Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2003 3:01:56 PM EDT
just had a decent fight with my brother in law over how stupid he is..............

was over gov't car crash test rating system

follow me here,.........it seems that the more "stars" a vehicle gets, the shittier it actually holds up in a wreck

example:  he drives a honda civic, i drive a crew cab 4x4 2500hd chevy..........so i relay my thoughts to him on crash test ratings and he starts arguing with me...........i end up asking him which he would rather be in in a head on collsion between the two, my truck or his car, he picks his car i tell him he's a dead man.  (insert argument here)

so whaddya think?  gov't crash test ratings are done against immovable objects, thus smaller, lighter weight cars that have tend to bend easily win out and the big motherfuckers that are stout tend to lose out................but, when put face to face physics take over and the big motherfucker whips the ass of mr. lightweight wrinkle zone car

commence argument now
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather be in the truck.

And oh, BTW, your brother in law is an idiot.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
And oh, BTW, your brother in law is an idiot.
View Quote

preaching to the choir, preaching to the choir
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you believe you are BOTH right?
In the frontal crash rating, vehicles are classified by the estimated chance of a life threatening head and/or chest injury for the driver or front seat passenger.

Frontal crash results should only be compared against other vehicles in the same weight class. If a light vehicle collides head-on with a heavier vehicle at 35mph, the occupants in the lighter vehicle could experience a greater chance of injury than the results of this test indicate.

In the side crash rating, vehicles are classified by the estimated chance of a life threatening chest injury for the driver and the rear seat passenger. Head injury is not measured in the side crashes.

Since all tested vehicles are impacted by the same size barrier, it is possible to compare vehicles from different weight classes when looking at side crash ratings.

Drivers and passengers in both the frontal and side crash rating receive a one to five star rating, with five stars indicating the best protection.
View Quote
Compare two Civic size cars, or two trucks.  The smaller one will lose every time, otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, let's see, I got rear ended in my Boss' 1 ton pickup (chevy)  not a scratch on it, dmaged the hell out of th eford 1/2 ton that hit me....   I fI had been driving my POS car I would be dead, sooooo

Tomorrow I go truck shopping [:D]

Your brother in law is a retard BTW
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Compare two Civic size cars, or two trucks. The smaller one will lose every time, otherwise.
View Quote

ah ha!!!!  this is my point..........my truck is a little bitch compared to a T800 KW or the like, but to a "safe" honda civic i have very damn little to fear.

P.S. im sure the kenworth would get very shitty gov't crash test ratings if they did it with them........
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
oh, come on!!!!!!!!!  i KNOW theres somebody out there thats gonna tell me how much better the honda would fare.................
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I drive a Civic, and the Civic would lose.  But, after 12 years on the road my Civic gets (according to my measurements driving to the Cape last Summer) 46 MPG.

It's rated for 40 MPG new.  There's another way to win (unless that truck hits you).
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
my truck gets about 9.5mpg on average but thats a whole nother thread...............
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, if you compare the same general make of vehicle, i would think that the higher rated gov't test car would be more smooshed.   That is the whole idea, right?   Smash up the car more, so you don't?   I think it is the idea of decelerating from 60 - Zero in 4 seconds vs decelerating from 60- Zero in 2 seconds.   Which would you rather do?

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
As was posted before, a quick investigation would have lead you to conclude the crash ratings are only comparable to cars in the same weight class.  

That said, a well built car can be safer than a poorly built truck (i.e. the car's passenger cage stays intact and crumple zones work correctly, and the truck comes apart and you get speared by busted metal).  If you have a Big Bad Burly Man's Truck with a bad crash rating (but hey, it weighs a lot right, and you *only* plan on running into Civics, right?) and you happen to find yourself running into something solid, you're fucked.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
follow me here,.........it seems that the more "stars" a vehicle gets, the shittier it actually holds up in a wreck
View Quote

No it's the opposite.  And after re-reading your post, I think you and your brother are both idiots [:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#14]
No...

It's the 'In it's class' deal again...

Cars are compared to SIMILAR CARS, not to the whole fleet...

So '4 stars' for a Civic means it's more crash-safe than a Yugo... However, like the Avalon (1 up from the Camry) that wedged itself under my first Firebird's tail (he RE'd me, I actually drove off his hood so the FD could access it), if you hit something you will still squash like a soda can...

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No it's the opposite.  And after re-reading your post, I think you and your brother are both idiots [:D]
View Quote
I think you are an idiot [;D]
Tx is actually right.  The rating is not for how well the car holds up in a crash, but rather how well the occupants are protected.  The car protects the occupants by absorbing the energy of the crash.  It absorbs the energy of the crash by disintegrating.
So the car that reduced itself to component molecules in a crash, and the occupants walked away from, gets the higher rating.  The one that is so solidly built that it can run into a brick wall at 60 mph and not have a dent in the bumper will fail, because the occupants absorbed all the energy and were reduced to their component molecules.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Id like to see how a new car or even a big truck/suv would hold up against a 70s lincoln or something like a mid 70s cordoba.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tx is actually right.  The rating is not for how well the car holds up in a crash, but rather how well the occupants are protected.  The car protects the occupants by absorbing the energy of the crash.  It absorbs the energy of the crash by disintegrating.
So the car that reduced itself to component molecules in a crash, and the occupants walked away from, gets the higher rating.  The one that is so solidly built that it can run into a brick wall at 60 mph and not have a dent in the bumper will fail, because the occupants absorbed all the energy and were reduced to their component molecules.
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo.
View Quote

Bingo?

Did they do away with...

[b]Ding, Ding, Ding, We have a winner!!![/b]

[;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top