Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2003 4:21:43 PM EDT
I picked up some cheap fiocchi .357, I am checking it out and its not like the normal .357 it come down to a blunt point. Is this stuff meant to penetrate glass or armor?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Did I read "armor piercing ammo"?!!

Sounds like a trip to the range is in order. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
No, it's not AP, it just looks that way. Some of their 9mm looks pointy too, but it's just lead. If it IS AP ammo, I'd say delete this post, and call the ATF!!!!! Well, maybe not.
Try using a magnet on the tip of the bullet. If theres a steel core, it'll attract it. Otherwise, fiocchi just looks odd.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't want a projectile with blunt point for defeating armor.  You want a sharp point that will "spread" the body armor's fibers aside, ie, letting the projectile slid through between the fibers.

That's what trauma plate is for.  The purpose of trauma plate is not necessarily to survive the impact, but to "blunt" or better yet, shatter the projectile.  Even if the projectile penetrated the trauma plate, once the projectile is blunted, the increased cross sectional area at the projectile's point would encounter more fibers, which will in turn stop the projectile inside the vest.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems like a weird design for defense I would think you want a nice wide point like a wadcutter,that way you cut a wide hole.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, Fiocchi is great stuff, and you can get their .455 Webley Mark II for only $37.50 a box[nuts]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Its also nice and hot!
They know what the word "Magnum" means!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've also noticed the pointed tip, but don't worry, the stuff shoots great.
I put 100 rds thru a 586 a couple days ago. The recoil loosened up the small screw that holds the rear sight to the backstrap. No wonder I wasn't hitting shit near the end of the session...

It is loaded hotter than standard .357 target loads. typical of Fiochi in all centerfire calibers I've shot so far.
Thier 45ACP is my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Fiocchi is by far the best day to day ammo.

Clean, hot, good price at the right places.

I've shot nothing but fiocchi out of my .357 and the reason for the pointy nose is because your probably shooting the 125 grain bullet.
There's not too much lead to make a round point with.

Look at the higher grain ammo in .357mag or .38sp, it's rounded.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#10]
One of my favorite ammo companies. They don't screw around like some of the others. The 123gr. 9mm is loaded hot, the .45ACP is a great buy -- it's all good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Fiocchi is great ammo, hot and accurate. Their 9mm ammo has been very impressive at the range.

If you miss the badguy with the shot, don't worry, the fireball will catch his clothes on fire.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is loaded hotter than standard .357 target loads. typical of Fiochi in all centerfire calibers I've shot so far.
Thier 45ACP is my favorite.
View Quote
They say that european ammo is typically loaded hotter than domestic US ammo.  Of course, I'm assuming that fiocchi is european, as I can't pronounce it (I'm also assuming the rumor is correct)
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]
IIRC Winchester used to make a 158g "metal piercing" round. I used to have some and they were pointed bullets. They looked pretty mean if I remember. I'll have to look in my cartridge collection and see if I still have one. Seems to me they were in the old red and white box.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fiocchi is great ammo, hot and accurate. Their 9mm ammo has been very impressive at the range.

If you miss the badguy with the shot, don't worry, the fireball will catch his clothes on fire.
View Quote

That is no joke... I shot some 9mm FMJHP (no thats not a typo) rounds into a stack of wet phone books. They expanded a little but mostly the front part of the bullet just fragmented off and the copper jacket folded back. I had hoped they would fair better, because the unfired HP looked like Winchester Ranger does with the jacket extending back into the HP. The Ranger expanded to 3/4" in the same phone books.

Anyway, big ...no.... HUGE orange flash on an overcast evening, probably 8-10 inches diameter. Ranger 127gr +P+ was a small orange flash maybe the size of a golf ball. I carry the Rangers.

Of all the 9mm I've shot, this stuff had the worst flash. But, it is good ammo, and is pretty hot. I used to carry the FMJ in a P-32 .32ACP because it was the hottest I could find ... sold that gun to a friends sister who was getting her permit.

I also like the GECO 9mm 124 FMJ... most accurate FMJ in my XD-9 Sub
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Blunt? As in a flat lead tip with the rest jacketed?

That would be target ammo, not AP ammo... AP = steel, DU, (or similar) core...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top