Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2001 3:35:18 AM EDT
[url]http://www.tamu.edu/00/tamu-images/deux00.html[/url]

[url]http://www.tamu.edu/aggiedaily/7.html[/url]

I've always been a fan of TAMU - here are good examples of what the school holds dear.

Ever seen their marching band?  A Marine DI would look at them and say "damn - they're sharp".

I know where I will encourage my son to go to kolij to git lurned.

Tate
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Texas A&M is awesome indeed.  My father was going to be an Aggie, Class of 1944. Started in September, 1941, in Cadet Corps.  Left to go 'fight World War II' in the South Pacific.

After V-E Day, spent one year in occupational army in Japan.

Came back to Texas A&M in 1946, as a member of the Corps of Veterans (he was too old and set in his ways by then to be in the Cadet Corps).

Met my mother-to-be Dolores at the Aggie Bonfire in November, 1946.  She was a 'Tessie' from Texas Womens College in Denton, Texas.
For the Texas A&M/TU game, and the bonfire the night before, 'Tessies' would come down on the train from Denton to meet 'Aggies' in College Station.

Dates were prearranged by friends, family, etc.

My Mom and Dad must have hit it off, 'cause they got married the next December (1947).

Dad graduated in 1949, and by 1952 had risen to the rank of Captain in the U.S.Army Reserves.

In 1977, when I was in law school in Baton Rouge, he came down to see me, along with my then-18 y.o. brother, and we went to a Texas A&M vs. LSU game at the stadium on LSU campus often referred to as 'Death Valley.  We sat next to the Aggie Band!!! Courtesy of some Aggies in Baton Rouge!!! Aggies are like that.

He passed away about six months later. I was always pleased that he got to see his beloved Aggies one more time.

If I hadn't been in Louisiana during my college and post-college days, I would have gone to Texas A&M without hesitation.  But I was young and couldn't-be-talked-to in those days.

Got a picture of Mom and Dad sitting underneath the statue of 'Old Sul' (Sullivan Ross, former Texas Ranger Captain, President of Texas A&M, and Governor of Texas).

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
My daughter graduated (Dec 2000) from TX A&M, my son was just accepted at TX A&M, and I work for TX A&M.  They are a good group of people with values that are hard to find in many places.

WHOOOOP!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if you guys have heard but there is talk of removing the statue of Sul Ross from campus because of his service in the Confederate Army.  Goes to show that we are under attack everywhere.  

Aggie1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top