Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 4:37:20 PM EDT
What do you think the outcome is?

I would like nothing better than to see it die, but my gut instinct tells me it will stay the same.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It WILL sunset.  That provision is written into the bill.  What we don't know is whether it will be extended or replaced.

As far as we know right now, the bill will never make it to the Shrub's desk and that is what we are all hoping for.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Gone
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My take:

AWB=political suicide.
After the elections however, is another story.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The ban is dead. [:)]

Everone knows that the existing ban is toothless, and neither side wants a useless ban.  The gun-grabbers really want a stricter ban: that is just not going to happen with a republican majority who will not even allow it to be voted on; besides, it would not pass even if it were to be voted on.

**edited to add that the aforementioned is only true if there is no more mass murders commited with "assault weapons."

If that happens, all bets are off.[:|]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Write your congresscritters and let them know what you want them to do.  They will let it sunset if they think it will cost them their seats.  Only a few truly support RKBA.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Write your congresscritters and let them know what you want them to do.  They will let it sunset if they think it will cost them their seats.  Only a few truly support RKBA.
View Quote

I second.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I second.
View Quote

I agree with you guys here.  It is OUR duty to get rid of this dam ban and it is up to us to keep fighting.  I just joined the GOA and donated addition money directly for the AWB fight and I gave 3 NRA memberships as Christmas gifts.  I am planning on sending out more letters this weekends.  Ask yourself, "What have I done lately??"  Come on guys!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a post from one of our members that I saved to disk.  It's fairly reassuring. I forget the guys name and didn't include it in the text.  Maybe someone else that reads this will know.

Guys,

We've plowed this ground so damn many times in the last couple of months...sheesh!

OK...ONE MORE TIME!

First of all, you paranoids, please remove your tinfoil hats and listen UP! Sit back comfortably for a couple of minutes and take a bit of advice from a conservative, gun-toting, inside-the-beltway Republican activist.

PLEASE try to understand the dynamics of this issue in an election year. That is critical if you are to ultimately understand why the AWB is not going to be renewed and why NO OTHER ANTI-FIREARMS BILL WILL EVER MAKE IT TO THE PRESIDENT'S DESK FOR HIS SIGNATURE!

There are actually several factors at play here. Firstly only a small, but vocal group of antis, led by the likes of Senator Chuckie Shumer are trying to get the ban renewed. These pols are all pretty safe or are not up for re-election in '04. The others who are up for re-election really don't have much of a stomach for a fight on this issue.

Having seen the recent ass-kicking of their anti-pals in the last three election cycles, elections that swept the Republicans into power for the first time in decades, the Democrats are VERY sensitized to the gun issue. They don't wish to pick a fight with us or the NRA by trying to renew the ban. If you doubt me, spend a bit of time over on some of their sites like the DU and read some of their threads on this issue. While deep in their souls, most Democrats want to ban all guns...they damn well know that trying it...at least now, is a sure path to political suicide.

Next, y'all gotta remember that the Republican Party now controls both houses of congress. For those of you who have forgotten your high school civics, that means that they (we) control the various committees, and it is in the committees where the real business of congress takes place. For ANY bill to make it to the floor of either the House or Senate for a vote, it must first pass out of committee. Since virtually ALL of the committee chairs are hard-core, dead-loyal Republicans, it boggles the mind that any of the chairs might permit any anti-gun bill to make it out. ANY such foolish bills are "doomed in committee".

While some [disloyal] Republican party members would turn on us in a second, by and large they are pretty much pro-RKBA and are not about to vote to renew. More importantly, as long as the Republicans do control the House and Senate, no anti-gun bill will survive. Just because Chuckie or Hillary, or Nita, or Nancy authors and introduces a bill...doesn't make it law!

Finally, as long as the Republicans do control congress, they are not about screw Bush by sending ANY type of anti-gun legislation over to the White House for his signature. Everybody knows how sensitive this issue is. The Democrats would LOVE to send a piece of legislation like this to Bush and paint him into a corner...force him to make a choice so they can beat him up...whichever way he goes. Likewise, the Republicans can see the political minefield a renewal would send Bush and since they are in power...it ain't gonna happen!

Bottom line in our civics lession? No anti-gun legislation of ANY type...NONE...ZERO is going to be processed by this congress before the 2004 election...NONE!!!

I'm not making judgements about Bush's gun-ideology...nor what he might or might not do if he were faced with an AWB renewal. That has been beat up here for months too. He has said some things about guns that I don't agree with...but that doesn't mean he'll ever get the chance to back up his words. What I am saying is that as long as the Republicans continue to control the congress, we will NOT see an AWB renewal. That tar-baby isn't going to ever see the light of day.

The AWB is headed for a sunset.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Gsp, ignore your gut for a minute & answer this question... What have you done & what [i]will[/i] you do to ensure that when the current ban expires, it stays dead?

