User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 4/14/2019 11:38:30 AM EDT
Didn't see anything on the trial.

This lady:

Was accidentally shot by this officer:

It's a shocking story

"Damond was shot in the abdomen and killed while wearing her pajamas after she approached a police cruiser containing Noor and another officer, Matthew Harrity. Noor, who was in the passenger seat, is accusing of shooting Damond through the driver’s side window. Damond had called 911 to report a possible assault in an alley behind her home on July 15, reports The Minneapolis Star-Tribune."

"Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driver’s side door, sources confirmed. No weapon was found at the scene,” the Star Tribune reported."

With the trial underway, there are probably lots of things that are new.

Maybe some locals can help fill in the story...
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't realize the trial had started. I'm pretty close to there, maybe it will show up in the newsfeed. I'll post here if I see anything.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Additional Officers Testify In Mohamed Noor Trial, Body Cam Footage Shown

"Officer Jesse Lopez testified Friday, saying he had no authority over Noor when he told him not to talk to anyone after the shooting. He said he was not commanding Noor, he was giving him advice."

This is generally accepted advice after any shooting.

Bodycam footage was shown, may be released to public.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Accidentally on purpose?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't realize the trial had started. I'm pretty close to there, maybe it will show up in the newsfeed. I'll post here if I see anything.
View Quote
Locals can often fill in the blanks on the general attributes of a neighborhood, etc.

I used up all of my MPLS Star-Tribune free articles, so if someone else wants to post snippets, please do.

As she was Australian, international coverage may provide a different perspective.

From Australia:

'I was in shock, shaking': Justine Ruszczyk Damond's fiance recalls the night she died

More

New Zealand weighs in with this:

Justine Ruszczyk Damond shooting: 'Because his name is Mohamed it's different'

"When Noor was charged last year, the Somali-American Police Officers Association said: "We believe these charges are baseless and politically motivated, if not racially motivated as well."

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Deep FRY that motherfucker, extra crispy. NO fucking reason for that action that can be "explained away", with out some SERIOUS shennajgans being pulled. IF he is that "scared" by somebody approaching where he happens to be, then WHO THE FUCK thought that it would be okay for him to a gun?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
He’ll probably get off...
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I used up all of my MPLS Star-Tribune free articles, so if someone else wants to post snippets, please do.
View Quote
Try flipping on incognito mode.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the single most heinous acts by a police officer I've heard of.

Fucker needs to hang by his Somali neck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He'll probably get off...
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Locals can often fill in the blanks on the general attributes of a neighborhood, etc.

As she was Australian, international coverage may provide a different perspective.

From Australia:

'I was in shock, shaking': Justine Ruszczyk Damond's fiance recalls the night she died

More

New Zealand weighs in with this:

Justine Ruszczyk Damond shooting: 'Because his name is Mohamed it's different'

"When Noor was charged last year, the Somali-American Police Officers Association said: "We believe these charges are baseless and politically motivated, if not racially motivated as well."

Yep.
View Quote
Her name wasn't on one of those guns in white paint was it. Fuck you New Zealand
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This lady:

View Quote
I strongly disagree with the use of that term.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a snip:

The prosecution also questioned statements by Noor's police partner, Matthew Harrity, that the officers heard a loud thump on the back of the car in the moments before the shooting.
Harrity only mentioned the thump for the first time several days later, Lofton said.

Prosecutors also said there was no DNA evidence that Damond touched the officers' car.

In his opening statement, defence attorney Peter Wold said that Noor and Harrity believed they were in a "classic ambush scenario" when Damond approached their car.

"It was a perfect storm with tragic consequences," Wold said. "It was a tragedy but in no way was it a crime."

He urged jurors not to use "20-20 hindsight" in their judgement and to remember that Noor had only milliseconds to respond to a potentially dangerous situation.

Judge Kathryn Quaintance said the case had attracted more pre-trial publicity than any criminal trial she had seen in almost 20 years in Minnesota.

The trial continues on Wednesday and is expected to last for a month.

When was the last time a white blonde in PJs ambushed a cop?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He’ll probably get off...
View Quote
Guaranteed.

Multiple defense theories will be used, from PTSD from the Somalia civil war to racial discrimination in the US to "she made a move, he had to get it on."

It'll be blamed on bad training or some shit & all this will be swept under the rug after the not guilty verdict.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Unholstering, aiming and firing a weapon isn't a reaction to a jump scare.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Guaranteed.

Multiple defense theories will be used, from PTSD from the Somalia civil war to racial discrimination in the US to "she made a move, he had to get it on."

It'll be blamed on bad training or some shit & all this will be swept under the rug after the not guilty verdict.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guaranteed.

Cops need to be held personally and financially responsible. Epic wrongful death suit incoming.

