Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2003 11:12:10 AM EDT
Just finished cleaning my M1 Garand, its just past halftime during the KC Chiefs game.  I swear, cleaning that gun is almost as cool as shooting it.  Taking it apart and doing the cleaning ritual, I can't help but stand in awe of its craftsmanship.  Just looking at the fire control group assembly and how beautifully machined it is, how fine and yet how robust.  Same with the iron sights--are the iron sights produced on military rifles developed after the Garand really an improvement or not?  I have nothing against the A2 style sights of the AR series, but the Garand's sights scream OLD WORLD CRAFTSMANSHIP to me.  Compare them to the A1 type sights, or even worse, the sights on a CETME or G3, or the Kalasnikov.  Did the designers of those guns even care about real-world accuracy?  The Garand is like an old mechanical typewriter, sure a word processor is faster but I can still get lost in the intricate, careful workings of the older machine.

The other gun that gives me a similar feeling every time I take it down is my FAL.  Just looking at how elegantly the bolt is machined, how robust the receiver is, and on and on, makes me fall in love with that gun again every time I have it apart.  A stamped receiver AK is reliable and cool in its own way, but the FAL has grace as well as functionality.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#1]
[>(]

I want a Garand SO bad.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The Garand has ALWAYS been like that for me too.M1A is the same for me also.I couldn't say it any better than you did Duke.I just concour with your sentiments.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree 100%

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20471[/img]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess gun cleaning has been part of the experience since it comes with the territory. The smell of the Hoppy's is "intoxicating?" To me personally its another drudgery.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Lets get some large, detailed pics, then!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The take-down procedure is really impressive on a Garand.  The ease with which it can be done, yet the fact that it doesn't fall apart during use is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The Garand is just beautiful in all ways.

When I hold one, I feel like Im holding.....freedom.

I'll be ok in a minute, sniff sniff
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I could not agree more...

I would feel much better going into battle with a Garand w/ Bayonet than with a M-16 w/ bayonet if it came down to it. When I was in the military I could mount a Bayonet to my M-16 and it was all loose and sloppy (kinda like LT's women [:D]) I can do the same with my Garand, O3A3, K-31, Mosin Nagant's, ans they are all Rock solid!

The quality of today is just not there any longer, but hey, Who cares right?...It is not like we will ever be able to buy a Military M-16 through the CMP in 20 more years...and If we could, The crap they make today, would more than likely not be anygood anyway. [:(]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lets get some large, detailed pics, then!
View Quote

Well, this one is kind of embarrassing, but you have to understand that I'd watched two episodes of Band of Brothers that day and had a new digicam and tripod to play with, so I was goofing off.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17117[/img]

Unfortunately you can't see the pineapple grenade that sailed by the camera right before this photo was taken. j/k

Some quick information about my rifle--serial number on the Springfield receiver traces to a build date of July '43.  Still has the original barrel, but a couple of the internal parts have been replaced and it has a Springfield "national match" op-rod.  The whole thing was reparkerized and the beech stock was redone in linseed oil by Mousegun87.  You should have seen the stock before he redid it, I was planning on throwing it away and buying a Boyd's stock, but he saved it.  I should take some better pics.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://www.gungirls.com/preview/images/gggarand09.jpg[/img]

Not mine...but it is nice!

I am still working on mine!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it just me, or does [b]-Duke-Nukem-[/b] look like some kid from a 60s TV show?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Even the wife, who thought the M1 ungainly, changed her tune upon letting 8 go.
The smile, followed by "I want one" tells it all.
I won't let her near my M1-A...liking a gun is one thing, orgasms are another. [:o]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is it just me, or does [b]-Duke-Nukem-[/b] look like some kid from a 60s TV show?
View Quote

Yeah, I know.  I'm white, I have straight teeth, and I keep my hair clean.  Blame my parents.  

Here are some closeup pics I just took with the rifle sitting on my rest.  Gee whiz Wally, these new digicams are a real gas!

Receiver, and the side of the stock with what MAC-DADDY calls "those wild yellow stripes":

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20977[/img]

You can see how rough the upper stock still is underneath all the linseed oil, but its smooth to the touch.