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
What are the chances that it sunsets... some liberals decide to pretend it didn't and go nuts when guns again have bayo lugs and protruding pistol grips and magazines go back on store shelves in 100% capacity mode.

This was the most idiotic "experiment" (why do you think its "expiring"...) in American law since the 18th amendment.

Anyone else think there should be a fight to add an amendment that gaurantees, [i]without reason to have any doubt[/i], a [b]private[/b] US Citizen the right to carry on his person any arms he feels the need to, regardless of features, appearance, magazine capacity, country of origin, caliber, or intended use?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gsp, ignore your gut for a minute & answer this question... What have you done & what [i]will[/i] you do to ensure that when the current ban expires, it stays dead?

View Quote

This is exactly what I am talking about.  We need to all honestly answer these questions and then take ACTION!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's a post from one of our members that I saved to disk.  It's fairly reassuring. I forget the guys name and didn't include it in the text.  Maybe someone else that reads this will know.

Guys,

We've plowed this ground so damn many times in the last couple of months...sheesh!

OK...ONE MORE TIME!

First of all, you paranoids, please remove your tinfoil hats and listen UP! Sit back comfortably for a couple of minutes and take a bit of advice from a conservative, gun-toting, inside-the-beltway Republican activist.

PLEASE try to understand the dynamics of this issue in an election year. That is critical if you are to ultimately understand why the AWB is not going to be renewed and why NO OTHER ANTI-FIREARMS BILL WILL EVER MAKE IT TO THE PRESIDENT'S DESK FOR HIS SIGNATURE!

There are actually several factors at play here. Firstly only a small, but vocal group of antis, led by the likes of Senator Chuckie Shumer are trying to get the ban renewed. These pols are all pretty safe or are not up for re-election in '04. The others who are up for re-election really don't have much of a stomach for a fight on this issue.

Having seen the recent ass-kicking of their anti-pals in the last three election cycles, elections that swept the Republicans into power for the first time in decades, the Democrats are VERY sensitized to the gun issue. They don't wish to pick a fight with us or the NRA by trying to renew the ban. If you doubt me, spend a bit of time over on some of their sites like the DU and read some of their threads on this issue. While deep in their souls, most Democrats want to ban all guns...they damn well know that trying it...at least now, is a sure path to political suicide.

Next, y'all gotta remember that the Republican Party now controls both houses of congress. For those of you who have forgotten your high school civics, that means that they (we) control the various committees, and it is in the committees where the real business of congress takes place. For ANY bill to make it to the floor of either the House or Senate for a vote, it must first pass out of committee. Since virtually ALL of the committee chairs are hard-core, dead-loyal Republicans, it boggles the mind that any of the chairs might permit any anti-gun bill to make it out. ANY such foolish bills are "doomed in committee".

While some [disloyal] Republican party members would turn on us in a second, by and large they are pretty much pro-RKBA and are not about to vote to renew. More importantly, as long as the Republicans do control the House and Senate, no anti-gun bill will survive. Just because Chuckie or Hillary, or Nita, or Nancy authors and introduces a bill...doesn't make it law!

Finally, as long as the Republicans do control congress, they are not about screw Bush by sending ANY type of anti-gun legislation over to the White House for his signature. Everybody knows how sensitive this issue is. The Democrats would LOVE to send a piece of legislation like this to Bush and paint him into a corner...force him to make a choice so they can beat him up...whichever way he goes. Likewise, the Republicans can see the political minefield a renewal would send Bush and since they are in power...it ain't gonna happen!

Bottom line in our civics lession? No anti-gun legislation of ANY type...NONE...ZERO is going to be processed by this congress before the 2004 election...NONE!!!

I'm not making judgements about Bush's gun-ideology...nor what he might or might not do if he were faced with an AWB renewal. That has been beat up here for months too. He has said some things about guns that I don't agree with...but that doesn't mean he'll ever get the chance to back up his words. What I am saying is that as long as the Republicans continue to control the congress, we will NOT see an AWB renewal. That tar-baby isn't going to ever see the light of day.

The AWB is headed for a sunset.
View Quote

View Quote

Boom_Stick...you are too kind.  I didn't even save a copy of my rant.

For you newbies...I was going to try and reprise my words above...but why bother?

This does not mean you don't need to stay connected to your congresscritters...please write and call them often.  They DO listen!  They like their jobs and they want to keep them.  Every vote counts...so make sure they understand how you feel about our RKBA.

Thanks again Boom!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#13]
"After the Election......."

THAT is the key phrase.

The Republicans ARE NOT our friends.
The Republicans will SCREW us if it suits their purpose.

"After the Election....".....WATCH OUT!

And if there is another "spontaneous" disaster like Columbine......expect the SUPER-AWB!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank God someone finally brought this up! [whacko]

I was wondering if this would ever get discussed for the millionth time, [b]MORON[/b]!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top