Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2003 5:25:31 AM EDT
Now I  have sold a few cars over the years and it always went smoothly because I had them all paid off and title in hand. I am selling my F150 that isnt paid off yet...hence the bank still holds the title. How do I transfer the title if I dont have it in hand? All my other deals I just sign it and we are done. Just realized my little dillema and I have someone intereted in looking at it soon. Help!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Now I  have sold a few cars over the years and it always went smoothly because I had them all paid off and title in hand. I am selling my F150 that isnt paid off yet...hence the bank still holds the title. How do I transfer the title if I dont have it in hand? All my other deals I just sign it and we are done. Just realized my little dillema and I have someone intereted in looking at it soon. Help!
View Quote

Call your bank and see if they will handle the transaction for you. They should be able to take the money, pay off the lien and make the submission for the free title all in one transaction.  There might be a fee, but it should be minimal ($150). Your buyer should get the new title in a few weeks, but will feel good about the transaction because it was done with the bank.  Also, watch out for those sales taxes if you live in a state that requires them.

bd
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Lol the financing was done with Ford credit...I just called them and the recorded message said they were too busy to answer all the calls ...try back later or tomorrow. WHat kind of crap is that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You can have the bank give you what the payoff amount is for the loan. Take that number with you when you shop/trade & the dealer will figure on the amount you give them.

The dealer will also make you sign saying that the payoff amount YOU submitted by your bank is accurate & YOU personally will make up any amount over that.

Read everything before you sign it & whatever you want on your new truck, GET IT IN WRITING! I have seen & been screwed too many times because it wasn't written down.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Have the buyer have an official check for the payoff amount and the rest to you.  You should have the title which you can sign over.  The bank will release the lein once the payment is made.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing you would have to pay off the balance with Ford Credit and then it would take a few weeks (at least) to get the title in the mail.

How you handle this with a private sale would be up to you and the buyer. You could trade money and the truck but the buyer might have to wait a while for the title.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top