.   I would also add that, in the situation of a tight fit, or specialized size or type, buy just that one exact socket, which is the best course anyway.  I know my computer uses a specific two sizes of torx, so I have only those two instead of a set.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]
i have used craftsman, and snap-on non impact sockets for impact duty for years, when i need em, they get drafted, and the other way too, all my sockets go both ways
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top