Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 7:07:02 PM EDT
My VCR/DVD combo just started eating tapes. I'm probably doomed to scrap it or get it fixed, but before I do, does anyone have an idea why it might do this?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Won't be worth the price of fixing.  Take it apart yourself and see what's up. Could be a broken drive belt or the felt pad off the brake shoe or band has worn or slipped out of place.  Other than that go buy a new unit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Junk it.

I [s]SPENT[/s] wasted over $100 fixing a VCR once - it crapped out about 6 months & 6 tapes later.

They are disposable.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
scrap it!

you can get a VCR for $50.00
or a VCR-DVD or VCR/TV combo for 100.00
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything that is a combo is just a way for the maufacturer to have you buy two things in one. It gives a X2 advantage that one of them will shit itself and you will have to buy another one (or two) to replace them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I worked with vcr's for along time. Usually when they start eating tapes it's one of two things. It is either out of alignment or dirty. Since it's so expensive to have one repaired or even looked at you should probably open it up and see if anything is standing out. Try cleaning the heads and any moving parts if they seem dirty. You have nothing to lose by giving it a shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top