Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2003 8:53:33 PM EDT
can a crossover cabel be used with a router?  Right now I am trying to add one more computer to the home network and the only thing laying around is a yellow crossover cable.  Will it damage the system or just not work?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It won't damage the system.
It won't work either.

Quoted:
can a crossover cabel be used with a router?  Right now I am trying to add one more computer to the home network and the only thing laying around is a yellow crossover cable.  Will it damage the system or just not work?

thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said...
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Many router/hubs have both std. connection and cross wired connections. Just depends upon which hole you plug it into.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends.  It won't damage the system.  It might or might not work, depending on how your network is set up.

If the router is designed to connect to a computer via a straight-through cable, and you're using a crossover to connect it to a hub, and the other computers are hooked to the hub, it will work.  But you'll have to make sure you have a gateway set up and internal IP addresses for the computers and all that.

I can walk you through it better with better information on your setup
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried adding another NIC to a computer and use the crossover to ICS to another then share the rest on the network? Dunno if that will work. NICs and switches are cheap these days. I got a 5 port palm sized switch for free. 29 retail, 2.00 off in-store rebate and a mail-in 27.00 rebate. And I got a NIC for free too. 8 retail, 2 in-store off and a 6.00 rebate. All from MicroCenter.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
or just wait till tomorrow and get another regular cable.  Some routers can recognize the difference between regular and crossover cables and adjust to work.  Shouldn't hurt anything to try.  If it does blame the first guy up there that said it would be OK not me.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top