[#1]
Kittys can be really tough.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Who else was rooting for the lion?

That was AMAZING!  I bet they wished they had semi autos and open sights or a dot sight when that bad boy charged, huh?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Should have used a .338 magnum for that kitty![;D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#5]
[neo] WHOAH! [/neo]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Those guys need some practice and some clean underwear.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I think that the first shot by the "client" was not such a good idea.

Also he is using tooo much scope for dangerous game.  There is no way in hell he would be able to find his target when it started to charge him.

The guide seems to have the right idea with open sights...

Me?  

I would have prefered a nice M2!!

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Capstick said a lion could cover 100 yards in 4 seconds.

I bet it was laundry day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who else was rooting for the lion?
View Quote

I was, as soon as the video started rolling.

I'm not too much of a fan of trophy hunting.

I bet they wished they had semi autos and open sights or a dot sight when that bad boy charged, huh?
View Quote

Amen, brother! If I ever go out in lion country I'm carrying an M14 with an Aimpoint on it!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=11&t=220062&w=myTopicPop[/url]

Seems to be a few people, me included, that think this is a canned hunt, in a pen, with a lion that was raised in captivity, and de-clawed prior to the "hunt".
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't have felt bad if the lion had eviscerated the entire party.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#12]
That is great footage. I give lots of credit to the camerman/women for holding steady as well.

That may be great footage but IMHO it should have never happened. The second that lion stood up from its first shot it should have been hit again. I started talking to myself "hit him again, hit him again".

I am very disapointed that the PH was unable to put the cat down before it got that close. This is proof that the shooting req portion of the PH test is not a garuntee, only a guidline, and one needs to practice, practice, practice.

Standing your ground during a charge from a lion, cape buff or grizz is no small feat, so I give them due credit there.

Great vid,
CH
Edited to add: If this was a canned hunt, it is a different story.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Them boys need a few shootin lessons!

8 shots, at least.  The first looked like he gut shot him.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seems to be a few people, me included, that think this is a canned hunt, in a pen, with a lion that was raised in captivity, and de-clawed prior to the "hunt".
View Quote

The lion had all his claws and TEETH.

The hunter was a dentist from Houston.

He suffered some lacerations on his left shoulder/arm area.

I watched the video at a gunshow and talked to the guy who arranges these hunts.The guy for sure had cuts on him.Not bad, but the lion was about 2" from taking the guys head off with his jaws as you can see in the slo-mo.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That may be great footage but IMHO it should have never happened. The second that lion stood up from its first shot it should have been hit again. I started talking to myself "hit him again, hit him again".

View Quote

Well, bear in mind we had the camera's POV, not the hunter's.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I am also surprised they were able to control their fire when the lion separated them all and they were aiming their guns in the general direction of each other.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The hunter was a dentist from Houston.

View Quote

I've never seen this video before, but for some reason I thought the hunter was probably some American dentist. Is that a safari stereotype or something?  I just saw that guy and thought "rich dentist".
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#18]
45-70 lever guide gun with an aimpoint would have smoked the kitty right now, and yes, too much scope
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am also surprised they were able to control their fire when the lion separated them all and they were aiming their guns in the general direction of each other.
View Quote

you noticed that too, huh.  The guy on his back was very lucky he didn't get any teeth sunk into his neck when the lion jumped him.

Should have used a large cal. for that cat.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn! [SHOCK]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Poor cat.
Fucking dentists.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Read "The Maneaters of Tsavo."  It's the true book that the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" was based on.

Lions are baaaaaaad kitties!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool Video!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting video, but I'm not a fan of trophy hunting...

I was rooting for the lion... odds were against him...

Shawn
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, sloppy kill, took way too many shots.

A comedy of errors, were it not for the tortured creature at the center of it.

I hope they felt good about the prolonged agony they put the poor lion through.

A good hunter makes a clean painless kill.

These guys were ineffective yokels.

And the noble (non edible) beast paid the price.

But wait till you hear that dentist brag in his rec room some night...

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I found interesting that the lion could have chose to run away or attack. It's almost like he decided,"Well I'm going down anyway so I'm gonna take someone with me."

