>live inside us forever.
>
>We rode bikes or walked to
>a friend's home and knocked
>on the door, or rang the
>bell or just walked in and
>talked to them.
>
>Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
>
>Those who didn't had to
>learn to deal with disappointment.
>
>Some students weren't as
>smart as others, so they
>failed a grade and were
>held back to repeat the
>same grade.
>
>Horrors!
>
>Tests were not adjusted
>for any reason.
>
>Our actions were our own.
>
>Consequences were expected.
>
>The idea of a parent bailing
>us out if we broke a law
>was unheard of.
>
>They actually sided
>with the law.
>
>Imagine that!
>
>This generation has produced
>some of the best risk-takers
>and problem solvers and
>inventors, ever.
>
>The past 50 years have
>been an explosion of
>innovation and new
>ideas.
>
>We had freedom, failure,
>success and responsibility,
>and we learned how to deal
>with it all.
>
>And you're one of them!
>
>Congratulations!
>
>Please pass this on to others
>who have had the luck to grow
>up as kids, before lawyers
>and government regulated our
>lives, for our own good !!!!!
>
>People under 30 are WIMPS
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
so true...
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:47:07 AM EDT
[#2]
But look what it did to our grandkids......
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]
no kidding, I should have been dead a long time ago.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahhhhh! The good old days.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#5]
One small part is missing. The part about how there were no rifles called "pre-bans" with all those evil features. You could buy a rifle with ALL the features and for some reason we were still as safe as can be.

My HS had a Rod and Gun class which tought hunter safety, and some of us even took guns to SCHOOL!!!!!

Man to think, all that I survived, and I'm still here today pushing 40!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#6]
You could go into your local hardware store and buy a gun.
Order a gun from a "junk mail" flyer.
The Sears catalog sold guns.
Most single mothers were single because they lost their husbands in the war or accident.
Only went to the doctor for an emergency and the doctor knew your name.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Dammit, I missed out on all that! I was born in 1985, far too late in my opinion. [V]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Stop it!! you're making me nostalgic.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow I just finished reading the post and was laughing the whole time. How true it is. I feel bad for the kids today growing up. They will never know how much fun we had...... I,m starting to sound like my father now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Man, how I miss that shit.  There was a few times I should have dies. (what was I thinking.)
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Good Post TBS.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Ah, yes!   I remember the huge piles of corpes that littered suburban streets because we didn't wear helmets when we rode our bicycles!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Arrrrr!! [BD]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Cartoon actually showed the bad guys getting theirs.  Nobody that I knew of thought they were superman and could fly.

I think it's sad that schools preach "just say no t drugs".  Then want to drug kids because they have energy and are thinking faster than the teacher.

Kids know hipcracy when they see it.  They may not put words to it but htey know it's not right.

I like the bumper sticker -- I'm ADHD  Try and keep up.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#15]
SOmedayts I feel dead...does that count?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#16]
yea I remember those days when you did not had to worrie about your rights taken away,

I spend most of my time trapping and hunting and it was socialy acceptable.

I remember to sears sold guns out of there catalogs.

I remember that then I got my ass beat if I did something wrong by dad. try spanking a kid these days without the risk of welfare.

I remember too we had a lot of land, small farms. Ive worked on those small farm's One year the same farmer we worked for was layed up
got injured he went hungry I shot a lot of rabbits that year.

I remember too about the trees here were so big.

I remember too about you could not buy the stuff we have today if you wanted soemthing like a gocarts we had to make our own.

I remember too about trucks and cars were made out of steel the whole thing, dashboards, bumpers etc!

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Any adult on the block could beat your ass no questions asked and if your own mom and dad found out about you'd get a second ass kicking. No lawyers involved nor child protective services.

No AIDS so as a young kid of 15 or 16 you could screw around with every girl on two legs and not worry about dying.

Fireworks! Kids would have firecrackers, rockets, flares, and the mother of all firecrackers real honest to God M-80's. More than a few mail boxes met their end to the mighty M-80. Someone found out you could wrap electrical soldier around them and you could shoot them a hundred yards ... the weapon of mass destruction of the time!

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#18]
uhhh Mike how did you make it so far then????
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#20]
1 year to go.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Daredevils we were [}:D] Nowadays,My friends send their kids outside for punishment."GO OUTSIDE, NO VIDEO GAMES FOR YOU" Jeeez !
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember making a scooter out of an old skate, the kind with steel wheels, separate it and nail it to a 2x4. Or going into Payless and buying a couple boxes of 22 shorts. It was no big deal. We used to buy firecrackers from a guy at the back door of the local A&W Rootbeer place. We would stick them in peaches and have hand grenade wars. Man, that was fun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Tuff little shits weren't we.

