Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2003 10:20:08 PM EDT
Not is the physical sense, but defend your life to God?  I recently watched the Albert Brooks' "Defending Your Life" movie where after death you must defend your life in a trial before you can move on to heaven or get sent back to earth to try again.  Great movie BTW.

I don't think I can.  Looking back at my life I've been selfish, lazy, hurt a lot of good people, taken the easy way out, and been fearful in my choices.  Every day offers a chance for redemption but I never take it.  See previous sentence.  I have little to look back upon and be proud about.  I have been offered every opportunity in life.  I've had money and squandered it.  I've had the love of beautiful women and squandered it.  I've been given a certain modocom of intelligence and have not been productive with it. I've been given the wisdom of usually knowing the right thing to do, but lack the virtue to do the right thing.  Ugh.

How about you?  Can you defend your life to God?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If Sherrick can, then I can.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Provided there is one, yes.

Oh, and dont worry, as I understand it, all you gotta do is repent. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you have ID'eed your past sins, fixed or worked as hard as you possibly could to fix them.

You would have a better chance in defending your life..
You don't believe in a hell anyhow do you?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I know my trial would last longer then OJ's and I would probaly have to come up with some OJ defense quality stuff.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
On the merits?

No, it's impossible....

All have sinned & fallen short...

Divine mercy is the only way out of condemnation...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Like Dave_A, I have a [b]really good[/b] defense atty.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Great movie by the way...is that the one w/ Meril Streep?  I saw that a couple months ago, and loved it.

If I had to defend my life in front of God, I don't think I'd win in a court room sense.  

I left Christianity about 3 years ago, and currently have no plans on returning.  I decided I never really wanted to do it, and had just been brought up that way, but never made my own decisions about it.  Until the day that I decide that's what I want to do, I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I believe it.

I'm basing my answer on the assumptive presented in the original question.  Hypothetically, if the bible was true, I'm basically screwed.  I don't even think I would waste God's time w/ a trial.  I'm clear on what I believe.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was above the tail.   [BD]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[ROFL2] Oh God, I can't breath... [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, Yeah, laugh it up.  I hope you choke.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Not hardly.[:D]

Check out my sig line. Hope you don't mind.  [LOL]

CW
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure.  Probably not.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]
When I watched that movie I thought the same thing. I wouldn't last five minutes. I have never hurt anybody and have allways treated people well but the basis of the movie was about facing your fears. I have not done that with several of the biggies in my life. I would be sent back to earth for another go round.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#14]
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.   I john 5:13

O.K., if you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ you will never have to "defend" yourself.

All persons are sinners, We have ALL fallen short the Glory of God. (read Romans 3:23) you can not lose your salvation. You gained your Salvation as a Gift, not from anything you did. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Galatians 2:21 states pretty clear that if we become righteous by anything we do, or if we could get to heaven by any other way other than Jesus Christ's death on the cross, it would be in vain.

God will not cast us out and no man can cause us to lose our salvation, We cant lose it ourselves, There is no situation, that can seperate us from God (read Romans 8:38-39)

Your relationship with God is a Father/Son relationship by birth. (read John 1:12-13)

You can find assurance of your salvation in the present (read I John5:11-13) God promiced that if you believe in Jesus, you will have Eternal Life. Your Salvation is not based on your feelings it is based on the factual truth of the Word of God. I John 3:20 tells us that even our heart can't condemn us because God is much greater than that. God knows if you're saved even if you don't. Titus 1:2 is there to teach us that God made a promice,and God Cant lie- So his word is good.

Believe what God has said. (in I John 2:25) He has primiced us Eternal Life.

There are some churches today the teach that we must work to keep our salvation, if we sin after we are born again, we can lose our salvation, or that God casts out his children according to his own whim and pleasure, from the Bible pricipals taught you should understant that these teachings are false.

If you are willing to accept that Jesus Christ was sent to you by God to die on the cross for all of your sins, You will never have to "Defend your life to God".

I am not the best example of someone that is right with God, but I do understand how he works in my life, and I am willing to let him work my life in his way. I dont know if this is what you were looking for in your post, but I hope that someone can use what I have posted, It is my longest post that is not a smart a$$ remark [:D] I would suggest that if any of you want to know more, maybe you could ask Paster Tom in chat, or ETH, they are way better at this than I will ever be.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:54:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Not hardly.[:D]

Check out my sig line. Hope you don't mind.  [LOL]

CW
View Quote

That's good.  I laughed out loud.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, it is the movie with Meryl Streep.  I usually hate her but this is a really good movie.

I know Christ suffered the punishment for our sins so that we who are imperfect may join with God in heaven, but my question was more in the context of the movie, could you justify your actions as being worthy of being let into heaven.  In the movie the main point was in conquering fear, but I just wanted to know how you think you would fare in a trial about your life.

I'm not even going to ask about the Sherrick thing. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Jesus is my trial attorney.
Can't lose!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#18]
No, I couldn't defend my life. I try my best but I am human. I make mistakes. I can only subject myself to Gods judgement and hope he is merciful.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#19]
When I die?.....Who care after that. When I am dead I am dead. I tend to care more of how I live now rather than after.

Heaven or Hell?.....Let God decide.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh, I'm going straight to hell..there will be no trial...
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Not sure.

In my younger days I was pretty wild. Lot's of women, lots of fights, a few things I probably could've been incarcerated for.

I've worked hard though and have a strong sense of ethics, raised a good family, etc.

My downfall would be a failure to love my fellow man. I find people to be a disappointment and limit my exposure after work. They become painful after a point. I don't go to church for pretty much the same reason and though I was raised religiously I don't really accept Jesus as my savior, etc. A little tough to buy into that.

Just live my life and try to be a good man. Let the chips fall...
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Jesus is my trial attorney.
Can't lose!
View Quote

same here thats my only hope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top