If she was my family member and that fucker walked I couldn't help but seek to avenge her death.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This lady:

Well it couldn't have been negligent, as he was a highly trained professional. It couldn't have been deliberate, because Mayor Betsy said he was wonderful

So it must have been an accident.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Somalia exports a guy to the US to shoot a woman from a country that exported a guy to New Zealand to shoot Bangladeshis.This is just way too complicated.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Not having a cam turned on because you're not expecting anything is like not having a round chambered.
Let's put an auxilary sensor in the holster that ensures the cam is on if your weapon is drawn.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Interesting article.  Everything I've heard/read so far is that they didn't have any expectation to be making contact at the moment the shooting occurred, so I don't know that they'd have reason to have turned their body cams on yet.

Also interesting that the entirety of that article is the Daily Mail's interpretation of department policy, with one "substantiating" claim from some nameless "women's group."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither officer had their bodycam on in violation of dept rules

Bodycams were mandated after the Philandro Castile shooting
Interesting article.  Everything I've heard/read so far is that they didn't have any expectation to be making contact at the moment the shooting occurred, so I don't know that they'd have reason to have turned their body cams on yet.

Also interesting that the entirety of that article is the Daily Mail's interpretation of department policy, with one "substantiating" claim from some nameless "women's group."
While I totally agree with you on all of that, I've seen some Dept policies which state you must activate the body cam when you're dispatched to a call.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not having a cam turned on because you're not expecting anything is like not having a round chambered.
Let's put an auxilary sensor in the holster that ensures the cam is on if your weapon is drawn.
View Quote
That's an optional accessory.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this
He may not get off scot-free but he will not "pay" for his crime either.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Somali gonna Somali

Especially when the Somali  thinks he gonna get away with it

Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#26]
It's ok 'cause he's probably mentally ill.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#27]
OST
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Sometimes I wish public hangings were still a thing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Tagging this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#30]
"Somali-American Police Officers Association"
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude needs to be in prison.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
That means he'll probably walk.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Deep FRY that motherfucker, extra crispy. NO fucking reason for that action that can be "explained away", with out some SERIOUS shennajgans being pulled. IF he is that "scared" by somebody approaching where he happens to be, then WHO THE FUCK thought that it would be okay for him to a gun?
View Quote
Of course it can be. He thought it was a taser.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Way back when this happened, the reports was a person, in the dark and unrecognizable, was running toward them in their squad car.  If it was not expected the complainant would be there to greet them, then I could imagine they suspected an ambush or bad guy intent on harming them.

Everyday on arfcom GD we hear keyborne rangers tell us how they are going to shoot them some bad guy if he even looks sideways at them.  But GD also wants to string up every police officer for everything, especially when they have no clue of what actually happened.  Monday morning quarterbacking is an arfcom GD sport that is highly competitive.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Way back when this happened, the reports was a person, in the dark and unrecognizable, was running toward them in their squad car.  If it was not expected the complainant would be there to greet them, then I could imagine they suspected an ambush or bad guy intent on harming them.

Everyday on arfcom GD we hear keyborne rangers tell us how they are going to shoot them some bad guy if he even looks sideways at them.  But GD also wants to string up every police officer for everything, especially when they have no clue of what actually happened.  Monday morning quarterbacking is an arfcom GD sport that is highly competitive.
View Quote
They were rolling on a possible sexual assault/rape-she could have been a rape victim coming to them for help after the rapist ran off.

Shoot first,figure the shit out later..........
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
She was talking to his partner, who was in the driver's seat.

Maybe wearing PJ's instead of a hijab pushed gigabrain over the edge.

Allah! She has not covered herself! Derka derka derka BANG.

Don't take my word for it. Let the official state legal dude handle it:

"State prosecutor and head of the County Attorney's office, Mike Freeman, said that there was 'no evidence' that Noor was threatened by Justine.

'In the short time between when Ms Damond-Ruszczyk approached the squad car and the time Officer Noor fired the fatal shot, there is no evidence that officer Noor encountered a threat, appreciated a threat, investigated a threat or confirmed a threat that justified his decision to use deadly force,' he said.

'Instead, Officer Noor recklessly and intentionally fired his handgun from the passenger seat in disregard for human life. Such actions violate the criminal law.'

Ever had someone fire past you from the passenger seat? I sure haven't.

What was genius thinking? Seriously.

What kind of guy instinct pushes one to shoot an unarmed female seeking help?

Maybe I'm just uncultured.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought the driver rolled down the window to talk to her.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Unholstering, aiming and firing a weapon isn't a reaction to a jump scare.
View Quote
Yeah, that doesn't pass the smell test...............
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Did the officer go home safe? That's all that matters.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#43]
He doesn't look like the Somalies we have here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sometimes I wish public hangings were still a thing.
View Quote
I have said this for YEARS. I completely agree!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the driver was in the middle of a conversation with her, the window on driver side down. I don't think it was a startle response.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

She was talking to his partner, who was in the driver's seat.

