Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2003 9:04:11 AM EDT
any tips? the one below the barrel for the (I think) operating rod.

I had a ratchet on it and was holding the stock but it wouldn't budge when I heard wood cracking I stopped.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
They make a wrench to hold the gas nut that runs a ten bucks.

From [url]www.fulton-armory.com[/url]

[img]http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14GasCylinderWrench.jpg[/img]

Is the nut you're trying to move the one on in the picture?

The operating rod is held in with spring pressure on one end and a little rotating pin thingee IIRC.

Let me dig mine out of the safe ...
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...when I heard wood cracking I stopped.
View Quote

Words to live by.

[:D]

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
To remove the operating rod you'll need to remove the operating rod guide and it's spring from the aft end to the barrel.

With the rifle sitting upside down look at the front end of the receiver just where the barrel meets it. There is a small retaining pin that slides back and forth in a a channel pinning the operating guide rod in place. Slide that pin towards the port side (left) in the direction of the cocking handle. That will allow you to press the operating guide rod forward.

Beware that the spring will send the rod sailing so maintain control. You are now free to slide the guide rod aft and off the receiver.

It's a chinese puzzle getting the thing off as you have to move operating rod to a small notch just forward of full recoil aft.

I generally wiggle it a bit and the thing pops off.

Don't even get me started on removing the bolt [shock]

BTY the picture above is for the gas cylinder wrench to remove the gas cylinder plug.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
BTW(2) what is the stock doing attached to the action at this point? Are you working on the stock or the action?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They make a wrench to hold the gas nut that runs a ten bucks.

From [url]www.fulton-armory.com[/url]

[url]http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14GasCylinderWrench.jpg[/url]

Is the nut you're trying to move the one on in the picture?

The operating rod is held in with spring pressure on one end and a little rotating pin thingee IIRC.

Let me dig mine out of the safe ...
View Quote

that gas nut has to come off for cleaning, right?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
According to my "The M14 Owners Guide and Match Conditioning Instructions" by Scott A. Duff and John M. Miller --

"The gas system of the M14 also requires periodic maintenance. Cleaning every 300 rounds is sufficient. More frequent dissassembly of the gas system is not recommended"

"Remove accumulated carbon from the inside of the plug with a Gas System Cleanout Tool."
(another $24 at Fulton-Armory [:)])

This book is written for match shooting so I'm assuming that for us combat shooters one could let the cleaning slip -- at least I hope so as I can't remember the last time I tore my gas system apart. I do have the wrench at least.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Paul said:
I can't remember the last time I tore my gas system apart. I do have the wrench at least.
View Quote

If you're not going to use that wrench, send it to me. [:D]

Being the compulsive cleaning guy I am, I clean mine after every trip to the range.

An old trick I learned fron a Distinguished Marksman:  Put one drop of oil on the threads after cleaning the plug and before reassembly.  It makes it much easier to remove the next time.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
According to my "The M14 Owners Guide and Match Conditioning Instructions" by Scott A. Duff and John M. Miller --

"The gas system of the M14 also requires periodic maintenance. Cleaning every 300 rounds is sufficient. More frequent dissassembly of the gas system is not recommended"

"Remove accumulated carbon from the inside of the plug with a Gas System Cleanout Tool."
(another $24 at Fulton-Armory [:)])

This book is written for match shooting so I'm assuming that for us combat shooters one could let the cleaning slip -- at least I hope so as I can't remember the last time I tore my gas system apart. I do have the wrench at least.
View Quote

well I guess I will just wait to pull the gas nut off.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#9]
drown it in CLP for a day.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I just field striped mine and took the gas system apart. I figure I've run about 500-600 rounds though mine since I last cleaned the system and it was fairly clean. A bit of carbon covered the inside of the gas cylinder and its nut. I clean and lube the operating rod each trip to the range.

What a beautiful weapon - just dead nutz simple. I only wish the bolt came out easier. I generally wiggle the thing to the point where I can get the roller greaser tool around the bolt's roller. Once I see the grease coming out I'm happy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top