Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2003 9:23:58 PM EDT
Ok, you need to sit down. Are you ready for this? It's kind of a long read.

paris.indymedia.org/article.php3?id_article=13086

The Racist Tapestry of Lord of the Rings !

By Lloyd Hart

I don't imagine that it was the intention of the director or the producers of the Lord of the Rings films to paint a racist stereotypical tapestry over what could be described as a basic set of principles of humanity's behavior in the natural environment and with each other. However, the fact is that the only people of skin color in the entire three part series of films are all associated with the Dark Lord Sauron, the destruction of the earth and all of its occupants. Not to mention the elephant riding mercenaries that resemble the cultures of the Arab world as well as Africa, Persia and East Asia and the fact that the Monarch of the land of Rohan, King Théoden a white guy yelled out "You great warriors of the West" in the final part of his speech to rouse the troops into battle in the third film.

In these times when a homicidal maniac from Texas (the Texas capital punishment policy under Bush) has stolen the American throne and called for a "crusade" against the "evil doers" in nations that white people have been invading, terrorizing, raping and pillaging in for 5000 years with zero provocation, I think we could manage some cultural sensitivity in our popular culture which one must acknowledge has a powerful propaganda affect on the general population that participates in it.

Can you imagine how people of skin color, of Persian, Arab and East Asian ethnic background feel when they come out of these films where all the heroes are white and all the "evil doers" are of dark skin. Being married to an Asian American I watch people disregard my wife everyday while regarding me, simply because of her skin color. Being part of a European family that has lived on the North American continent for 400 years I've been lucky enough to gain perspective that when you create an evil character (Uruk-hai) that resembles native Americans as they have done in the Lord of the Rings films a great deal of cultural and racial alienation will occur.

I am sure that once the filmmakers read this article there will be claims that they had to stay true to the story that J. R. R. Tolkien wrote, but the fact is, African and Asian cultures have always been a part of the European fabric whose ancient legends and fairy tales gave birth to J. R. R. Tolkien's epic portrayal of the battle between good and evil. And what about the Ancient Picts, a tattooed darker skinned cultured that once dominant in the UK. As someone who has grown up in one of the nation's of the Commonwealth of the British Empire, I know for a fact that J. R. R. Tolkien's generation were deeply influenced and thus deeply moved by all those people of skin color that fought alongside white members of the British forces in World War One and World War Two forming lifelong friendships and deep emotional ties.

In fact all Europe's mathematics, reading and writing and technological advancements in transportation and warfare are all based on African and Asian concepts. The reason that Western medicine has not advanced to the enlightened technological level as Chinese herbal medicine and why most Western technology is diametrically opposed to all life on this planet, poisoning our air and water and causing widespread disease and death is for the simple fact that the Freemasons and the Church have not yet let go of the death grip they have on each other's throats. In other words, the enlightened knowledge that the church has attempted to destroy that the Freemasons attempted to save and capitalize on with Western patents has turned into a death struggle that has created destructive technological paradigms here in the West that are now being forced on the populations of the entire earth destabilizing life and bringing with them the pollution of the air and water that once existed only in Christendom.

Of course there are redeeming images and ideas portrayed in the films such as the Ents protecting the forests by destroying the industrial military complex as well as the fact that white people can be turned to evil to join forces with all the evil dark skinned man flesh eating Orcs and Uruk-hai.

It is important to understand that young people are impressionable and influenced by the symbols foisted on them by the popular culture. It would not have been that difficult to make a contemporary version of the Lord of the Rings that included the heroic symbols of people of skin color. I think J.R.R. Tolkien wouldn't have minded including people of skin color as heros in these films if he were alive today. Especially after witnessing the rise of the civil rights movements in both the U.S. and the U.K.. I'm so glad that the Dwarfs, Elves and Hobits finally got their due but unfortunately this was washed away by the lack of heroic images of people of skin color. After watching the Lord of the Rings films I thank the universe and Mother Earth for the Rap/hip-hop culture and the counterbalancing influence the Rap/hip-hop culture has on the youth here in America and around the world.

http://dadapop.com

What a moron! Read all the comments after the article, they are hilarious. The best one is "Dear sir : As a member of the Choctaw nation, I assure you that American indians have no fangs or talons, are not born in slimy bogs, and are not unremittingly evil. It offends me tremendously that you apparently do."
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You sure this wasn't written by Micheal Moore or the IDOIT from SNL
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I missed whatever it is about the Uruk Hai that reminded the author of the native Americans.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang, it's gay [i]and[/i] racist! [:)]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
And there is a bogey man under every bed.