Then he knew exactly who shot him and that's who he went for.

Looking at the slow mo video it looked like the lion was thrown off balance by an injury or another gun shot or I think he would have got him.

I was cheering for the lion too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Where exactly was it gonna run?  Didn't you see the fence?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I call BS.  All those Bwana Makumbas and they couldn't take down Leo?  I was rooting for the lion.

-Not enough gun.

-Terrible choice of gunsights for CQB.  Aimpoint or a clone would have been better.  His rifle was optimized for >100m, NOT foul breath range!

-Bad guide work.  That cat should never have gotten to its feet.  The second they see it coming up...BLAM!

-They do have a bit of sight discipline.  In spite of several guides and hunters waving rifles around shooting like mad, nobody got shot!

-The dentist is a lucky dude.  That kitty damn near beheaded him.  In the slo-mo you can see Leo is already in a bad way and only running on adrenaline.

-The kill probably screwed up an entire pride structure.  As soon as a new male enters this male's former territory and assumes the role of Alpha male, he will kill all of the young cubs and run off all of the yearling males, probably resulting in their deaths as well.  Very soon after that, the females all come into season again and then he gets to pass his genes along.

And yes...I'd have been changing my skivs real soon.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#29]
That was pretty fucking cool!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
45-70 lever guide gun with an aimpoint would have smoked the kitty right now, and yes, too much scope
View Quote

Ahh yes there is always a "should have used a 45/70" Guy in every crowd. [;)]

I have read lots of debate of that topic and came up with this; If you want to trust "your" life to a 45/70 under those conditions, go for it.

The minimun caliber for DG in africa .375 and that is enough gun in the right hands. I however would rather have double in at least .470NE with good solid magnum mauser in .416 rig or .375 H&H as a back up.

CH
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where exactly was it gonna run?  Didn't you see the fence?
View Quote

No, I think I might see one of the posts after looking at it again.

So they backed the lion up against a fence huh?

Really cool. Mighty hunters![rolleyes]

Still pretty amazing that the lion went straight for the guy that shot him.

anyone remember that video awhile back where the lion takes out revenge on a pack of hyenas (same type of thing only the lion won that time)?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know if this is a real video of a free hunt.  Let's assume it is.

As you watch, notice the dust puffs behind the charging lion.  Some might think these are "misses".

I doubt it.

I've never shot a lion, but I've read a lot written by guys that have.

The comments from some that the .45-70 would be a good gun are in error.  Nothing less than a .375 magnum should be considered.

But even if these guys were using large caliber guns, they were [b]shooting completely through[/b] the lion.  Bigger isn't going to help unless you hit something vital.

On a charging lion, Capstick and others say that you [u]must[/u] hit the brain or spine or break a shoulder to stop a lion charge.  Just putting large caliber holes completely through him will not [b]stop[/b] him.

He will eventually "bleed out" and die, but in the mean time, he will rip you apart.  This lion was obviously badly hurt or he would have killed one or more of these guys.  As Capstick said, "A bite from a lion to the thorax pretty well settles it."

Cool heads, perfect shots, and enough gun are the ticket.  These guys didn't have all three.  As they found out, you can buy one of the three, but not the other two.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Wonder how that dentist liked those teeth.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice....5 guys with rifles, who  can't shoot worth a shit, taking pot shots at a beautiful male lion for no good reason. Looked like an exotic game ranch to me. Might have been the fences....which always makes for a real fair hunt.

That's fucked up. I can say with 100% certainty that anyone who thinks that's cool is a complete egotistical small dicked moron.

As for the video, it sucked. Wrong outcome. Should have ended with a feast of five human carcases for the lion.

To think an animal that nobel gets taken out by those ten gallon hat retards is sickening.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice canned hunt, can't stand that kind of "hunting"!  Very lucky, it looks like in the slow mo that the lion got hit at the second it went for the guy, you can see a blood spot appear as it passes him.  

I wish these turds would have gone Cape Buffalo hunting in the wild, an animal so tough and mean that lions stay clear.  Also have killed more hunters than all other game too.

