Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 12:09:38 PM EDT
I have about 30whole quail we shot last weekend.  What is the best way to cook them? I don't have a deep fryer.  I thought about coating them in flour and salt and pepper and using a skillet in some olive oil.
(dinner pic,,look out)
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
We used to get one of those plastic "oven bags" that will work in an oven.  Put some quail, onions, carrots, cut up potatoes, some gravy mix, a little water, and seasonings (such as Tony's) in the bag.  Put them in the oven to cook.

Cook some rice.  (What can I say.  My relatives are Cajuns.)  Put the gravy and vegetables on the rice and the quail on the side.

As my old Cajun Pappaw used to say, "Poo-yi !!"
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
that sounds tasty
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I like mine deep fried, but they are tasty cooked on the grill too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite way, and the local tradition, is to deep-fry them.

Since that's not an option for you, try brushing them w/ a little soy sauce and grilling them whole. Done right, it ain't bad at all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Deep Frying them is the local custom.  But since quail are white meat with little to no gamy taste, you can season or marinade it in anything you like with chicken (teriaki, BBQ, etc...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top