BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 9:03:26 AM EDT
Er.... or maybe the Kurds did....

We got him: Kurds say they caught Saddam
By Paul McGeough, Herald Correspondent in Baghdad
December 22, 2003

Washington's claims that brilliant US intelligence work led to the capture of Saddam Hussein are being challenged by reports sourced in Iraq's Kurdish media claiming that its militia set the circumstances in which the US merely had to go to a farm identified by the Kurds to bag the fugitive former president.

The first media account of the December 13 arrest was aired by a Tehran-based news agency.

American forces took Saddam into custody around 8.30pm local time, but sat on the news until 3pm the next day.

However, in the early hours of Sunday, a Kurdish language wire service reported explicitly: "Saddam Hussein was captured by the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan. A special intelligence unit led by Qusrat Rasul Ali, a high-ranking member of the PUK, found Saddam Hussein in the city of Tikrit, his birthplace.

"Qusrat's team was accompanied by a group of US soldiers. Further details of the capture will emerge during the day; but the global Kurdish party is about to begin!"

The head of the PUK, Jalal Talabani, was in the Iranian capital en route to Europe.

The Western media in Baghdad were electrified by the Iranian agency's revelation, but as reports of the arrest built, they relied almost exclusively on accounts from US military and intelligence organisations, starting with the words of the US-appointed administrator of Iraq, Paul Bremer: "Ladies and gentlemen: we got 'im".

US officials said that they had extracted the vital piece of information on Saddam's whereabouts from one of the 20 suspects around 5.30pm on December 13 and had immediately assembled a 600-strong force to surround the farm on which he was captured at al-Dwar, south of Tikrit.

Little attention was paid to a line in Pentagon briefings that some of the Kurdish militia might have been in on what was described as a "joint operation"; or to a statement by Ahmed Chalabi, head of the Iraq National Congress, which said that Qusrat and his PUK forces had provided vital information and more.

A Scottish newspaper, the Sunday Herald, quoted from an interview aired on the PUK's al-Hurriyah radio station last Wednesday, in which Adil Murad, a member of the PUK's political bureau,

said that the day before Saddam's capture he was tipped off by a PUK general - Thamir al-Sultan - that Saddam would be arrested within the next 72 hours.

An unnamed Western intelligence source in the Middle East was quoted in the British Sunday Express yesterday: "Saddam was not captured as a result of any American or British intelligence. We knew that someone would eventually take their revenge, it was just a matter of time."

There has been no American response to the Kurdish claims.

An intriguing question is why Kurdish forces were allowed to join what the US desperately needed to present as an American intelligence success - unless the Kurds had something vital to contribute to the operation so far south of their usual area of activity.

A report from the PUK's northern stronghold, Suliymaniah, early last week claimed a vital intelligence breakthrough after a telephone conversation between Qusrat and Saddam's second wife, Samirah.

So, who got him??
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The information comes from the "Kurdish Media"?

As reported by a "Herald Correspondent"?

I guess it has to be true.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#2]
It takes teamwork. The Kurds should get partial credit...not that I would ever accuse our government of "grandstanding" of course....
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Er.... or maybe the Kurds did....

So, who got him??
View Quote

Does it matter? Maybe to some, not to me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So, who got him??
View Quote

"We" did, or at least those of us who consider 'gettin 'im' a good thing.

Dec. 22?!?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a bogus story, and it's been denied by the head of the PUK.

In Pentagonese, a "joint operation" is one that involves more than one branch of the armed forces--say, the army and the air force. Operations with other nations are called "coalition" operations.

[url]http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2003_12_21.html#002341[/url]

Jalal Talabani, member of the Iraqi Governing Council and leader of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), has denied that the Peshmerga forces were responsible for arresting the former Iraqi president, Saddam Husayn, as reported by a British newspaper (Sunday Express) on Sunday (21 December). In an interview with Al-Jazeera in Moscow, Talabani said that the arrest of Saddam had been carried out by the Americans alone. Talabani arrived in Moscow prior to the start of an official visit by an Iraqi Governing Council delegation to Russia. (Talabani - recording) We contributed to trailing and pursuing Saddam Husayn when he used to go from one place to another. We provided the coalition with important information about these places. However, the arrest was carried out by American hands. The American forces carried out the arrest and none of the Peshmerga members took part in the arrest. Therefore, this report is regrettably false. It could be meant to justify the low spirits of the former president and the shock on his face following the arrest so as to say that he was drugged. He was not drugged because four members of the Iraqi Governing Council met him and he was fully conscious and traded insults with them.

(Al-Jazeera correspondent in Moscow Akram Khuzam) Why was the PUK given the right to announce the arrest of the former president, Saddam Husayn?

(Talabani) The truth is that no one gave it the right. We were one of the parties hunting down the ousted president. A PUK surveillance unit was present in the area. On the night of the arrest, it seems that a member of this unit learned about the arrest. He telephoned us and told us about the arrest of the former president, Saddam Husayn. We asked him to confirm the report because it was important news. He came back after one hour and confirmed that the news was true. I was on my way to Iran. When I met with an Iranian journalist, he asked me about the latest news. I told him: I have important news for you, which is the arrest of Iraqi president Saddam Husayn. The Americans had confirmed to us the truth of this report before I left for Iran.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#6]
dont believe it is bogus.
i am with liberty86 on this one.

this is how I heard the story of his capture...

