Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 8:15:59 PM EDT
I would like to get a motorcycle but since I'm a novice I'm not sure of which. I'm looking for something that would be great for weekend rides in the countryside. I'm not into off-road.
What would you recommed.

thanks

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a MSF class in your area.  They usually supply the bike and all the gear you'll need to take the class.

Buy a used 250 to 500 cruiser or basic motorcycle to start.  It will fall a few times during the first few months and you don't want to start out breaking things on a new motorcycle.  Once you've been in the saddle for a little while you'll have a better understanding of the type of riding you're most interested in and what motorcycle would most meet your needs.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My first road bike was a 2003 H-D Super Glide....  I love it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You can probably pick up an older Ninja 250 for about $1500. When you outgrow the Ninja buy a bigger bike but keep the Ninja for a track whore.

I started on a Suzuki GS500. It's a standard, not quite a sport bike but not quite a cruiser. Now I ride a Triumph Speed Triple.

[img]http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pshop/Pipe1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
another vote for triumph.

triples sound great.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Buell?  Crotch-rocket styling, but American Made.

$4600 bucks, MSRP [url]http://www.buell.com/en_us/products/motorcycles/blast/blastmain.asp[/url]
If I was going for a new bike, that'd be it.

Of course, I'd probably just grab a used Jap piece of crap to learn on, probably a Rebel or some such.  I'd get a Sportster, but around here, anything with H-D on it costs WAAAAAAAY too much.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a used, slightly beat up 500cc bike to start on after a MSF class..

I CANNOT stress taking the MSF class enough!

500 will be enough power to start with, and if you drop it..no biggie!

Then move on to a bike you want after you ride around a bit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do you not want to off-road?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad's boss's son is going to let me ride around on his 250cc dirt bike. Ive never riden before, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Good excuse to go through MSF course too! If things go well, I could end up buying it from him since he got a new 450cc bike.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:26:53 AM EDT
[#9]
The used 250 sounds good. Otherwise, I would recommend a used Suzuki GS425, GS450, or GS500. they are all basically the same bike with displacement variations. They have made them for a lonf time, so you should be able to find a used one around.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Let me echo the call for formal training in an MSF RiderCourse.  There's a lot of your car driving experience that won't apply to making a motorcycle do what you want it to.

BTW, in the Basic RiderCourse there is a lesson on selecting the proper motorcycle for [i]you[/i].

Have fun, and be safe out there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Hell, I guess I went about it the wrong way.  My first bike ever was (and still is) a Harley-Davidson 2003 Wide Glide.  And no, I had never been on a motorcycle at all before I bought it.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:24:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree with posters who indicate "start smaller" and work your way up in scooter weight, it's not a bad way to learn how to "properly" handle a scoot.

[b]2 tips[/b] that have kept me alive for the 30+ years I've traveled on 2 wheels:

[b]1. Always watch the [b]front tires[/b] of the vehicles your approaching.[/b] The "front tires" will provide a preliminary warning of "unsignaled" lane changes and "unexpected" turns.

[b]2. Never put the scoot on the pavement.[/b] Once you've dropped the bike, "your simply along for the ride", while as long as the scoot is up-right sliding and manuvering techniques are still an option. (these techniques of broad-sliding a large bike, like the 1500cc, 870lb. v-twin Nomad I currently drive, are BEST learned on smaller scoots as the heavier the bike the more difficult to control in drifting conditions)

My father a former dirt-tracker gave me these tips when I first started riding, they save my life quite regularly, they'll save yours too!

Mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's a sweet little beginners bike.
Not too big.
Not too fast.
Not too baaaad...!

[img]http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/500/01vm_blk_1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#16]
last year i picked up a kawasaki vulcan ltd. 500cc. same parallel twin that in is the ninja500cc. Used with very low miles they are going for around 2-3 grand. This one had 1500 miles on it. VERY forgiving bike and a good starter. Cheap enough to not be to worrried about screwing up and enough stlye to hide the training wheels [:D]

mike

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15299[/img]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm looking at buying a Big Dog Ridgeback or softail chopper, I'm still checking on insurance though, It's steep!

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Skip Harleys starting out, except for the sportsters they mostly have a cruiser slouchy riding position, which although it gives false confidence to new riders and women because you can easily get your feet on the ground, it is poorly suited to long rides and good control of the bike. Also, most importantly, you are paying a high premium for the name on the side as the engineering and build quality, depending on the age of the Harley, are at best equal to japanese bikes.
View Quote

The first part is pure fiction, however, I agree with your second statement in general even though there are plenty of exceptions.

Jeff Stanton
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#19]
My usual question here....

What do you want to spend?  That is the key to what kind of bike folks can recommend.

I also can't stress enough... take the MSF course.  go here [url]http://www.msf-usa.org/[/url]

My first bike, and current and only bike, is a Sportster Sport 1200.  It has an engine in it that's part harley part buell (dual plug heads).  I paid MSRP for the bike brand new in 2001.  It was probably a bit much bike for a beginner, but it worked out for me.  I just took it easy in the beginning.

Taking the class is key though.  It will let you know if riding is something you're truly interested in.  There were a couple of people in my class that should never be on two wheels, and probably 4.  They were that aweful and uncoordinated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top