Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 3:58:21 PM EDT
Just saw on Fox that the FCC ok'ed the use of the F-bomb on TV.  Just can't be in a sexual way.  Thoughts?  

Good for the South Park guys and Ozzy, I guess.

edited: tried to find the story on the net... no dice.  This used to be an overstated urban ledgend, stemming from the FCC giving the OK to Bono's use of the word at the music awards. According to Fox, now it is acceptable in regular TV programs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
There isnt many of the "so-called" 7 words left anymore that you cant say on tv and radio
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I disagree with that decision, even though I use the word myself. Without trying to sound like a hypocrite, I think that having it on TV might be bad because mindless children (see: [b]all[/b] children) might mistake it as OK to say as every second wword in their vocabulary, however when I choose to use it, I tend to reserve it for situations where it is appropiate. I do not think children can distinguish the two.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Eric The(SheNeverWillStopSlappingYou)Hun

My mother would have stopped long enough to grab the bar of soap, Lava, that is. Not the Irish Spring or whatever that smelled like it might not taste to bad.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.lewed.net/flash/word.swf[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.lewed.net/flash/word.swf[/url]
View Quote

That was awesome.

edited: don't tell my mom I said that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I couldn't believe it when I heard it on FOX news...  I think it's insane.  Kids will be able to hear the word [b]FUCK[/b] on TV but can't hear the word GOD in the pledge of allegience.

It makes me wonder.....
What the FUCK is this country coming to?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The FCC ruled that the word "Fuck" can be used but cannot be used in a fashion describing a sexual act or obscene act.  The FCC can only ban words that are "Obscene" as per the Supreme Courts obscenity ruling.

The word "Fuck" has become a part of normal everday speech, the FCC knows that the Bono case had it gone into the courts would be a lost cause.

I don't even see this as a big deal maybe I can watch a movie that isn't butchered!  I was watching Caddyshack and High Plains Drifter last night, both were hacked to hell.  High Plains Drifter was on late last night too, hacked, I get extremely pissed when damn CLASSIC movies get hacked!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
[Cartman]They have warped my fragile little mind![/Cartman]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The FCC ruled that the word "Fuck" can be used but cannot be used in a fashion describing a sexual act or obscene act.  The FCC can only ban words that are "Obscene" as per the Supreme Courts obscenity ruling.

The word "Fuck" has become a part of normal everday speech, the FCC knows that the Bono case had it gone into the courts would be a lost cause.

I don't even see this as a big deal maybe I can watch a movie that isn't butchered!  I was watching Caddyshack and High Plains Drifter last night, both were hacked to hell.  High Plains Drifter was on late last night too, hacked, I get extremely pissed when damn CLASSIC movies get hacked!
View Quote

I fimd it pretty humorous to find movies edited for TV with lots of "Holy shoot!!" "Forget you!" etc.. haha.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I fimd it pretty humorous to find movies edited for TV with lots of "Holy shoot!!" "Forget you!" etc.. haha.
View Quote

Yeah. I just caught a bit of Girl, Interrupted on TV and saw Wynona Ryder screaming at Angelina Jolie to "Shut your face up!"

And who the fuck is Bono?

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
So what can't I saw when I get my own TV show?  cunt?  twat?  cock?

btw bono is the "socially aware" (read as full of hot air) lead singer of U2.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#14]
[party][bounce][party] Maybe next they'll start letting boobies show on tv like over in Europe [party][bounce][party]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Was watching Die Hard on Fox, heard Bruce Willis say "Turn the fuck around!".  Maybe he said "Turn the TRUCK around!" (was yelling at some fire trucks he called by pulling a fire alarm) but I doubt it. I definitely heard "fuck" and thought, "Wait, this is network tv."
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Screw the language editing, how about they stop butchering all violence, I swear it pisses me off to no end when they cut out entire scenes because some guy got standard bullet hits on film.  I don't get it either, they edit the crap out of a movie on Fox, then on the X-Files they had full unedited, yet made for TV gunshots and other gore, I mean WTF???  If I'm watching a heavy action, "action movie" maybe I want to see violence?  QUIT HACKING MOVIES TO PIECES DAMNIT!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:14:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Hearing a word that is in general use in the English language,everywhere in the world,on TV, will of course eliminate all of my morals.Gee!If it's on TV it must be real! I'd better sell my eviel black assault rifles before I fly off the tracks and go nuts from hearing fuck on TV.At least on TV,unlike the real world,you can"tune it out."  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#18]
About time. I don't think it's going to be in the Disney Afternoon for all the kids obviously. If one is worried about kids hearing "fuck" on TV, here is a novel idea, don't let them watch those shows! Or even better, let them know what bad words are and how excessive use of those words makes one sound stupid and ugly.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, when y'all get to Sodom and Gomorrah, just tell them I jumped off way back when.
View Quote

Sorry to burst your bubble, brother, but we sank past Sodom and Gomorrah a long time ago.

God is going to owe them both an apology if we don't get our act together as a nation ASAP and return to Him...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I posted in the other thread too, but I'll repeat myself.

They aren't going to start working "fuck" into the Barney show.  Big bird is not going to tell Oscar the grouch to "fuck off".  Mr. Rodgers (besides being dead) isn't going to start singing "it's a beautiful fucking day in the neighborhood".

If your child is watching the type of program where the word "fuck" might appear, then both you and your child are a lost cause.

I can't believe that people on a firearms website are crying that the .gov is letting them be responsible for the raising of their own children.  Talk about focusing on a pointless issue... There are far bigger fish to fry, and reasons this country is going in the toilet, than saying "fuck" during a show that airs at 11PM on a weeknight.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They aren't going to start working "fuck" into the Barney show.  Big bird is not going to tell Oscar the grouch to "fuck off".  Mr. Rodgers (besides being dead) isn't going to start singing "it's a beautiful fucking day in the Neighborhood".
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't believe that people on a firearms website are crying that the .gov is letting them be responsible for the raising of their own children.  Talk about focusing on a pointless issue... There are far bigger fish to fry, and reasons this country is going in the toilet, than saying "fuck" during a show that airs at 11PM on a weeknight.
View Quote

Well put norman.  How long have people on here been bitching that the government isn't supposed to be the nanny to the children of this country??  That the people's right to choose is a basic right that the .gov has tried to restrict??  That we don't need the .gov in our living/bed/whatever-room??  Now we're gonna bitch because they are stepping back and (Heaven forbid) make parents responsible??  Quick, get the guns loaded, the end cometh.  Sorry for the rant, but if you don't like it, you could have stopped reading it and not been offended.  If you are still reading this, and are offended, too fucking bad.  You had the choice.  Live with the consequences.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#23]
[b]the FCC ok'ed the use of the F-bomb on TV[/b]

I don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#24]
For years I've heard the F-bomb on the radio.

The Who song "Who are you?"
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For years I've heard the F-bomb on the radio.

The Who song "Who are you?"
View Quote

Guns N Roses, "Mr. Brownstone"
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#26]
it is just a word. what is wrong with children saying it? my brother in law(12 years old) says it all the time. he is a normal kid and it is no big deal in their family. IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT A BIG DEAL, THEN IT WONT BE ONE. who here can say that, as a child playing with friends, you din't say it. or didn't say any other "dirty" word. i said it when i was younger, all my friends said it. everybody i know has said it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#27]
potty mouth
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#28]
First Amendment. Good, I'm glad they will now be saying fuck on tv.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
First Amendment. Good, I'm glad they will now be saying fuck on tv.
View Quote

Me too. First Amendment is very, very important.

Of course, we can't run political ads during a campaign....

Geez, the devil runs amok across our great land... [:(]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top