Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2003 4:28:54 PM EDT
So I have a cousin, good kid and everything will his soccer mom says he is ADD. (yeah he is a little hyper but no need to get him on a ton of pills IMHO)

so anyways he has been staying with me and during the winter break he doesn't take the pills cause he doesn't eat that much with them or some other BS.

anyways last night he came to work with me and today I woke him up at 8:00 and we did some weights and pushups along with running 2 miles.

I have basically been keeping him busy, guess what he is very calm now. I guess playing play station all day just doesn't wear you out???
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
oh and i am not saying some kids don't need it but i think alot of kids can do without it.

by the way he is crashed out now a 6:00.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
reminds me of my mom and brother, he acts up once in a while and my mom wants to get him on some drugs. Cause all the other kids take it...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]
We are on the same page.[;)]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I would venture most kids don't need it.  The schools tried to say that one of my kids " needed it"  what he really needed was smarter teachers and more activity.  He was bored while they were busy teaching to the lowest common denominator and was done with the assignment before the teacher could finish with the dumb kids so he would entertain himself.  He additionally questioned everything until he had thorough understanding of the issue thinking out three or four alternate arguments or possible outcomes along the way.  For this they tried to label him with ADD.  This is how the lefties handle things.  We solved things.  We moved to a school district with a greater respect of individual achievement.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
WHAT??  You mean that exercise and a decent diet can do more good then pills??????

I HATE the drug co’s.  I firmly believe they would withhold a cure for cancer if they couldn’t make $$$ off of it. Soulless greedy bastards.
Diet and exercise is the answer to probably 60-80 of the ailments that the quack docs prescribe pills for.
But no one wants the 'right' (read:difficult) answer.
Taking lipitor??? Try cardio, less saturated fat in your diet and eat some damn fiber!

One month of water aerobics did more for my mom's diabetes then all the meds in the world. But they won't prescribe/ pay for a gym membership @ $40 a month. Pay for $400 woth of pills without batting an eye.
Doctors and the drug co's have a nasty incestous relationship that should be criminal.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that people are over medicated and in some cases the meds aren't needed at all, but the patient has something to do with this trend, they don't want to exercise, it's much easier to just take a pill.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]
So true.

Nowadays, boys just can’t be boys anymore. Kids have to spend much more time behind a desk than they did a generation ago and any expression of normal masculinity or aggression is given “zero tolerance.” Obviously, many kids have problems adjusting. The Left’s solution: mind altering drugs. They want to dope them up on pills all the time so they will all just sit quietly, take whatever is fed to them, and be model sheeple.

MANY, psychiatric “problems” can be abated just as effectively by exercise as with drugs. Not only “ADD” but depression as well. But people want instant and easy fixes for every problem, even if it means becoming locked into LEGAL psychoactive drug dependency.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a co-worker that was a ritalin kid.  When he first moved in the area with his wife, he was busy fixing up the house, doing yardwork, and setting up the garage (separate building from house) as a workshop/ guy time hangout.  When all the major work was finished and he became comfortable at work, he started working out at the local gym.  When his wife had their first kid, she wanted him around the house more, and that's when the drinking started.  He would be bouncing off the walls, and resorted to drinking and spending all his time with drinking buddies in his garage.  Then the coke usage kicked in, then he started sleeping around.  I found out from his wife's cousin this was a pattern and they moved close to her family in the middle of nowhere to escape his old habits.

The bottom line:  when he was busy, he was fine.  When things slowed down or had to cut back because of family obligations/ lack of funds, he resorted to drugs.  I work with others that have been diagnosed with ADD and didn't do drugs, and they tend to be very creative and self motivational, and are more likely to be self employed or very autonomous.  I can understand how a parent would be concerned when they hear their kid has a learning problem, but I would rather see alternatives first than putting the kid on drugs right away.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't pin this on 'lefties'!!!
Drug co's are businesses- operating often times with the implict support of conservative law makers.

And plenty of 'righties'buy into the bullshit and dope their kids and themselves.
Ritalin/prozac/zoloft etc
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, you didn't hear anything about ADD when kids still had places to run and play! It's a sad fact most of society is getting lazier![:(]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

heck I was pretty good kid, but under current school rules what would have come of the few scuffles and fist fights I got in on school and on the bus? I probably would have been "re-programmed."
View Quote

isn't it funny how in school they try so hard to sensitive kids, (no fighting, call a adult)

seems like we made better men when they learned how to deal with bullies at a early age, rather than turning into pussies for the rest of their lives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top