Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 5:11:55 PM EDT
It is for cover fire to keep the enemy heads down? Or is it offensive when staged with three machine guns cross covering for each other?

Facts and Opinions Welcomed!

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I love M-60s, especially when:

1:  Their fire is not directed at me.

and

2:  I don't have to hump the mutha!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
In the offense, they are largely for suppression of the enemy so the breach and assault force can get into position to provide the decisive effect.
In the defense, they do the primary killing along with the artillery.  The rifleman is not as decisive in the defensive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Its not really either, you can use it both ways.

Although a rifle caliber weapon is going to be more effective shooting at someone who is out in the open, a situation more often found when on the defensive, then when they are in trenches or behind bullet proof structures.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is for cover fire to keep the enemy heads down? Or is it offensive when staged with three machine guns cross covering for each other?

Facts and Opinions Welcomed!

View Quote

Any MG's are essential for both offense and defense.  In the offensive (fire, maneuver) role, the gunner covers the movement of the other riflemen.  Riflemen move up and cover the movement of the gunner to his next position.  The MG provides a base of fire on which the rest of the squad can move.  In defense, the Pig establishes a FIELD of fire, most likely in self-supporting arcs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I always found that POS M60 to be very offensive, especially when I had to carry that bitch.  But then, I'm a sensitive guy.  I thought my relationship was gonna work out better with the M60E3, but that bitch offended the fuck out of me too.

I'm not nearly as offended by the '240, although that motherfucker is even heavier, but hey, ya gotta love a classic.

Lots of people get hurt feelings from the 249, but its always worked for me, and I've always thought it had lots of sex appeal, so I've never found it to be offensive.

Recently one of our squad leaders allowed a troop to lose track of a M249 (briefly), when the First Sergeant found out everyone involved got very defensive about the whole issue.

SUMMARY:

M60 - OFFENSIVE
M60E3 - OFFENSIVE, but pretty
M240 - NOT OFFENSIVE
M249 - DEFFENSIVE

I hope this helps clear things up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If the M60 is on the offensive then how much ammo is the M60 gunner carrying himself?  How many buddies carry the extra ammo for suppressive fire?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the M60 is on the offensive then how much ammo is the M60 gunner carrying himself?  How many buddies carry the extra ammo for suppressive fire?
View Quote

BTT

I am interested in knowing the answer to this question.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

BTT

I am interested in knowing the answer to this question.
View Quote

It's up to the unit and the mission.  

Generally, in the offense, the gunner will have 50-200 rounds in the feed tray.  The A-gunner will have the spare barrel, tripod and T&E, and as much ammo as he can carry.  Everyone else in the squad will also carry as much as they can, usually 200 rounds.  It is all unit SOP, not written in stone, and the mission dictates the requirements.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with what DPeacher said.  It also depends greatly on what other hardware is available, what kind of terrain you are on, and what the objective is.  

For example, if you are in a situation involving only dismounted infantry in relatively open terrain, then the GMPG is going to have the longest effective killing range of any weapon in the platoon unless you brought some mortars.  BUT, if your platoon has dismounted from 10 Humvees which all have a .50bmg Ma Deuce sitting on a swivel mount, well then the 60 gunner is going to do the best he can to pick off targets that are closer or more threatening and let the .50s worry about grazing fire and all that jazz.

In specialized applications it gets even weirder.  From what I've heard, Navy SEALs like the M60E4, they are kinda set in their ways I guess, plus it weighs less than a 240 and they are actually reliable.  They use them for insane amounts of suppressing fire to cover an escape or if their position is compromised.  So in that case they are being used almost exclusively for defense.

Right click, save as...
[url]http://www.defensereview.com/water/M60E4.wmv[/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Duke-Nukem,

Thanks for the video of the M60E4 that is definitely way cool.

If I was a FFL SOT3 I would buy one for only $6-7K

No E4's for civilians [:(]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for everyones input

I watched a 30 minute overall training video to disassemble reassemble and sighting in the gun.

Military video says it is both offensive and defensive weapon.

Also M60 is Light MG with bipod and Heavy MG with tripod.

Anyone having anymore videos would certainly help.  Any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]Is an M60 GPMG an offensive or defensive weapon? [/b]

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends if youre running away or attacking.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Well that would depend on the reason "The Pig" is being made to "squeal", whilst all machine guns are best suited to fixed positional firing, "The Pig" is definately light enough to assault with, as long as you watch not to let the belt hag up on anything or twist.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
nice weapon for opening cans of beans.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Doctor_Chicago I hate to hijack a tpic but!
Hi Jack?

What does GPMG stand for! I got the MG but what about the GP?

Once again SORRY and thanks.
I'd say both depending on the situation.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
General purpose if i recall right.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
GPMG

[b]G[/b]eneral [b]P[/b]urpose [b]M[/b]achine[b]g[/b]un

And does the US even use the '60 anymore???

IIRC they have been retired in favor of the FN MAG58 (M240)...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I always found that POS M60 to be very offensive, especially when I had to carry that bitch.  But then, I'm a sensitive guy.  I thought my relationship was gonna work out better with the M60E3, but that bitch offended the fuck out of me too.

I'm not nearly as offended by the '240, although that motherfucker is even heavier, but hey, ya gotta love a classic.

Lots of people get hurt feelings from the 249, but its always worked for me, and I've always thought it had lots of sex appeal, so I've never found it to be offensive.

Recently one of our squad leaders allowed a troop to lose track of a M249 (briefly), when the First Sergeant found out everyone involved got very defensive about the whole issue.

SUMMARY:

M60 - OFFENSIVE
M60E3 - OFFENSIVE, but pretty
M240 - NOT OFFENSIVE
M249 - DEFFENSIVE

I hope this helps clear things up.
View Quote

this just may be the most amusing post i've seen on arfcom  [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top