The fire control group, held up next to the business end.  The barrel was recrowned a couple of years ago and now shoots very very accurately with handloads.  Even with crappy Korean surplus I shot a baseball-sized group a couple of days ago from the sitting position.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20978[/img]

The aforementioned rear iron sights--you can also see how smooth and beautiful the stock is now.  Thanks again to Mousegun87!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20979[/img]

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Check this site out[url]http://www.dav32.com/action.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn! That's just beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry Duke, nice rifle![:D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#17]
well Duke now your going make me go clean my M1. Dang you. nothing beats a Garand, the only problem is i dont do mine justice. people that shoot as bad as i do should sitck with the ak. im lucky they dont assign guns due to skill. i would be stuck with ak and highpoints. Ronald
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#18]
nice beech stock on that M1, duke.

my favorite m1 right now is my 5-digit SA

[img]http://users.ntplx.net/~cduarte/m1lw3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
im lucky they dont assign guns due to skill. i would be stuck with ak and highpoints.
View Quote

Me too! [BD]

I get the same feeling when I disassemble my 1911. Glocks might be easier to field strip - but I get much more enjoyment taking down a 1911.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn Duke that thing sure is sweet!!!

Now if I could only get someone to sign off on me for CMP, then I would get one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn, now I have to go download that paperwork for the CMP program and finally order one.  Gee thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, can I borrow the Jerkins? [BD]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Damn Duke that thing sure is sweet!!!

Now if I could only get someone to sign off on me for CMP, then I would get one.
View Quote

This one started out as a $450 CMP rifle.  Goes to show what a little TLC will do for one of these things.  

Go Chiefs!

P.S. I shot it on Friday under the best of circumstances, with my fiancee's two younger brothers, the younger of whom is a sophomore in high school and is seriously considering joining the Army.  He's a really good kid.  I explained the history of the rifle to them, when it was built, etc etc.  Before he fired the rifle I handed it to him and said "Ok, its 1944.  You are going to hit the beach at Normandy.  You have two ways of going home again--either you fight for another year until the war is over, or fight until you get hit and you go home in a bag.  You will carry this EVERY DAY and kill EVERY German you see until one of those things happens."

I think I made an impression to him on the history of the gun and what it means to be in the service.

P.P.S.  Dude, here I am all trying to be serious and you bring the Jerkins into it.  Whatcha gotta go doin' that for?  [slap]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Taking it apart and doing the cleaning ritual, I can't help but stand in awe of its craftsmanship.  Just looking at the fire control group assembly and how beautifully machined it is, how fine and yet how robust.  
View Quote

Duke, I read this and couldn't help but see Private Pyle from "Full Metal Jacket" as he fondled his M-14 and talked to himself.

Sorry. [:D]

I love my Garand.  Mine is as clean as a brand new one.  I got it from the DCM back when they would ship one to your door for $165.

Best $165 I ever spent.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#25]
[b]Quoted:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17117[/img]
[/b]

Did somebody just tickle you at the base of your tail?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I couldn't agree more.

MY two favorites are my Mauser c96 pistol - that thing is a piece of mechanical beauty and ingenuity inside, and the Browning M2 .50 cal.  The workings of that machine are just amazing!

Don't see that kind of work anymore [:(]

Kar98 - you are the funniest guy on ar15.com.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Duke & Cduarte...very nice rifles indeed!

Many years ago, when I was serving in the Navy, I was a designated and card-carrying RO.  As such, I had to take some of the crew to "qualify" once a quarter with the M-16 and 1911.  One time, I decided to have some fun and took along my M1.

After the [s]goat-rope[/s] qualification match was concluded, I broke out the 30.06 cannon, dropped to the prone position and proceeded to center-punch a target at 100m with a few clips.

Them boyz were certainly impressed.  Many had never even seen a Garand, much less seen one fire.  I even let a couple cap off a few shots.  It was fun.  [:D]

M1 Garand:  Still the finest battle rifle ever made.  (Truth is though...in a SHTF situation...I'm grabbing something else...like my commie gun, AR or M1A.)
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I know this pic has been seen before, but one more time...