I think it is a real stretch of the imagination to get there, but I guess you could.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I think this sums up the atricle just fine.
This is the last critique on that page.

"You, sir, are a fucking idiot. "

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
All I want is MY minority discount when I go to the local up-town Wal-mart. Is that too much to ask? (Ya'll bringin a brother down)

Of course it's a grand conspiracy silly.....did'nt anyone ever tell you about the boss man?

Black may be beautiful,
Tan may be grand,
But
WHITE is the color of the BIG BOSS man!

That ought to piss off everyone, since I'm black I guess I can say that now can't I? I love being black couse I can call my bud a Ni@@a and not get the crap beat outa me.....chillin' aint it?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Movie sucked.  I was hoping Frodo would die already.  It would have made him a true hero.  So sick and tired of all the predictable happy endings in movies.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a moronic article, full of politically correctness SHIT.

The father of italian poetry in the Renaissance Age was Dante Alighieri, I don't know the equivalent for USA (maybe for importance Walt Whitmann?) but for Europe is one of the greatest poets of all ages. He wrote, among others, the mystic poem [i]The  Divine Comedy[/i] where he painted the world after the death: Hell, Purgatory and Paradise.

In the Hell he put, among the false prophets, Muhammad, the father of Islam.

Should this considered "racist" and forbidden?
Should the beauty of this poem be ignored for this?
Should we Italians renounce to our cultural heritage because of this?

I say THE HELL NO!

I am a strongly opponent of antisemitism, but I cannot renounce to appreciate the beauty of the Wagner music: If I did this I'll be only a political correct ASSHOLE OBSCURANTIST. I've ENOUGH brain to be open and fair to other people ANYWAY.

But maybe this journalist has not enough culture (and nothing better to do...) to distinguish an give a REAL SUPPORT to tolerance.

This man forgot that to indicate what is "correct" to read and what is "not" is only the first step toward dictatorship...

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:49:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Movie sucked.  I was hoping Frodo would die already.  It would have made him a true hero.  So sick and tired of all the predictable happy endings in movies.  
View Quote

Umm...blame Tolkien, bro.  It's the way the book ended.  Frodo Lives, ya know?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Tolkien was a best friend of CS Lewis. Both men were devout Christians and had a reputation of non-racist writing. Tolkien was a scholar in Athurian legends (shown by his fascination in 'quests' and 'the sword')and purposefully blended many of his own writings into multi-cultural and multi-racial harmony. Whoever that guy was who wrote the article may have wanted to stir things up, but he sure wasnt a historian familiar with Tolkien personally or his writings.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's a moronic article, full of politically correctness SHIT.

The father of italian poetry in the Renaissance Age was Dante Alighieri, I don't know the equivalent for USA (maybe for importance Walt Whitmann?) but for Europe is one of the greatest poets of all ages. He wrote, among others, the mystic poem [i]The  Divine Comedy[/i] where he painted the world after the death: Hell, Purgatory and Paradise.

In the Hell he put, among the false prophets, Muhammad, the father of Islam.

Should this considered "racist" and forbidden?
Should the beauty of this poem be ignored for this?
Should we Italians renounce to our cultural heritage because of this?

I say THE HELL NO!

I am a strongly opponent of antisemitism, but I cannot renounce to appreciate the beauty of the Wagner music: If I did this I'll be only a political correct ASSHOLE OBSCURANTIST. I've ENOUGH brain to be open and fair to other people ANYWAY.

But maybe this journalist has not enough culture (and nothing better to do...) to distinguish an give a REAL SUPPORT to tolerance.

This man forgot that to indicate what is "correct" to read and what is "not" is only the first step toward dictatorship...

View Quote

HEY PAOLO!  I think what you're missing is this attitude in the US to hate yourself for what happened hundreds of years ago, by a world that thought it was ok to enslave others.  Just look at the Africans, they were enslaving eachother WAY before we (the British) got there.  

The recent trend in America is to wipe out all traces of past indiscretions, so we aren't reminded of them.  Such is the case as the recent support down south for renaming a school, which bears the name of one of our ex presidents, who happened to be a slave owner.  It makes no fucking sense, but they do it anyway, just to be "politically correct."

