Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 9:41:30 AM EDT
running win98.

Is there any way to look up the serial number for 98 so that I can reload the computer using the original # with a different disk. I no longer have the lic key.

if you guys answer this one I'll be stunned at the knowledge of ARF.com

lwc
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]
why not use another number?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

SGtar15
View Quote

SGtar15, I believe he doesn't know how to "research" this...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
running win98.

Is there any way to look up the serial number for 98 so that I can reload the computer using the original # with a different disk. I no longer have the lic key.

if you guys answer this one I'll be stunned at the knowledge of ARF.com

lwc
View Quote

Hey wildcat, I have the answer for you. I have to search my hard drive, I will need an address to send a small file to you. -OR- you can search the registry for 'ProductID', or something similair.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SGtar15
View Quote

SGtar15, I believe he doesn't know how to "research" this...
View Quote

could easily do this, but this is for the chairman of our dept and everything needs to be on the up and up...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it in the registry some where....
if you don't waan use a key gen- try calling microsoft c/s. The recording says they don't give #'s over the phone, but they've given me a new key before.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/tips/winme/tswinme/how_to_find_product_id_in_regist.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
[size=1]Well, since you don't have the license key, that would mean you no longer own the product. Owning the disc means nothing.[/size=1]

Anyway, depending on when the disc was made, there are key generators out there that will make you a key that *should* work... Generate a couple and see...

If its the old style format, the typical key to unlock all discs is ... (see IM) [:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/tips/winme/tswinme/how_to_find_product_id_in_regist.htm[/url]
View Quote

Cool, how do i run regedit on a system that wont boot?  I'm sure there's a way, i just dont know it.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]
see if this helps:
"
Answer: The registry is a very useful part of Windows 95 and NT. It stores all kinds of neat information about your system and the software installed on it.

It's like a little database.

The problem is that it's a finicky thing which can be completely corrupted if you go into it and mess around without knowing what you're doing.

To avoid problems I use the "Look, but don't touch" rule.

To open it for a look-see, click the Start button and then click "Run." Type in c:\windows\regedit.exe and click OK.

This opens the registry, which looks a lot like a file manager.

You can find the Microsoft Office CD Key in the registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE". Double click it and it expands to reveal a list of folders. Follow them as follows: SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office 97 Professional/(a number)/Registration.

The number in brackets should look something like 97.0.0.XXX, etc. The Xs are numbers and brackets.

The example above uses Office 97 Professional.

Your version may be different and will likely be listed under a different Office product name.

When you get to "Registration" look for the "ProductID" entry on the right side of the screen. Next to it will be your registration number.

To exit, click the Registry menu and then Exit.

But why go registry diving when this information is available under the HELP menu in any of the Office products?

Under Excel's HELP menu, for example, you'll find it under "About Microsoft Excel."

If you find yourself looking for the Windows CD-Key, it's under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/
Windows/CurrentVersion/ProductId.

You can also get it from your Control Panel. Double Click the System icon and select the "General" tab. The CD-Key should be listed under the "Registered to:" heading.
"
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool, how do i run regedit on a system that wont boot?  I'm sure there's a way, i just dont know it.  
View Quote

Use the info I IM'd you to reinstall Windows on top of your current installation, which should recover your install...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Just incase you didn't get the IM...

Easier way to find your Win98 Product Key

Start >> Run

Type in Regedit

GoTo Edit >> Find

Type in ProductKey (no space between words)

Hit Enter

Be patient. Edit takes a few moments to work.

You'll be taken to the key where you can see the 25-digit key

Enjoy!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#12]
From DOS...hopefully...

Hold down the Ctrl key during boot-up or keep
pressing F8 until you get the option menu to start in Normal, Safe or Dos
mode. Choose the Dos prompt......
You now need to be in the Windows directory, so type in CD\Windows and press
Enter.

Type the following below, also note the spaces.
attrib -h -s -r       [Press your Enter Key]
You will hear the hard drive working, wait until it stops. Now type in....
Edit system.dat    [Press your Enter Key]
Press Alt then the S key and type in ProductKey
This will bring you to your alpha-numeric product key, write it down.
Press Alt then F, using your arrow keys move down to Exit and press Enter.
You should now be able to re-install Windows 98.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Regedit will also run from DOS (boot from a floppy). You just have to remove the hidden attribute from the system.dat and user.dat registry files.

attrib -h c:\windows\system.dat
attrib -h c:\windows\user.dat
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
you guys are pretty damn good.

thanks for all the help i'm going to try it now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Just run Belarc Advisor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top