Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 9:25:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If only we could get the rest of the world to do this.  Hell just the hispanicos in this country.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
That cant be true.  I dont see a source.  Somebody Snopes this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If only we could get the rest of the world to do this.  Hell just the hispanicos in this country.
View Quote

I can think of a few more races that need some surgery
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I think many of them over there love the US. They have one of the best museums covering the Korean war, and it has [b]many[/b] tributes to the US fighting man.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a canned story that finally some editor finally had room for - maybe they couldn't find any new stories of doom and gloom in Iraq.

I can think of the hundreds of public service announcements and such in the US.  Imagine some foreign reporter responding to one of them by saying "Americans do this..., blah blah, Dr,. so and so with the blah blah explained how this is horrible because..."

Well, you get the idea.  Some morons think surger can help their kid talk better.  A surgery, common for kids with real speach impediments, is pushed by some moron, so some idiots demand it.  The doctors know better, but - like a guy with a cold demanding an antibiotic, the parents go to different doctors demanding what they "know" they need.  

Some pressure in the right spots, and government money is diverted for a public service ad campaign to quell the idiots.

This article makes it sound like there is some phenomenon of unnecessary surgery - where the only phenomenon is unnecessary reporters.

This is an issue blown up by irresponsible Korean media outlets, and then carried and further distorted by irresponsible American media outlets.

This little tidbit:

The procedure called a frenulotomy is used in the West in cases where the tissue under the tongue is abnormal and causes a speech impediment. No statistics exist on how many Korean children undergo go it. While local media say it is widespread in Seoul's wealthier districts, doctors call the reports exaggerated.
View Quote

Says all that needs to be said - yet it was conveniently buried amidst a plethora of hyperbole and sensationalism.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top