Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2003 5:11:02 PM EDT
Now I'd thought I'd seen everything...

New Year's flying fridges warning

Police often raid the notorious Hillbrow neighbourhood
South African police will crack down hard on anybody throwing old fridges from high-rise buildings during the New Year's holiday, they say.

Police often raid the notorious Hillbrow neighbourhood

Police and soldiers are on patrol in Johannesburg's notorious Hillbrow suburb, famous for the practice.

Throwing heavy objects from balconies and firing guns have become something of a bad "New Year's institution," said police Inspector Kriben Naidoo.

Revellers have been killed in the past after being hit by stray bullets.

It is not clear why Hillbrow residents have taken to seeing in the New Year by throwing objects such as fridges, microwave ovens, beds, rubbish bins and condoms out of their windows.

Some also aim their New Year fireworks horizontally, so they go from one high-rise apartment into another.

Police wear helmets and bullet-proof vests when on duty on New Year's Eve, reports AFP news agency.

Emergency centre

"We have given out thousands of pamphlets pleading with people not to throw objects, including things like refrigerators, from their balconies, as well as asking people not to fire celebratory shots in the air," said Inspector Naidoo.

He said armoured vehicles would be stationed throughout Hillbrow and the police would raid any buildings where there were problems.

A private medical services spokesperson said doctors and paramedics would be deployed in Hillbrow and an emergency centre had been set up at a fire station to deal with injuries.

"We will have at least four doctors and more than 20 medical personnel working around the clock in a combined effort with provincial health authorities," said Mandy Toubkin.

No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.
- --LILY TOMLIN

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like Dodge City on a Saturday night.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Some also aim their New Year fireworks horizontally, so they go from one high-rise apartment into another.
View Quote

Sorry, i think thats funny.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
It happens here.

I don't remember the project involved, but I heard about a rookie cop who was warned when responding to certain projects, get from his vehicle to cover immediately-do not dawdle in the open. He stopped to talk to an old man and the TV thrown from above killed the old guy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, i think thats funny.
View Quote

Does kind of sound like fun, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll bet it's about like watching parts of a Tarzan movie.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:10:56 AM EDT
[#7]
WTF,  hmmmmm  perhaps now I hve heard of everything...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
...and condoms out of their windows
View Quote

Now that's gross.  I'd rather get hit with a Fridge.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The Police ought to come around the next morning to do the paper work, otherwise stay away!!! I don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]
In college we pushed a coke machine down the 15 story elevator shaft at the dorms.  BIG NOISE and we deassed the area in a hurry.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Things have really improved since they ended apartheid!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Things have really improved since they ended apartheid!!!
View Quote

[ROFL2]........"improved".....yeah, that's it.

The same thing happens in Chicago and every other big "multicultural" city with high rise "public" housing.

My father was a fireman in Chicago, the FD would get calls to the high rises where "they" would BBQ in the bathtub in the winter and set the fiberglass tub on fire.
YEP!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Paging Dr. Fridge, we have some smashed up patients for you...

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll bet it's about like watching parts of a Tarzan movie.
View Quote

No, its more like watching primates in the zoo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...and condoms out of their windows
View Quote

Now that's gross.  I'd rather get hit with a Fridge.
View Quote

[rofl] [lolabove]

One more reason to not got to South Africa. But I will take some more of their surplus .308 [;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top