Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 4:25:16 PM EDT
I moved about 7 months ago. I am out in the country and so happy, no neighbor to deal with. My only problem is no cable connection for RoadRunner. Time Warner broadband. It is all I have had for years. This dial-up crap SUCKS! I called up Warner to see if I could persuade them to run cable out here. They said the end of line is only a few miles from me. They would be happy to run it to my house for $8,000. Right! I told them my brother, brother-in-law, and several friends work for them and they said they would do it on their own time for free, I'll buy the cable. They talked it over and said they doubt it but I can call back Friday and talk to the top dog. I don't see why they wouldn't. I'll do the work for them for free and they will get $50 a month from me for Internet plus $20 or so for cable TV. There are other people on this road who would also hook up if the line ran down my road. Sounds like a win-win situation for them.  I can't download shit, play online games, and it takes 5 times longer to do anything on the Internet. I know this isn't a real topic but I had to get it out of my system. Rant off. If anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Around here they have available small rooftop dishes which now upload and download.  So how much is it going to cost you to repair a few miles of peoples property where you dig up thier yards. You can't run a few miles of cable without repeaters to keep the signal degredation down. I think $8k will be cheap. Just wait till you want city water/sewer. And sidwalks, and city trash service.

Maybe you just aren't country boy material.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you can get internet through Dish Network.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually Dish and sky broke apart - I think it's called Skynet... also DirectTV also has a bidirectional thing going, too

The only problem with the satellite access will be if you play on line games - there is a delay of more than .5 but less than 1 second for the signal to go up to the bird, and down to the ground on the request side and then again on the return
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Call your phone company and ask them if they offer DSL.
I use it and is as fast as cable but runs through your phone line, doesnt tie up the phone either.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
think it's called Skynet...
View Quote

Oh shit!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, when I move out to the country, im saving about 20k so i can have a T1 ran to my place.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
No DSL available in area.

I play games so I don't think satellite will do. I've called all the companies around here and only 1 had Internet. It was $100 a month and the guy said I was better off with dial-up.

They run the cable on the poles here so no yards will be hurt. My brother does this for a living for this company so whatever is needed he will know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel your pain.

Same problem here. DSL at work, dial-up at home.
I can't do ALL of my surfing at work. [:D]

What area of Ohio?
There is a new company in NW Ohio offering high-speed satellite access. Check out [url]DTNSpeed.net[/url]
The service is available in my area, and as soon as it warms up, I'm going to get it hooked up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have line of sight to someone who has broadband you could try wireless networking with them using directional antennas and signal boosters on both ends. Sounds crazy but it might work.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you live above ground and have a clear view of the southwest sky you can run a sat system. Dish Network/Starband. I used it for 2 years and my son still uses it. TV reception is very good, but the transponder I was using sucked and they wouldn't change it. Finally got pissed and told them to shove it.

Even if there isn't a dealer in your area it still will work. If you get interested let me know. Still have the twin dish, tv and internet, so all you have to do is find someone to install it. You can even signup to be a installer yourself and Starband will train you for free over the net.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think you can get internet through Dish Network.
View Quote

Yes, it's called Earthlink DSL...

Direct and Dish don't offer satelite internet anymore (at least in WI) because it's got unresolvable technical difficulties...

Besides being much slower than cable or DSL, the physics of bouncing a signal up into space and back mean severe latency...

Translation: if you play games, your 'minimum' ping time will be about 400ms. I get 100-200ms on DIAL UP, why would I pay for satelite internet to get 2-4x worse ping times??

P.S. If you can't get cable or DSL, call your phone company and ask about ISDN... It's faster than dial-up, at lest...

[b]THIS GUY PLAYS GAMES, SATELITE INTERNET WILL BE A WASTE OF MONEY FOR HIM[/b]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Call your phone company and ask them if they offer DSL.
I use it and is as fast as cable but runs through your phone line, doesnt tie up the phone either.
View Quote

DSL is worse than cable for availability though...

You have to be within so-many-feet of your phone company office to get it, and I can PROMISE you that if you're far enough in the boonies to not have cable, you will NOT have DSL...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#14]
You are correct. EarthLink isn't available in my area. Nothing is, I've been looking for 7 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top