Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2003 10:39:02 AM EDT

For the past few months it's been bugging me that i've never served. So, I've seriously considered signing up for the Marines. I'll have to get in shape as i'm 33 and work with computers all day.
 Bad idea? Get your fatass in shape and join? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#1]
At 33 aren't you over the age limit to enlist? BobK
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I shipped for Parris Island on my 23rd birthday. There was a guy in my boot camp company who was 35, although he was prior service Army.

It can be done. The question is how bad do you want it? That's almost the sole determining factor as far as making it or not.

Whether or not it's a bad idea is entirely dependent on your expectations and determination. Well, that and how much you like scorpions. I heard there are a lot of scorpions in Iraq. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Go for it, if they'll still have you. I am 35 (36 in less than a month). Would love to join up, but my wife and five small kids would not appreciate it. In another life, I would though. Was more interested in pursuing "non-regimented" ways of life when I was younger. My co-worker who died this summer was a Marine and I remember being proud of him at his funeral. Those who serve deserver a place of honor (and get it from most).

My wife was lamenting one day that when our boys get older, they could be drafted and die in battle. I told her that there are worse ways to die. There is no greater honor than to have fought and died for freedom. I know that sounds callouse to those who have lost loved ones in to war. But think about it, families who lost their loved ones to war have something and someone to be VERY PROUD of. Compare that to the parent who lost their child to a drunken driver, or a gang-banger or something. Yeah, both parents loved their children and were proud of them. But one scenario is just sad and a waste, whereas the other scenario is something a family can at least honor their child for fighting for THEIR freedom. I hope that makes sense.

Anyways... hope I haven't scared you out of it. Go for it if that's where your heart is.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the age limit? I tried signing up for the reserves a few years ago and everbody (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines) said no. I'm 47 BTW.

CW
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Your having a mid-life crisis, get drunk over the weakend and forget about it. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top