Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 8:12:27 PM EDT
in.rediff.com/news/2003/dec/28iraq.htm

Over 600 lawyers sign up to defend Saddam

December 28, 2003 16:16 IST

More than 600 lawyers have signed up to defend captive Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, the head of Jordan's Bar Association told the Jordan Times newspaper on Sunday.

Hussein Mjalli said the volunteers had signed up at the association's offices in Amman and that by late Friday 600 lawyers indicated their readiness to be part of a defence team for the former president of Iraq.

"The intention is to form a higher committee for the defence of Saddam, one which will include legal experts from all over the world," Mjalli said.

The general secretariat of the Arab Lawyers' Union was, meanwhile, due to meet on Sunday in Cairo to discuss plans for setting up the defence team, he added.

Earlier this month the Jordanian association sent letters to United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan and Arab League chief Amr Mussa urging them to ensure that Saddam would be handed to a neutral country or the International Committee of the Red Cross.

The barristers have argued that Saddam should not be put on trial because 'a head of state is immune from prosecution' and that in any case he should be protected from retribution by the United States.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#1]
[:O]protecting one of their own I see
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
im only suprised because its only 600. they would have gotten more than that here in the states i bet. not because they would sympathize with him, but for a small time defense attorny that would be the publicity stunt of a life time
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
[green][b]$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
[/b][/green]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Seeing as how the resistance still goes on, even now that we've got him, maybe we should have thrown the grenades into his hideout after all...would have saved us a lot of time and trouble.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Kill them all.  With gas.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
im only suprised because its only 600. they would have gotten more than that here in the states i bet. not because they would sympathize with him, but for a small time defense attorny that would be the publicity stunt of a life time
View Quote

I agree. If  could get admitted to a Bar but Tony's, I'd volenteer. Betcha I coud get him acquitted, too!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is Johnny Cochran When you need him anyway?

[b]OJ Simpson Free![/b]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I learned of this first thing this morning from one of my favorite Iraqi bloggers.  His words are worth repeating here:

[url]http://messopotamian.blogspot.com/[/url]

Hi Friends,

It was announced today that 600 Jordanian Lawyers have volunteered to defend Saddam Hussain. So it is SH that needs defending, the poor guy. These people know more than anybody else the crimes and atrocities and the damage, which this maniac has caused. They know that much better than any westerner. They know more than anybody else about the mass graves, the torture and mayhem. They know, and they don’t care. In fact they seem to sympathize with what has been done to the Iraqi people.

What can we say? Iraqis will not easily forget this. Sympathizers of the most notorious serial mass murderer of our people in history, we shall not forget. You are his partners in crime. We shall not forget. You will pay dearly, be sure of that. You send your murderers to bomb our streets and school children and trying to deny us normal life. Watch out, retribution will come.

And some imbeciles talk to us about Pan Arabism and such like nonsense. Go have your head examined, simpletons.

Salaam

Alaa
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[url]http://in.rediff.com/news/2003/dec/28iraq.htm[/url]

Over 600 lawyers sign up to defend Saddam

December 28, 2003 16:16 IST

More than 600 lawyers have signed up to defend captive Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, the head of Jordan's Bar Association told the Jordan Times newspaper on Sunday.

Hussein Mjalli said the volunteers had signed up at the association's offices in Amman and that by late Friday 600 lawyers indicated their readiness to be part of a defence team for the former president of Iraq.

"The intention is to form a higher committee for the defence of Saddam, one which will include legal experts from all over the world," Mjalli said.

The general secretariat of the Arab Lawyers' Union was, meanwhile, due to meet on Sunday in Cairo to discuss plans for setting up the defence team, he added.

[red]Earlier this month the Jordanian association sent letters to United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan and Arab League chief Amr Mussa urging them to ensure that Saddam would be handed to a neutral country or the International Committee of the Red Cross.[/red]

The barristers have argued that Saddam should not be put on trial because 'a head of state is immune from prosecution' and that in any case he should be protected from retribution by the United States.
View Quote

[ROFL2] Might as well copy the Democraps and the Martians while they are at it!  [ROFL2]

CW
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Notice how the Iraqi writer knows exactly where the terrorists are coming from???

Capturing Saddam may not have stopped the attacks, but I'd think it went a LONG way toward our image with the Iraqis... As for the attacks, they're being launched by foreigners and the only Iraqis who AREN'T happy we caught Saddam: people who were part of his rule, and don't want us to catch them too...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Any chance we could get all 600 in the same place at the same time ?

[}:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:46:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

And open up a can of good 'ole "canned American sunshine"on 'em in the 5-6 kiloton range.Just a little one.No-one would notice....would they?600 lawyers with an express/nuclear ticket to hell.The world would have to be a better place.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:04:25 AM EDT
[#13]
The swine are bellying up to the feed trough.

No surprise there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

And open up a can of good 'ole "canned American sunshine"on 'em in the 5-6 kiloton range.Just a little one.No-one would notice....would they?600 lawyers with an express/nuclear ticket to hell.The world would have to be a better place.
View Quote

I would feel better if you added a couple of zeros to that number.[:D]

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#15]
The army should have put a grenade in that hole with him. This would not be happening.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Their biggest mistake was not calling me when they found him.  I'd have contracted a cement truck to be onsite within hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top