Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 10:38:46 AM EDT
Don't really want to spend all that much on one, but looking at a new Technics or good used Thorens.  Don't know much about the Thorens, but heard they are very good.  Have lots of vinyl I'd like to transer over to my Nakamichi RX-505 deck.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Try Sam Ash or Musicians friend.
They stock them for the DJ's

I seem  to recall that Radio Shack still has them but I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Yamaha PX-3 linear tracker, but think the electronics are going to he$$  on it.  Don't think it's worth fixing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
REGA and a CD burner.

[url]http://www.rega.co.uk/[/url]
[url]http://nadelectronics.com/turntable/index.htm[/url]

You have a bunch of Billy beer stashed away, don'tcha?

Dave S
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, skip transfering to a Phillips Cassette and go to a high resolution digital format else in a couple of years you'll be asking for someone to recommend a cassette player to transfer to MP3.

I've got a Revox linear and a really old Marantz with a vacuume platter [:)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two Technics SL-1200 M3D 's .. they are so, so sweet.  You can get them for a song on ebay like I did (mine were only 1 month old, guy was getting married, needed cash).

One word of advice though, don't skimp on cartridges and needles -- if you are transferring vinyl to digital for permanent storage / playback you want the best quality you can get.  Go with Ortofon, and yes, I'm sorry you will have to spend ~$150 per cartridge , but the sound will be well worth it.

James
PS: Get an eliptical stylus rather than a spherical (sometimes called conical) stylus for better sound quality.  Also keep in mind that even while Ortofon is tip-top, their "DJ" models are not always optimized for sound quality but rather things like tracking (tho quality is excellent).  If you will not be doing any scratchmixing, but rather seek fidelity, get the NightClub version which hast he best sound quality of the DJ-related models (Pro, Concord, Night Club).  I think they may have some models targeted specifically for broadcast and super duper sound quality, but these are not generally available in the US and I don't know their model names, you'll have to google for Ortofons homepage and then probably order from a store in Europe.  Good luck!

PPS: I found Ortofon's page of moving coil cartridges/stylii models; these will offer you the best of the best, but I don't know where to order them or how much they cost:
http://www.ortofon.com/html/body_moving_coil_technical_data.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#7]
[beck]WHERE IT'S AT!...I got two turntables an' a microphone...[/beck]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 20 year old Sansui. It works great and I'm never letting it go. I need something to play the old KISS records on.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#10]
vmax84: I recommend that you heed Paul's words. The cassette is fading. The Nakamichis are good decks in their time, but can't come close to the digital format available today.

Paul: You're showing your age. I could never afford to get one of those linear tracking tone arms. Got a carbon fiber Infinity Black Widow & a Shure V15 type4(the V15 type 4 is still being made today right here in the USA) and a Teac DDX1000 turntable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My idea was to copy most of my LP's (having got tons of great stuff like "The Bangles, Cindy Lauper, Tears for Fears, The Go-Go's, etc) that I would like to listen to again, but would like to record them (to save wear and tear on my valuable LP's) onto some type of format.  The Nakamichi RX-505 (and I've got tons of good chrome and metal tapes) run thru my DBX processor does a very good job at recording, however, how would I transfer them to some type of digital format?  

I mean, could you live without some of these classics??!!!  

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Technics SL-1200

[url]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RAAAAG8TKocJtuaQd1BxhfdfkePRqOarkQb87eEC6xsRNM4DdS9CvaFI5HvWTRKkYq3l0rW!2MnG5hSJoKK3PCO7SSuBcDBNsEI5buWA8rk/001run.JPG[/url]

View Quote

[naughty] :drool:
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My idea was to copy most of my LP's (having got tons of great stuff like "The Bangles, Cindy Lauper, Tears for Fears, The Go-Go's, etc) that I would like to listen to again, but would like to record them (to save wear and tear on my valuable LP's) onto some type of format.  The Nakamichi RX-505 (and I've got tons of good chrome and metal tapes) run thru my DBX processor does a very good job at recording, however, how would I transfer them to some type of digital format?  

vmax84
View Quote

You do know there is such a thing as Winmx right?
View Quote

Sorry, I'm a freight pilot.  We don't get out much.  What's Winmx?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]
vmax84: I think you need one of those analog to digital converters for your computer and software. I think Soundblaster makes one, and you need the software. I've seen the software at Fry's electronics, so that where I would probably start.

I know how you feel about those old vinyl LPs. I've got a ton of those old 12" Disco singles in 33 1/3 & 45 RPM that contain extra music that you don't get on the regular albums.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]
That's 80's shit music.
Take that shit to the rage and use it as targets.
The fucking Go-Go's? Cindy ANTI-GUN Lauper? Queers with Fears?
Yeeech.

Quoted:

vmax84
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's 80's shit music.
Take that shit to the rage and use it as targets.
The fucking Go-Go's? Cindy ANTI-GUN Lauper? Queers with Fears?
Yeeech.

Quoted:

vmax84
View Quote
View Quote

I was going to take all my Rush, Stones, Iron Maiden, etc., to the range......geeezz, I was just kidding!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top