Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2003 2:24:36 PM EDT
Old news I know, but does anyone really trust armed "Police" from some islamic country flying into this country???? Three possible outcomes:

1. Nothing happens, armed "Police" stop a hi-jacking.

2. The armed "Police" turn out to be terroist themselves, take over a plane and nose dive it into the Super Bowl.

3. Muscle head, trained and hardened, empty hand combat expert, terroist board the plane, knowing that there IS at least ONE firearm already on the plane, and take over the flight. Lets see, Times Square, New Years Eve.

I think it makes more sense for the flight crew to be armed and locked in there cabin. I know the piolt could be a terroist also but what are we to do???????
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
2. will not happen because of the security clearences they have to go through. even if a badge was stolen the wereabouts of the undercover is problably known at all times.

but then again anything can happen with terroist.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt 3 would happen either.  I've never seen a muscle head, martial arts expert terrorist... or heard of one atleast.  It seems to most suicidal terrorists are poor muslims with nothing to lose but everything to gain (a reward for their surviving parents/family).  It seems like the most "serious" training they have received is how to steer a plane into a building (no small task)... otherwise mostly "shock" type tactics.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#3]
But then again... never say "never"
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems a reasonable approach.  If the government can't put adequate security on, then they aren't adequately screening anyway.  And if a government wants to do something like this in peacetime there isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent it.

Unless you think only US citizens should be armed guards and pilots on all flights originating/terminating in the US.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing’s perfect.  

My biggest concern by far would be if the pilot is the terrorist.

After all, the pilot's in control of the plane to begin with and has control of the radio.   Plus (within limits) he could probably sidestep FAA controls long enough to successfully make an attack.

Quite frankly, Regan National A/P here in Virginia is so close to the White House and Capitol Building that, despite the fact that all their flights must have Air Marshals on board, I have no doubt a pilot could put his aircraft into one of those buildings before the Air Marshals could stop him.

OTOH, an on board terrorist who isn’t the pilot, even if he’s armed, would still have to fight the pilot to get control of the plane.  Very possibly he would also have to fight the passengers.  And all this, even if successful, would take time.

Also, nowadays any hijacking-type distress calls emanating from an aircraft would attract the immediate attention of F-16’s with sidewinders!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top