Personally, I think the author is the real racist.  How many people here watched LOTR's III and saw blacks, arabs and indians?  Well, i guess you can say I saw them as being Arabs, but that's besides the point!  I could not imagine seeing the faces and thinking, "well, that one looks black" or "that one looks indian."  It takes a WARPED mind to really look for that, then to ACTUALLY SEE IT!  Trust me when I say, this author is the actual racist and he is trying to cope with it by denouncing his own racism.  This really is more of the "hate whitey" crap, lets just hope he hates himself enough to do something about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I do believe that the "author" of that tirad is ashamed of his race, tis a pity. If he can't love himself who will?  [:D]

I thank the universe and Mother Earth for the Rap/hip-hop culture and the counterbalancing influence the Rap/hip-hop culture has on the youth here in America and around the world.
View Quote

You mean by making role models out of criminals, thugs, and people with such poor dental hygeine they've had to have false teeh put in before they are 18?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Our sun is racist with all of that white light coming from it.  

Idiots.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#14]
my fav reply was something along the lines of...

"the author is french isnt he? what he really means is 'we surrender!'"

LOL i died when i saw that [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#15]
That author is an idiot. I have only seen parts of the first and second one, but watched all of the third one and I know that movie isn't racist.

Hell, the evil wizard guy was white.

Oh wait, he also controled all the evil monsters and stuff, I guess that means the monsters should call him massa [BD]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#16]
makes me want to go see it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#17]
What a bunch or crap! I am SO sick and tired of these supposed "enlightened" idiots telling us all that we shouldn't see colors, when THEY are the ones who see color in EVERY single thing they do. Indeed, it is they who are the racists. They have met the racist, and the racist is THEM.

BTW... that website just makes me MAD even trying to browse it. It is amazing that these people can even type. "The Underground" is an underground of stupidty and ignorance.

Edited to add: The movie was GREAT and what Peter Jackson had done over the course of 5+ years with the series is much more amazing than what James Cameron did with Titanic. And yet, Cameron was the "dear" of "the Academy" while Jackson is snubbed. Of course, the Academy is idiotic.

And yeah, I got tired of that whiny little Frodo (in the movie) too. Samwise was the man...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Red-Label is of course right.

I thought the movie was a great piece of racial unity propaganda.  For a racist view of the future check out the stupid orgy scene in the latest Matrix movie.  90% of the males are black, 95% of the females are white.  I am a pretty tolerant person but that really had the gag reflex going.

We're all prejudiced.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#20]
SuperChicken - you owe me three braincells that committed suicide over having to read such idiotic crap!  I feel like I'm dumber now, having read something so dumb [:(]

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#21]
DK-Prof I think you might have been searching for this;

"what you just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things that I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent reponse were you even close to anything that can be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul."
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I couldn't stay awake through any of these stupid movies, anyway. I would advise the author of the article to read up on the American Civil War, for I am sure it will make him feel better since 500,000 white guys died in that war. Reparations? As far as I am concerned 500,000 lives already paid in full. I would also advise him that when he critiques the West, that he should also keep in mind that Mohamid was a rapist and murderer and enslaved most of north africa.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, a book written over 50 years ago in another country is racist against american groups?

Or did the author miss the part about this movie being based on a book and making an effort to actually FOLLOW THE BOOK (Rare, but this one tried & did quite well, comparatively)???

The book was written based on Midevil European characters, 'Middle Earth' does not have an Africa, or Asia, (it's one big landmass) and if you look at the map shown in the movies, the lands of men are located to the west, Mordor ('evil-land') is to the east, and so on...

Reminds me of Star Wars: Episode One being called 'racist' because some of the aliens were supposedly 'black' (Floppy-ears' people) or 'jewish' (watto)...

Why can't people just look at fantasy/sci-fi movies in the movie's world, instead of trying to transpose them to our world?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
DK-Prof I think you might have been searching for this;

"what you just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things that I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent reponse were you even close to anything that can be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul."
View Quote

[ROFL2]

That would pretty much capture my feelings, yeah.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:02:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I couldn't stay awake through any of these stupid movies, anyway.
View Quote

Your loss.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#26]
this guy should just kill himself and get it over with
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#27]
"Tolkien's conservatism and his Catholicism shaped the grandest adventure tale of our times."

[url]http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=11481[/url]

Although he loathed allegory, Tolkien wrote in a 1953 letter to Fr. Robert Murray: "’The Lord of the Rings’ is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top