Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 10:29:58 AM EDT
This Q is esp. for you non-Christians.

What is your personal benchmark for sanity?

We have kids killing kids, moms killing kids, etc. in the world today, and so what do you consider to be

sane v insane

wrong v right

So, what is the norm, or is there such a thing?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone that thinks just like me [:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
rational or conservative... you pick, Billy Bob.

I don't know what the fuck christianity or lack there of has to do with sanity.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't even think of anything to say to that.[:|]

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Why is it so hard for Christians to understand that most sane people abide by a set of morals not unlike the 10 Commandments.

The 10 Commandments are basically the rules most organized civilizations live(d) by.

I know... I know.... the 10 Commandments are actually GOD's "commandments" but just look at the content and apart from the commandments stating to "worship me and no other gods" they are the basic laws that all of humanity lived by in that period of time and for hundreds of years before the event supposedly took place.

Your question implies that non-Christians have a different code of what is right and wrong, sane and insane, etc.

You can look at any organized culture, no matter what religion they choose, and see that they have a set of laws not unlike the 10 Commandments...some had a much stricter code of what is right or wrong.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]
As a born again Christian, I have no idea how Christianity is linked to the question of what is sanity.  I will tackle a couple of the other points though.  

First, the things you mentioned is nothing new.  The bible is full of events just like you mentioned and worse.  Evil has been in society since Adam and Eve were thrown out of the Garden of Eden.  The Bible book of James points out that friendship with the world is enmity (sp?) with God meaning that the world (society) is generally NOT of God but, rather, evil.  Hard pill to swallow but true.  This doesn't mean that we Christians need to hole up in caves but it does mean that we are to strive to be "lights" to the world showing the peace obtained when accepting Christ and his teachings.  All have a choice.

As for the 10 Commandments thing, it actually goes the other way.  The 10 Commandments were the basis of the Jewish society as they formed up after leaving Egypt.  This culture has formed the basis of many other cultures over history with the basis of the commandments making their way into established laws of society.

Are the bad things you mentioned sane? No. As for "what is right v wrong", maybe Jesus' command answers this best when he stated that there are two basic rules: (1) love God with all your heart, mind, and soul; and (2) love all others as yourself (I'm working on memory here so my quotes may have slipped a little).  He went on to state that on these two rest all the commandments.  Simple as that.

Flame away!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
2 eyes for one, two eyes for one on my kin.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]
meant thooth , teetht . same o.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Webster defines Sanity as "Mentally sound; possessing a rational mind; having the mental faculties in such condition as to be able to anticipate and judge of the effect of one's actions in an ordinary manner."

Sanity also implies that a person does not exhibit any sort of pathology (i.e. A departure or deviation from a normal condition).  So, to be sane, one must be "normal," or exhibit a mindset similar to that of his own culture.  America has a certain set of cultural norms, and deviation from that will be considered a deviation from sanity.  However, that would lead one to ask "What is normal?"  

Normal is defined as "According to an established norm, rule, or principle; conformed to a type, standard, or regular form; performing the proper functions; not abnormal; regular; natural; analogical."

So, to be normal/sane, one must be somewhat of a conformist.  Conformity seems to be taken as somewhat of a negative term these days, as it seems to imply the departure from individuality.  People have such a strong desire to be unlike everyone else, that sometimes that mindset leads to the development of pathologies.  And as stated above, a pathology would not be consistent w/ sanity.

So, I guess what I'm getting at is, that I consider "sanity" to be a person's desire to develop and maintain a general cohesiveness w/ his fellow man.  A "bond" if you will.  People who tend to be introverts and retreatists from society, generally lack what we would consider a "sane" mindset, as they develop or have developed abnormal/deviant behavior.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone that has 10 or less voices in their head and enjoys a good human sacrafice.
Is a pretty straight shooter IMO [whacko]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Easy one...............

Anyone who thinks they are sane is insane and anyone who questions their sanity is sane.

Ask a hard one next time........

tj
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
|
|
|
V

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Set stopwatch coundown timer to 60 seconds.  Start stopwatch.  Close eyes.  Make sure I can stop stopwatch on "1".  If so, I'm still sane.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#15]
You must further define your prospective of sane vs. insane for Non-Christians; otherwise you will get many different answers trying to interpret your brief description of a much more complex issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top