Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2003 5:26:26 AM EDT
Story

PITTSBURGH - Joan Visokey calls it a "Christmas miracle." A thief who stole her cousin's car returned it two days later along with a letter of apology, police said.

Visokey and her cousin, Janet Hartman, were about to go shopping Sunday when they discovered that Hartman's car, which contained her purse, $200, credit cards and heart medicine, had been stolen off the street.

On Christmas Eve, Visokey found a blue envelope sitting on her front porch, police said. Inside were the keys to Hartman's car and a letter.

"I could never apologize enough for your car being stolen," the letter said. "There is no damage done to it ... I will try to replace the money I stole.

"I have never done anything like this before and I never will again," the letter said.

Directed by the letter, Visokey ran behind a church and found the car. Hartman's purse was tucked under one of the seats but the wallet was gone, police said.

Visokey left a Christmas card on her door, thanking the thief.

However, police believe the thief may have used the car for three other crimes and have impounded it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top