Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 1:21:44 PM EDT
Two of the guys from my Volunteer Fire Department just got out of Boot Camp and will be going to Iraq in a couple of months after some more training.  I think I want to get them each a Cold Steal push knife, the Safe Keeper II.  Its kinda like the blade Tom Behringer used to cut Charlie Scheen's face with in Platoon.  What do you guys think?

http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-safe-keeper.html

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.mstn.biz/images/Knives/gberet03sm.jpg[/img]

This is what I sent with my best friend to Afghanistan on loan.

[i][red]Product ID: CRK-GB7    Category: Edged weapons
Chris Reeve 7-inch Green Beret Knife
Description: The "Yarborough" knife of the Green Berets. Designed by Bill Harsey and manufactured by Chris Reeve Knives, this knife is presented to each graduate of the Special Forces Qualification Course. Available to civilians as the Green Beret Knife.
Price:  $299.00[/red][/i]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-safe-keeper.html[/url]

[img]http://store1.yimg.com/I/csstoreonline_1767_4421341[/img]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They would get more use out of a good lock blade folder, or even a SAK or Multi-plier.  Plus encounter less problems in their travels.

Personally I would buy them a Good 1Watt LED Flashlight, like an Arc LS, Surefire L1 or L4 and some spare batteries.

The military is issueing [b]some[/b] people the Inova X5T, Inova Microlight, CMG Ultra-G, Inova 24/7, & CMG Sonic-G.  But the main issue flashlight remains the awful GI Angle head, and most people in the military seen to supplement that with a Mini-mag.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
They each have gotten Ka-bars from thier Dads'for full sized blades.  The flashlight idea is pretty damn good.  You guys dont think the push daggers would come in handy at all, huh?  Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd suggest a camelback and some shit load of handywipes (like the ones KFC gives ya)
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any other ideas?
View Quote

When I deployed to Somalia to single most usefull personally owned items I brought along were my swiss army knife, leatherman, and a copy of Red Storm rising.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I deployed to Somalia to single most usefull personally owned items I brought along were my swiss army knife, leatherman, and a copy of Red Storm rising.
View Quote

What AR15Fan said. Get them a leatherman/Gereber mutitool. Best all around utility tool they'll ever use...Other things to think about: A SW radio, a good pair of wind goggles (the issued ones suck), good books (the longer the better), Surefire flashlight w/ red lense....
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Go over to Cold Steel and get some factory 2nd's.  Who cares if the finish isn't perfect(thats what krylon matte black is for), their knives are G.I. tough!
[url]http://www.coldsteel.com/seconds.html[/url]

If you are true friend buy them some logs of steel  capped Copenhagen snuff, if your friends don't chew they can us it for trading or making a little cash when their buddies who chew run out!!!  Trust me, it is worth it weight in gold when supplies run out!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]
eodtech2000: Ditto on the factory Coldsteel 2nds. I have 2nds in their Trail Master 9". The blade may have a few blemishes, but its the cutting the counts. But they are heavy. If weight were an issue consider a Ka-Bar.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know about good luck. but...

get them a large-print bible (the Life Application Bible, NKJV comes to mind[:D]).

"For the Word of God is living and powerful,

and sharper than any two-edged sword,

piercing even to the division of soul and spirit,

and of joints and marrow,

and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Hebrews 4:12

besides, ANYTHING else you might buy them is temporary at best. The word of God is eternal and so is the result of applying it to your life .... eternal !!

-praying for you and your buddies - Kennon

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
One of my co-worker currently has a son in Iraq and I bought him couple of items before he left which he said were very useful.  The most useful item is a good solid multipurpose tool (Leatherman or Gerber kind) with a needle nose plier that I gave him.  Second most useful item he said was a small lock blade knife with sharp 3” blade.  Other items that I gave him that were useful are Surefire P6 with red filter (spare batteries too), a battery powered shaver and water proof sea bags (I gave him 2 each of small (1/2 cu ft.), medium size (1 cu ft.) and large (2 cu ft.).  He said the Oakley sunglass was good for a while but the lexan lens got too badly scratched by sand after just few weeks so I sent him a Rayband sunglasses with glass lens.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

get them a large-print bible (the Life Application Bible, NKJV comes to mind[:D]).

besides, ANYTHING else you might buy them is temporary at best. The word of God is eternal and so is the result of applying it to your life .... eternal !!

View Quote

Great idea... but Christian items are verboten!  Don't want to offend the locals. Atleast, when we were sending care packages, the info we got from the Red Cross said no Bibles or "religious material"

Damn stinking travesty.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone here has good ideas but I'd be inclined to ask them what they need or check out some of the threads here on what the guys already over there are asking for.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]
an AK-47....

Fidel
Out

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Great ideas, thanks guys.  Im leaning twords muti-tool and a good flashlight.  I'll bring it up at the next firehouse meeting that when they get there to send care packages with wipes, dip, and reading material.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Great idea... but Christian items are verboten!  Don't want to offend the locals. Atleast, when we were sending care packages, the info we got from the Red Cross said no Bibles or "religious material"

Damn stinking travesty.
View Quote

Don't send through the Red Cross,then [:D]

try Samaratin's purse (Franklin Graham's ministry).

Oh. one other thing;
the locals won't find out about your care package unless your friends are (Heaven forbid !!) overrun, right ??

What am I missing here ???

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Handheld GPS, Surefire flashlight, Leatherman, Cav Arms furniture.

Edited to add: BATTERIES!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Brown Paper Bags!!!
Spray On Deodorant (stripper scent)!!!
Rubbers!!!!

If they are single... eventually even the NATIVE poon will start to look good. They need to be prepared.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top