Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 6:19:20 AM EDT
both on amc tonight, starting at 4pm cst.

Cool!

TXL
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, good stuff, I remember seeing them both in the theater.

I hope they play the long version of Midway
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I actually flew in the Jap Kate bomber that was in the movie TORA TORA TORA......a local airshow that we sponsored about 7-8 yrs ago.

It was trippin'
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah, good stuff, I remember seeing them both in the theater.
View Quote

I remember seeing Midway in the theater with my mom.

I hope they play the long version of Midway
View Quote

Sigh....I had really hoped they would do the whole shebang on the DVD. Imagine my disappointment when they put the editted clips under the Special Features instead of IN the movie!

I love Midway, but man I wish they had looked for more real footage. Watching the WASP double for the Midway CV is way too annoying. So many technical errors it just gets distracting.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah, and watching Charlton crash that F9 Panther... wooooo

Im sure with all the WW2 footage, they could have found film of a Hellcat crash into the deck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yeah, and watching Charlton crash that F9 Panther... wooooo
View Quote

[lol] I had forgotten that...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone seen the show 'rivals' -on  bull halsey versus yamamoto.

"when I get done with them, the only place they'll be speaking japanese is in hell".

halsey was supposed to be in pearl harbor on dec. 7, but was delayed. The ship in 'his' berth was sunk. He was pissed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever notice in Tora Tora Tora, that Yamamoto sounds exactly like the voice that narrates the Haunted Mansion ride at Disney World in Florida?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#8]
well it was the Lexington they used in Midway.  Even reversed the negatives to put the island on the port side.

The Hawaii bunkers and batteries were shot at Upper Reservation of Ft. MacArthur in San Pedro.  Still open to the public.  The quonset hut was the one my Dad mustered into active duty at when drafted, lower reservation Ft. Mac.

One of the buildings was the one I worked in at Pensacola at the time of the movie release.

If they'ld made it true to the real story without the schlocky love story it would have been better.  I saw it in the local theatre nearest the Navy War College the night it opened in RI.  There were the occasional snickers and laughs when one of the film-makers short cuts showed up.  Like the Lex reversed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top