Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2003 8:22:32 PM EDT
Just got their greatest hits CD... What ever happened to good ol' Rock-N-Roll?

I think the last of the old ones is Rush... even though they went a little techno, and Dream Theater while a GREAT band, where is the recognition?

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Flirtin' with disaster...  oh yeah.

Rush still makes great albums.  I got 'Rush in Rio' for Christmas.  It is a great live album.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Molly Hatchet, Lynard Skynard, 38 Special, all great southern rock bands.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Ah yes... Good ol' Molly Hatchet! Damn straight-up  grunge/slacker/goth/metrosexual-free no-frills rock & roll just like it's supposed to be! [^]

Hellacious album cover art too - who DIDN'T love Frazetta's work.

My favorite Hatchet album art:
[img]http://www.socratesradionetwork.com/images/hatchet1.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
best air brushed album covers ever
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
yea man me and the drummer from molly hatchet drank a case of southern comfort

we got sooo wasted!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ah yes... Good ol' Molly Hatchet! Damn straight-up  grunge/slacker/goth/metrosexual-free no-frills rock & roll just like it's supposed to be! [^]

Hellacious album cover art too - who DIDN'T love Frazetta's work.

My favorite Hatchet album art:
[url]http://www.socratesradionetwork.com/images/hatchet1.jpg[/url]

View Quote

THATS THE ONE I GOT!!!

What was weird is that they had two albums with the same cover... Only one was 9.99 and the other was 11.99.... Same name... I got the 11.99 one... had 6 extra songs on it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy crap, I have that. I also have "Flirtin' With Disaster," the following record. I bought them in 1978 or 1979.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Molly Hatchet is still doing shows. I see them about every year in Nashville opening for someone. I saw them a couple of years ago with 38 Special and it was a fantastic show. They do a lot of small clubs too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw them a couple of years ago. But it was a different vocalist. It was a brother of one of the other guys in the band. Still a decent show though.

Anyone know where the name came from??
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Anyone know where the name came from??
View Quote

MOLLY: a girl's name
HATCHET: a small axe.

Sorry, couldnt resist... good question... off to do a search. I'll get back to ya.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#12]
GOT IT!!

25 YEAR HISTORY OF MOLLY HATCHET

In the early 1970's a new form of music was emerging in the south. A mixture of blues, country, gospel and the English invasion of rock and roll that later was to be coined the phrase "Southern Rock." The music was filled with style and emotion and with bands in the forefront such as the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and a band from Jacksonville, Florida called Molly Hatchet. [blue]Named after a famous 17th century axe murderess hatchet molly who would behead her lovers with the hand tool Lizzy Borden made famous.
[/blue]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Molly Hatchet is still doing shows. I see them about every year in Nashville opening for someone. I saw them a couple of years ago with 38 Special and it was a fantastic show. They do a lot of small clubs too.
View Quote

The current band is a group with NO connection to the real thing! They actually have a lease on the name! I hear they sound DAMN good though!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Their self-titled debut album which included Danny Joe Brown, Dave Hlubeck, Duane Roland, Steve Holland, Banner Thoman and Bruce Crump

The New band is:
THE MOLLY HATCHET BAND

BOBBY INGRAM - LEAD GUITARS, SLIDE AND ACOUSTIC

PHIL McCORMACK - LEAD VOCALS, HARMONICA

JOHN GALVIN - KEYBOARDS AND DIGITAL SYNTH

RUSS MAXWELL - GUITAR

J. J. STRICKLAND - BASS

SHAWN BEAMER - DRUMS AND PERCUSSION

Looks like NONE of the originals are there... Damn.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes?