Isreal follows his wife and listens to calls..
wifes calls repeatedly asking for more money...
isreal ....after severl intercepts has a gen idea.. .. some how the kurds get  ahold of the same info...  

kurk pres, king whatever has 2 daughters that were raped by SH kids..
kurds get him .. and drug him for reasons unknown.. < so he was druged when the US found him.. just not druged by US>  then after they get whatever they needed.. kurds call the US and say :" we have SH ready for you here.." it was a detintion hole for him by the kurds.... the two guys with ak that were at the site runing when the US came .. were NOT his body quards.. they were there to make sure he didnt leave till we got there.
then we go an get him..

source of the story.. a co worker that is from Iraq..

whats more and here is the kicker..
he calls me at home < we talk alot about this> the day [red]BEFORE[/red] he is caught and says.. pay close attetion to your CNN.. thats what ihe calls "CNN"  .. YOUR CNN.. SH will be TURNED over in the next couple of days.. .. 28 hours later .. SH is caught.

he was not caught by the US.. he was caught be the kurds using stolen isrealie intel.. < he HATES the JEWS  [:(] .. so him actually giving them credit means something to me. >

so unless the bastard took a very lucky guess .. he knew from people back home that somethiing was going on..
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#7]
So the Kurds had him, "got what they wanted from him" and then turned him over to us? Didn't Saddam order thousands of Kurds killed by chemical weapons? You say Saddams sons raped the daughters of the Kurdish leader? Let me ask again; They got what they wanted from him and turned him over to us? Yeah, O.K..

Who has him now?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#8]
hey ,... I give you that all the details are not exactly correct..

but the main point thats the Kurds got to him first I feel is true..

the rest is filler that I know is changed as the story is told.. but I have heard the same sory from other mideastern people that are news junkies in thier on right..

and the fact that he mentioned this story and the fact that he would be turned over within days can not be ignored,,

so im sure some details are incorrect but I believe the main chain of events is correct.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]
The Coalition of the Pissy strikes again.

Do you think the Kurds could have finangled Saddam's capture without an all-out invasion by the United States and its allies?

Does it really matter if the Kurds were the most responsible for the leg work in capturing Saddam?  What's the important issue here?  You remind me of my friend who after we utterly creamed Iraq and sent Saddam into hiding started bitching "But where's Saddam?  Bush promised he'd get Saddam!"  No, he didn't.  And without command of Iraq, Saddam was little more than a fugitive.

Can't see the fucking forest for the trees.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#10]
The article clearly says that REPORTERS paid little attention to DoD and Iraqi National Congress statements that the Kurds were in on the operation and intelligence.

Why is it our problem if stupid grandstanding reporters, report incorrect information?

"WE" is a term that includes the entire coalition as in, "ladies and gentlemen WE got him".

Keeping a valuable intelligence operation as low key as possible is a useful way to keep it productive.  Not grandstanding the Kurdish help is a good thing as well.  They were acknowledged, they will get a ton of cash and goodies I am sure of it, they got acknowledged by the powers that be.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
dont believe it is bogus.
i am with liberty86 on this one.

this is how I heard the story of his capture...

Isreal follows his wife and listens to calls..
wifes calls repeatedly asking for more money...
isreal ....after severl intercepts has a gen idea.. .. some how the kurds get  ahold of the same info...  

kurk pres, king whatever has 2 daughters that were raped by SH kids..
kurds get him .. and drug him for reasons unknown.. < so he was druged when the US found him.. just not druged by US>  then after they get whatever they needed.. kurds call the US and say :" we have SH ready for you here.." it was a detintion hole for him by the kurds.... the two guys with ak that were at the site runing when the US came .. were NOT his body quards.. they were there to make sure he didnt leave till we got there.
then we go an get him..

source of the story.. a co worker that is from Iraq..

whats more and here is the kicker..
he calls me at home < we talk alot about this> the day [red]BEFORE[/red] he is caught and says.. pay close attetion to your CNN.. thats what ihe calls "CNN"  .. YOUR CNN.. SH will be TURNED over in the next couple of days.. .. 28 hours later .. SH is caught.

he was not caught by the US.. he was caught be the kurds using stolen isrealie intel.. < he HATES the JEWS  [:(] .. so him actually giving them credit means something to me. >

so unless the bastard took a very lucky guess .. he knew from people back home that somethiing was going on..
View Quote

Liberty86 isn't someone to be "with" here. I just wanna know the "Truth".
US media has given me the impression that US Intel was responsible for the capture. I just wanna know who the liar is.

I do find it hard to believe, that the Kurds "stole" the info from Israeli intelligence. If they got it from Israel, it's because the Israelis wanted them to....
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#12]
hey, thats the story as I heard it..

take from it what you want ..

interpet what you want as you want..

gave the story as It was told to me .. I felt if I left out a detail I belived to be useless then I might be omiting an imoprt piece of a puzzle somewhere..

kurd got him turned him over to the US..

what exactly is it the bothers you?  that he said .. "we got him " and did not go thru the list of the contries involved?

[b]US media has given me the impression that US Intel was responsible for the capture. I just wanna know who the liar is.
[/b]

this one is easy...    the media .

but the .gov not saying that what ABC news reported was wrong does not make them part of it..

media has got to sell .. well.. media..

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]
How unsurprising that Lib 86 would believe the Kurdish "media" over our own government.  How unsurprising that he would be so desperate to believe something bad about America that he would buy into this obviously bogus bullshit without a single shred of evidence.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How unsurprising that Lib 86 would believe the Kurdish "media" over our own government.  How unsurprising that he would be so desperate to believe something bad about America that he would buy into this obviously bogus bullshit without a single shred of evidence.
View Quote

hhhmmm, We got better coverage and facts from foreign media, than our own concerning clinton. It's obvious that the media is complicit in bush's propaganda campaign.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top