Maybe wearing PJ's instead of a hijab pushed gigabrain over the edge.

Allah! She has not covered herself! Derka derka derka BANG.

https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2017_29/2074881/170717-justine-damond-cr-0721_0da1170e4f52f4596dbccd23e257cfa1.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/03/20/20/4A61A5DE00000578-5524259-Noor_pictured_shot_Damond_in_the_stomach_when_she_approached_his-m-11_1521578383008.jpg

Don't take my word for it. Let the official state legal dude handle it:

"State prosecutor and head of the County Attorney's office, Mike Freeman, said that there was 'no evidence' that Noor was threatened by Justine.

'In the short time between when Ms Damond-Ruszczyk approached the squad car and the time Officer Noor fired the fatal shot, there is no evidence that officer Noor encountered a threat, appreciated a threat, investigated a threat or confirmed a threat that justified his decision to use deadly force,' he said.

'Instead, Officer Noor recklessly and intentionally fired his handgun from the passenger seat in disregard for human life. Such actions violate the criminal law.'

Ever had someone fire past you from the passenger seat? I sure haven't.

What was genius thinking? Seriously.

What kind of guy instinct pushes one to shoot an unarmed female seeking help?

Maybe I'm just uncultured.
View Quote
Nope. You have it right. Where was the threat? IDGAF if this was some white, brown, black, yellow cop. That's a fucking retarded move to shoot someone on site. However, my personal opinions about the entire scenario mirror yours....
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#47]
OST
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
"Somali-American Police Officers Association"
View Quote
That was weird to me also. Is the regular Association not diverse enough?
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been following those. I think it's interesting that most of the cops called as prosecution witnesses refused to meet prior to the trial to discuss their testimony with the prosecution.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2019/04/at-the-noor-trial-11.php

Before I get to the heart of her testimony I should note that Barnette was one of the police non-cooperators with the County Attorney’s investigation of the killing. The County Attorney’s undertook the investigation after he found the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension’s investigation to be inadequate. Barnette refused to talk voluntarily to the County Attorney. Her testimony was compelled before the grand jury that the County Attorney empaneled specifically to obtain the testimony of the police non-cooperators.
The second bodycam clip is nevertheless crucial. She talked to Harrity upon arrival. The second clip captures Harrity’s explanation of the shooting to Barnette: “She just came out of nowhere on the side of the thing [squad car] and we both got spooked. I had my gun out. I didn’t fire. And then Noor pulled out and fired.”
After the initial playing of the three video clips we broke for lunch. Barnette’s testimony consumed most of the afternoon. Barnette couldn’t explain why she turned her bodycam on and off.
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2019/04/at-the-noor-trial-12.php

Taking his testimony at face value, he saw Justine approaching the squad car cell phone in her left hand, her right hand raised. She was 7-10 feet from the squad. He heard no noise before Noor’s gunshot. He heard the gunshot as he passed.
One detail from Dunlap’s testimony would have escaped me but for Lou’s notes on Twitter. Officer Harrity failed to turn on his bodycam at any time during his shift on July 15 except, as it appears, immediately after the shooting. Given the way the bodycam records, with a 30-second silent buffer before it adds sound, there appears to be a 15-second gap (my term) that should have caught the shooting.
The prosecution also called Minneapolis police officer Richard Opitz. After roll call on the morning of July 16, he was ordered to the scene. At the scene Sergeant Barnette ordered him to take the Harrity/Noor squad car from which Noor had fired the gunshot to the carwash and have it cleaned. He took it to Dan’s Nicollet Carwash. He saw fingerprint powder on the squad car that was not entirely removed by the carwash. He drove the car back to the fifth precinct headquarters parking lot to be returned to service.
Most of the officers on the scene for this have had to have their testimony dragged out with pliers. I find it ironic that we hear a lot from leos ont his site that good cops don't tolerate bad cops. For the most part I do believe that, but I also believe that cultures vary across different PDs and this one seems more interested in protecting a trigger happy screwup then speaking for the dead woman.

And how does a cop go most of an entire shift with never turning on his body cam? And both had guns drawn while driving down the alley but neglected to turn their body cams on? That stinks right there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
So if you are on the block where the call report was from, and don’t have your cameras on, then when would you turn them on? After you first encounter either a witness or suspect? After you have bailed out of the car? After you have already arrested someone? Any policy that didn’t start recording before an officer would be likely to encounter anything specifically related to a call would be an idiotic policy. After you are already on the block, that would be idiotic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top