Looking back on the stuff I did as a kid sometimes I wonder how I'm still alive.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I remember making a scooter out of an old skate, the kind with steel wheels, separate it and nail it to a 2x4. Or going into Payless and buying a couple boxes of 22 shorts. It was no big deal. We used to buy firecrackers from a guy at the back door of the local A&W Rootbeer place. We would stick them in peaches and have hand grenade wars. Man, that was fun.
View Quote

PEACH GRENADES ! Good Idea.[:)]
Here in NJ, our grenades were hardened clumps of dirt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#25]
As a kid did your parents ever have one of those big cars with the rear dashboards that you you could lay on top of and look at the stars through the rear window?  I miss that and riding in the back of trucks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Gosh, I miss the strange, rubbery taste of water from the hose on a hot summer's day.  If it wasn't freezing outside I'd hook up the hose and have a sip for old time's sake.  Maybe with a twist of lemon to update the experience. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Ah, yes, and playing along the railroad tracks, cutting "Cat tails" and drying them out to "smoke" them ... shooting starlings out the patio door, and paper routes (I rode my bike 3.5 miles every day delivering papers most of it along what was then a busy street).

Hell, one time a friend of mine and I were racing our bikes down the street and he ran over my younger brother (he wasn't to smart then).  we just kept on going.  My brother basicall was turned into one giant scab after being dragged about 20 feet.  No one got sued. I got a good yelling at for not looking out better, even though it was the other kid that it him.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#28]
And I thought this was going to be a "Logan's Run" thread.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Also you used to be able to go into the liquor store and buy 190 proof grain alcohol. [whacko]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I was talking about this today with my friends. The only ass whippings I ever got were the ones I really begged for after repeated warnings. [:D]

Now its like a mortal sin to whip a kid. My friends wife left to go pick up her two boys from their grandmothers because thier 14 year old cousin was cussing her grandmother and they dont want their kids around that. I shudder to think what would have happend to me if I ever dreamed of cussing my grandma!

COZ

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was talking about this today with my friends. The only ass whippings I ever got were the ones I really begged for after repeated warnings. [:D]

Now its like a mortal sin to whip a kid. My friends wife left to go pick up her two boys from their grandmothers because thier 14 year old cousin was cussing her grandmother and they dont want their kids around that. I shudder to think what would have happend to me if I ever dreamed of cussing my grandma!

COZ

View Quote

funny story....

I was leaving a kmart last year and there was a woman leaving the store behind me. She was a rather poor looking woman and obviously from the ghetto down the street.
As she was leaving her 6-8 year tried to steal some candy and she caught him. he cursed her and all hell broke loose. She was popping that kids ass all the way from the front doot to the car. Not abusive just in a GOOD MOTHER kind of way. Turns out she was parked next to me. I told her it was nice to see someone that cared about there kids.

mike
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Mike, thank you for sharing that story of a concerned parent with us.  Good to see some parents aren't scared to administer some "hard" love.  I had my share and the only time I spent in jail was as a deputy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#33]
hey i didnt know they let you guys use internet at the old folks home on sunday now...congrats!

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Fireworks! Kids would have firecrackers, rockets, flares, and the mother of all firecrackers real honest to God M-80's. More than a few mail boxes met their end to the mighty M-80. Someone found out you could wrap electrical soldier around them and you could shoot them a hundred yards ... the weapon of mass destruction of the time!
--------------------
Interestingly, I think there are more M-80's now because of the prohibition of M-80's back in 1962.  Every New Years Eve and Fourth of July, I hear loud boomers going off everywhere.  

It just goes to show what happens when the stupid govt. bans something.

-JH
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And I thought this was going to be a "Logan's Run" thread.
View Quote

[img]http://www.transparencynow.com/Logan/kelfront.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Hey Beerslayer,
Ya forgot one little thing.
MODEL KITS!
AND TESTOR'S MODEL BUILDING CEMENT!!!!!
and there you have it!
THE BEGINNING OF THE END!!!!!
The RED LABEL!!!!
After that it was straight downhill for Western civilization as we know it!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I just fit in, I'm 32. Kids now are brats and don't know how good they've got it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I once bought a gun from Sears and Roebuck, mail order, and I didn't even go on a crime spree with it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

PEACH GRENADES ! Good Idea.[:)]
Here in NJ, our grenades were hardened clumps of dirt.
View Quote

I can't tell you how many times I got hit in the head with a "dirt clod".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top