Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 1:44:37 PM EDT
An interested party wants to buy my pistol but doesn't want to provide any id. That raises a red flag with me. Don't I need a valid ID from the buyer to cover myself down the road should an incident occur with the weapon? What's the process?

Appreciate your feedback
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you have the responsibility to make sure he's a resident of the same state you live in, as well as old enough.

Asking for ID is one way to verify that. With the guns I've sold, I required a drivers license or other picture ID which I photocopied and keep in my personal files along with a signed bill of sale with both parties signatures.  I also gave the buyer a signed bill of sale.

It's probably paranoid, but I want the ability to prove that I disposed of the gun legally and correctly, and don't want to rely on the "I sold it to some guy at a gun show three years ago."

Once I had a 17 year old kid try to buy a handgun from me.  Once I saw his DOB I told him to take a hike.  I'm not exactly sure of the law on this point, but why take a chance like that?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
There are plenty of others who will buy your pistol, tell him to step off.

While you are not required to keep records, trying to hide his identity would be a red flag for sure.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...I want the ability to prove that I disposed of the gun legally and correctly ...
View Quote

Ditto!!  If this firearm shows up at a crime scene later on, that could [b]really[/b] save you a lot of grief.

There’s also potential issues as far as him being a convicted felon, mentally ill, illegal alien, convicted of a crime of domestic violence or such.

I have no idea to what degree you’re responsible for making sure none of the above are impediments to the sale.

I do remember an incident a few years ago where a guy sold a handgun to a neighborhood kid (maybe 17 years old) and the kid committed suicide with it.  The kid’s parents successfully sued the guy.

And look at what happened to folks that supplied the firearms that ultimately wound up in the hands of the idiots at Columbine H.S.

The fact that he won’t give you an ID certainly raises the possibility that either he isn’t eligible to purchase a firearm or he plans to do something illegal with it.

I wouldn’t even consider such a transaction!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
My requirements

1: A valid state issued picture id.
2: A valid IA purchase permit from a sheriff.

2 Bills of sale including copies of above will be created.

Both copies must be signed and transaction completed if front of a notary public.

My state law doesn't require all of this but better safe then sorry.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Show me a valid ccw or driver's license; that's all I ask...

Mike
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I would not risk it.

Why put your ass on the line?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top