Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2003 6:09:22 AM EDT
Is ther any advantage, structurally, to using picture hangers vs just putting some screws or nails in your wall to hang heavy pictures/mirrors?

The material in question is standard textured sheetrock.

Thank you, gentlemen/ladies,

Tate
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
While not being a picture hanger expert, my common sense tells me YES there is a difference.

I'd suspect that difference might be a cost savings, 'cus if ya hang it properly there will be less chance of having to replace the mirror or pic frame later, after it falls off the wall.

FWIW, on trophy mounts and heavy items I use stud-finder and make sure I'm into the stud, for added security, that whatever don't fall off the wall, (but then I live in Houston, where the gang-banger's car tunes go up to about a 4.0 in the Rickter scale, as they pass, shakin the whole house).

Mike  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The idea on standard picture hangers is that the nail is at an angle, and the hanger itself ditributes some of the load over its contact area with the wall. Granted, the area is very samll, but certainly larger than the nail hole, to be sure. If you were to use a bare nail, even on an angle, over time the hole would become oblong as the sheetrock is crushed.

For really heavy loads, I usually use some type of anchor with a screw, or attach directly to the studs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The advantage is to your heavy pictures/mirrors, and to your toes, head, and various other body parts when they fall. The screws/nails will come out. Fasteners designed for sheetrock will last and hold well.

NMSight
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an extensive collection of wall hangings, mostly wall plaques and over a dozen (quite expensive and HEAVY) Civil-War art prints, as such, I DO consider myself an expert at hanging them.

Hangers ARE designed to distribute the weight precisely as DB described. As such, the sheetrock does not degrade over time with the weight and vibrations.

Also, the hangers prevent the item from falling off the wall when brushed against or when a door slam causes the wall to vibrate.

Some things can be done with just a nail. Those need to be light and either indestructible or not of much value. Anything else, use hangers, and make sure the item is hung with the appropriate string/wire to hold the weight.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I do custom framing as a sidejob/hobby. I provide a hanger with every piece I send out. I have some that will support up to 60 lbs. On bigger things I use 2 about a foot or so apart. This gives more weight distribution plus keeps the picture from rocking and getting out of level. I have framed some very large and heavy mirrors and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#6]
If its that heavy, I use zipits or find a stud in the wall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top