Remind me if I go to Africa to hunt not to employ these "guides", a guide worth his salt would have downed him after fruitcake failed to anchor it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn straight, those fvckers...

Now, some overpaid whiney azzed dentist can gloat over the trophy in his den and make himself feel better for having such a small pecker. This is a proud moment for the top of the Food Chain. Oh, wait a minute, they didn't eat it did they? Bastards, I was rooting for the lion too.

I'm all for hunting, but that was a sloppy, needless and cowardly waste of a noble creature that showed more fight than all those yuppie saps combined.

Quoted:
Yeah, sloppy kill, took way too many shots.

A comedy of errors, were it not for the tortured creature at the center of it.

I hope they felt good about the prolonged agony they put the poor lion through.

A good hunter makes a clean painless kill.

These guys were ineffective yokels.

And the noble (non edible) beast paid the price.

But wait till you hear that dentist brag in his rec room some night...

[rolleyes]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
wish that lion ate that motherfer...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm glad to see someother people hear feel the way I do. Killing Uneatable or No other uses animal is BS. These people are just shit heads who think their a man cause they killed an animal. Big fuckin whoop! it's assholes like that that give hunters a bad name in the eyes of non-hunters, by Trophy hunting. They almost caused the extinction of the Whales, Elephants and Tigers, and for what? have the odds evened then come talk to me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#39]

[img]http://members.cox.net/_themacallan/RoyHornLion.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
by Trophy hunting. They almost caused the extinction of the Whales, Elephants and Tigers, .
View Quote

WOA!!

Just how many trophy WHALES have you seen??

What taxidermist do they take it too??

What sort of mount pose would be best?

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats one Biotch of a crossfire nightmare.
They were all pretty shook up, I'm surprised more shots weren't fired.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wish these turds would have gone Cape Buffalo hunting in the wild, an animal so tough and mean that lions stay clear.  Also have killed more hunters than all other game too.
View Quote

This is from [url]www.kimdutoit.com[/url]

The late, great professional hunter Peter Capstick described the Cape buffalo thus: "They look at you like you owe them money."

I can attest to that. This was taken on one of my photo safaris, and these were members of a herd of about sixty, at a distance of about 40 yards.

[img]http://64.62.198.16/dr/images/uploads/capebuff01.jpg[/img]

South African game law mandates .375 H&H Magnum as the minimum caliber for buff. This old bastard would probably need two shots to put him down. From a standing start, a buff can cover 40 yards in about five seconds -- and he will charge you if he's angry enough.

How quickly can you work a large-caliber bolt action and get your second shot off, with 1,600lbs of pissed-off horn, muscle and sinew racing towards you?

I never had enough guts to hunt the Cape buffalo.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd have laughed my ass off if the lion had got the guy. Fucking canned hunt. That's just pathetic. I feel sorry for the animals killed by sloppy hunters like that guy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#44]
WOA!!

Just how many trophy WHALES have you seen??

What taxidermist do they take it too??

What sort of mount pose would be best?

View Quote

Well it just makes my point that as well as trophy hunting even if an animal has uses like fur or whatever does'nt mean you should hunt them as per your own will without any ecological consequences to be thought of. IMHO only certain animal should be hunted and no others.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#45]
what would you do if you found out that your dentist was the guy in the video?

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't like trophy hunters much either, that's why I use a silenced 22lr behind the ear while the local deer are at the salt lick in my back yard.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#47]
That turns my stomach. I wish that lion would have fucking mauled one of those faggots.

That cat sure charged those asswipes did he not. Good for him, he died as a King!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I too don't agree with trophy hunting either. Lions, tigers, elephants, cheetahs, etc. are beautiful animals and there are too few of them left. I see no point in killing an animal only to stuff its head and mount it on your wall.

I noticed what looked like fences in the background and after that was hoping the lion would rip them all apart.

What a lame bunch of jackasses.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#49]
trophy hunters suck.
looks very much like a canned hunt, lets hope the dentist dies a slow death due to infection from the wounds the lion inflicted upon him.
i was wishing the King took that assholes head off.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#50]
You saw them giving each other high fives?? fucking pricks.

That lion tho...What a magnificent beast living up to his reputation.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top