Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 7:40:37 AM EDT
This past summer my '93 Bronco was experiencing some difficulties(Transfer case let go, engine problems) and had 150,000 miles on it. I decided to sell the old girl and buy a pickup.

I found a '89 F150 4X4 with 82,000 reported miles on it. No major flaws, lots of small ones but I bought it for $1,800.

The engine is the 4.9L 300 CID inline 6. I've never been a gearhead but have lots of buds who are. All of them raved about how robust the 300 is.

Buzz words were used like 7 main bearing caps, bulletproof, major torque and the like.

I started adding some mods to the beast. BFG MTs, new wheels, dual exhausts, K&N filters and a billet grill from a totalled F250.

The truck has some issues still but it's coming along.

My gearhead buds were stalking me about building a puller truck. I resisted, I just wanted a reliable truck.

Then the bug bit. I wanted, no, I needed more HP and most of all I had to have more torque.

I blame my gearhead friends. At least that's the story I give the wife.

I found another F150 ('84 with 180,000 miles) with a 300 I6 that was being left to rust and die and talked the owner out of it for $300. I was told the engine had been rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago.

The donor engine looked like hell, the prior owner had stopped using any air filter and admittedly had never changed the oil since he had bought it.

This past week we started the rebuild. The engine was pulled and broken down for inspection.

The engine was absolutely flawless, the prior rebuild included cylinder wall honing and there was still evidence of honing in the cylinders. All crank bearings were in perfect shape and there were zero defects in any parts inspected.

Looks like I found a great base to build on.

The block and head will be sent out for cleaning and machining.

The list of prospective mods looks like this so far:

Rhoads variable lifters, they don't pump up until 2500 rpm.

Headers

Roller Rockers

280H cam

Decking the head

.030 bore on the cylinders

Forged pistons

High volume oil pump

Larger fuel injectors

and a new chip for the CPU.

Anything I'm missing?

Admittedly, I didn't know shit about combustion engines before but thanks to my very good buds, I'm well on my way to being a neophyte gearhead.

It's pretty fucking cool but the wallet is feeling the burn. I'm shooting for a June 30th date on the engine rebuild.

I can't wait till I have to start replacing drivetrain parts!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the weakest parts is the distributor, replace it with a good remanufactured one. Or a good aftermarket one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One of the weakest parts is the distributor, replace it with a good remanufactured one. Or a good aftermarket one.
View Quote

The donor truck distributor was in great shape, it looks as though it was replaced during the prior rebuild.

If I do start to have timing issues, the dizzy will be the first thing to go.

Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Any engine will make more horsepower if, it can breathe better. As I always suggest, better intake & a larger exaust will keep Your toy happy!

Have fun!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
You are going to be soooo happy with that 300

Yesterday when I was shopping for a truck I looked everywhere for a 300, best I could find was a v-6

You are a lucky man
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You are going to be soooo happy with that 300

Yesterday when I was shopping for a truck I looked everywhere for a 300, best I could find was a v-6

You are a lucky man
View Quote

I'm lucky in more ways than one, I'm blessed with great friends to help me with this project

There are always 300s for sale in the Truck Trader and Ohio Auto & RV trader mags.

Where in Canada are you? I could scope one for you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#6]
For some reason I thought you said older truck. Shit, What you got is NEW compare to what I drive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For some reason I thought you said older truck. Shit, What you got is NEW compare to what I drive.
View Quote

Two decades ago seems older to me.

Whatcha drivin'?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Whatcha driving?

'52 GMC with an older 216ci.
'78 El Camino
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Brand red-x pickup truck I see...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Still up for me but HPphoto has been flaky.

Anyone else getting Rexes?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#11]
What tire size do you need for those red X's..?  [:)]

Mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm amazed you can fit that big old 300 inside of a little bitty [red]x[/red]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Red x for me too.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Should be fixed.

So much for Hpphoto.com.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Maynard, 300 sixes are famous for startup engine rattle due to oil draining back from the oil filter after sitting awhile. Ford came out with a fix though, dont know when. The piece that screws into the block that the oil filter mounts on is hollow on engines normally. Ford has a part available (I've gotten 2 of them, have 3 - 300's here) that replaces it. The upgraded part has a ball and spring inside of it that keeps the oil from draining out the filter while sitting, ie overnight. It worked for me, I hate waiting for oil pressure to build and listening to that rattle, knowing what else it causes too. The Ford upgraded part was around $70 to me, alot I know, but less than a engine. They may be cheaper somewhere else, aftermarket. Some oil filters may also be designed now to keep oil in the filter, but I don't know which ones. I use Motorcraft FL1A's on all mine.

P.S. I sure would have liked to gotten up with you on that 93 Bronco.

HTH

Danny
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maynard, 300 sixes are famous for startup engine rattle due to oil draining back from the oil filter after sitting awhile. Ford came out with a fix though, dont know when. The piece that screws into the block that the oil filter mounts on is hollow on engines normally. Ford has a part available (I've gotten 2 of them, have 3 - 300's here) that replaces it. The upgraded part has a ball and spring inside of it that keeps the oil from draining out the filter while sitting, ie overnight. It worked for me, I hate waiting for oil pressure to build and listening to that rattle, knowing what else it causes too. The Ford upgraded part was around $70 to me, alot I know, but less than a engine. They may be cheaper somewhere else, aftermarket. Some oil filters may also be designed now to keep oil in the filter, but I don't know which ones. I use Motorcraft FL1A's on all mine.

P.S. I sure would have liked to gotten up with you on that 93 Bronco.

HTH

Danny
View Quote

The 300 death rattle is what I've coined it. the first time I changed the oil I shut it back off after about 5 seconds of what sounded like the engine seizing.

I'll check into that part as I hate the initial rattle.

The donor engine had more wear on the main bearings towards the front of the engine with the thrust bearing showing very little wear at all. From what I gathered this is evidence of a poor design on the oiling system.

The Bronco was a great truck. After I got it all cleaned up I almost didn't sell it.

I'd love to see Ford bring a Bronco style SUV back. Be even better if they put a desiel in it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have any trouble getting the Ford part number for it let me know. I have the best Ford parts man just a phone call away.

Danny

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#19]
ABout two weeks ago i gave away a new 4" lift kit that would fit your truck. I'll look to see if I have any other parts that will go on yours.

cruizer
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the best Ford parts man just a phone call away.

Danny

View Quote

This says all that needs to be said about Fords! [}:D]
View Quote

I have the best GM parts man a phone call away too.

Striker, I can't help you with the parts for your Nash, or Studebaker. [:D]

Danny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top