My NIB Springfield and my late WWII era springfield......

[img]http://fototime.com/D5AA4018944A478/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#29]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/079915.jpg[/img]
CMP Springfield 44 at the top, H+R 53, on the bottom. Best deals going now are these fine pieces from the CMP. Get one before they run totally out in late 2007!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's to Garands, M14s, and FALs!

[beer]

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#31]
OOhhh ... my baby!!  This one used to be part of my M1 collection.  When I got it, it was in a bad shape.  Worn internals, worn oprod, messed up woods, less than 25% metal finish left.  It took me months and lots of TLC to restore this one to the condition shown in Duke-Nukem's pics.  I knew Duke-Nukem will keep her clean and happy.  We have an agreement that we will keep the M1 "in the family" ... if he does not want it anymore, I will be first in line to buy it back from him.  If it does not come back to me, it will be sold to a good friend of ours that we both trust and agree on.  Basically we just want to make sure that this "Rifle of freedom" goes to a good home, the home where she will be appreciated, studied, cared for, fed with proper ammo, and be treated more as a historical piece that had helped keeping this nation free rather than as an "investment" with $$ tag attached.  I think Duke-Nukem will keep this M1 in his collection so he can pass it along to his kids.  I know that's what I plan to do with my M1s.  If I go broke and need to raise some cash, I would sell my AR first before even thinking about selling my M1.

Oh, Duke, this one is not a Danish return.  If you see some Italian parts in the rifle, I put them there to replace the worn out US parts.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Mousegun, is the beech stock from the US or from somewhere else then?  I thought it was the original stock but now I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, its not getting sold.  I need it for far ambush when TSHTF!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I took my old 1906 Swedish M96 rifle apart and cleaned the whole thing, marveling at the craftsmanship of each piece.
Only one part, the buttplate, was non-matching #'s.
The furniture had initials stamped inside, either of the men that assembled those parts or the whole rifle.
Amazing.
I stupidly traded that rifle off.
Still, I was in awe of the way it was made and all the fine details of the numbers and little Swedish crown/cartouches on each piece of the gun.

Even my old L1A1 Klinton Sporter had some decent detail and nice machine work, castrated as it was with its butthole stock!

I'm really looking forward to getting the 2003 SEBR AR10 rifle.
It's going to be beatiful in its own right.
Good thread, Duke! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Dude, your closet is a mess, and your finger is on the trigger  [;)]

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mousegun, is the beech stock from the US or from somewhere else then?  I thought it was the original stock but now I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, its not getting sold.  I need it for far ambush when TSHTF!
View Quote

The beech stock is of Danish origin.  But I suspect the barreled receiver is not Danish return.  If it were, the barrel would likely be a VAR or Italian.  The Danish used this for 40 some years, and they used it a lot (just ask DK-Prof).  So it was likely that these Garands were rebarelled more than once while in service with Denmark.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Aviator
View Quote

My finger is off the trigger.  Put your other glasses on, the thick ones for reading.

And if you think my closet is a mess, you should see the rest of the house!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I think machined steel parts on guns is a sign of beauty! I like the WWII machining on surplus rifles and pistols with the tool marks
it looks like a fine piece of art to me [8D]

I like WWII era GI 1911A1 pistols with the tool
marks.

Lugers are also fine examples of fine machining
and fitting! the sound of the toggle when you pull it back and let it close sounds like a bank vault.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator
View Quote

My finger is off the trigger.  Put your other glasses on, the thick ones for reading.

And if you think my closet is a mess, you should see the rest of the house!
View Quote

He's right Aviator.  That ain't a finger, its'a Vienna Sausage.  But it sure looked like a finger to me too.

Dang I need a new 'puter TV/screen....

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#39]
The M-1 Garand, the M-14, the 1911 pistol were all the finest examples of this. The things are older than many of us, yet were so finely built and thought out that they can still hold their own, and overcome new-school designs.

Nothing beats a .30-06 and a .45. NOTHING.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top