[img]http://www.dreamtheater.net/covers/train_of_thought.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Essentially, weren't they the high-rent version of Black Oak Arkansas?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I saw them a couple of years ago. But it was a different vocalist. It was a brother of one of the other guys in the band. Still a decent show though.
View Quote

Insert name "Lynyrd Skynyrd" here......
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Essentially, weren't they the high-rent version of Black Oak Arkansas?
View Quote

Eeeewww.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:08:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Dammit Tras!!! You just made me remember that I got the new Dream Theater CD for christmas and forgot to bring it home with me.    :-(

Oh well, time to head back over tomorrow. . .
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#20]
The "real" Molly Hatchet (what's left of them) is still touring also, under the name "Southern Rock Allstars". It's a combination of MH and Blackfoot. I know several of them personally!  Duane Roland has recently stepped in to replace Dave Hlubeck due to Dave's retirement, Jim Farrar (second Hatchet singer - from the Beatin the Odds album) is there, along with Jackson Spire (Blackfoot drummer) and Jay Jackson from the Rossington band. Was too bad about Hlubeck - he has some health issues. If you want to see Molley Hatchet, this is the band to check out.

[url=www.southernrock.com]Southern Rock Allstars[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Excellent choices in music, fellas.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:00:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I remember a couple years back they were doing a fundraiser for Danny Joe Brown here in Jacksonville.Seemed he needed some exspensive medical treatment.Diabetes I think.Friends of mine who know some of the original guys say Danny Joe had a bad rock problem so all his money is gone.I saw them 3 or 4 times and they always rocked.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Remember them? Heck, somewhere in storage I still have their first five albums...on 8 track. [:D]

Love the music and love those album covers. I really prefered Danny Joe Brown as lead vocalist, but don't mind the later albums either.

One of my all time favorite bands.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rock was killed off  by the rise of rap.The promoters saw dollar signs and now rock is viewed by the kids who have had rap shoved down their throats for ten years as being "old man music".
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I saw them in 1979 at UT-Martin.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Rock was killed off  by the rise of rap.The promoters saw dollar signs and now rock is viewed by the kids who have had rap shoved down their throats for ten years as being "old man music".
View Quote

Yep...$$$$$. But although my daughter likes (c)rap music one day we were in the car and she says to me "We need more bands like they had in the '70's." [shocked] We were listening to Bob Seger's greatest hits at the time. And yes, she stole it for a while. She does that with a bunch of my music.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Never fear guys! Southern Rock is still well liked in my high school. The gangsta sh*t(rap) is the main crap at my school, but there's still several of us that listen to some good ole rock-n-roll. Some other good bands I like to listen to are ZZ Top, Eagles, Boston, and Def Leopard.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#28]
When I was down at Ft Hood in the 1st Cav, 3 Corps stole the guy on the horse off their album to use as the mascot / logo. Looked cool as hell to drive by corps HQ and see a huge painting of that on the building wall.

"Flirtin with disaster"
"Gator Country"

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#29]
If I go over to my parent's house, I can tell ya right where my vinyl copy is....

Ahhh, the good old days of Molly Hatchett, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult.

*Sigh* I feel old now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Such amorous memories of them[headbang]

[img]http://home.page.ch/pub/[email protected]/frazetta101.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#31]
God I feel old! Yup seen'em twice the first I ca'nt remember the second was July 1978 Day on the GreenII at Oakland Stadium still have the t-shirt
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Molly Hatchet rocked but Rush totaly sucked in concert. I saw them in the meadowlands and walked out half way through the show. No comparison between the two.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#33]
The first concert I ever went too, was Molly Hachet, opening for the Outlaws (circa 1979). It was a great show,could not hear anything the next day, lol. I saw them again with Blue Oyster Cult at Oregon Jam a couple of years later.
S/F
Flyingrhino
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#34]
"Dreams I'll Never See" remains one of my favorite songs of all-time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#36]
you guys are really showing your age now....
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
you guys are really showing your age now....
View Quote

First time I heard them was in Jacksonville Florida, before they released the first album and I was already in the Marines then.[booze]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Walk in any Southern bar and at some point during the night some one will yell play some[B]Molly F*&kin Hatchet!!![/B]at the band.[:D]

"Dreams I'll Never See" was an Allman Brothers cover but, yeah it's a cool version.

Many a night at warp nine in an old Camaro with it blasting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#39]
I found a streaming audio website for those of you who like to listen to molly hatchet and other classic rock n' roll bands. The website is located at http://www.djlen.tzo.com/ and it is loaded to the hilt with all kinds of classic rock, new rock and country songs. They are full length songs and they are available in realaudio format only. And, best of all, it's free as well as fun. It doesn't cost a single penny to listen. Enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top