Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 10:21:23 PM EDT
I thought you Civil War history buffs might get a kick out of this. I dug this up tonight at my father’s house. He had it, and a number of other Civil War military documents, stored in a cardboard box in the garage. Lucky this is California and not Florida!

This is a picture I took tonight of a document called a “Muster-In Roll,” which I guess is a list of the men in a company. You can clearly see the year is 1862 and it is Company G, 15th Regiment of the Vermont Volunteers. Sorry for the crappy pic!

The second name on the list, 1st Lt. George H. Blake, is my great-great-great grandfather. He was promoted to captain a couple of years later and saw duty throughout the war. I have both his sword and his uniform, as well as a number of other Civil War documents with his name on it. He lived in Barton Vermont most of his life. After the war I understand he became a lawyer and publisher of a local newspaper, before moving to California to be with his sons.

Kinda cool, isn’t it?

This is a picture of the newspaper he published announcing his death in 1898.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#1]
It's way cool!!I wish I had something from my relatives from over a hundred years ago.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
That is interesting. BobK
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
It's amazing that stuff survived all these years. I have some letters from that same time that are very brittle and about to disintegrate. The quality of the paper is everything. I guess the military used good paper.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have my great, great grandfather's Civil War discharge papers.
If I ever get around to buying a digital camera, I'll post them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a Civil war buff or anything, but thats cool shit
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool! I dig (no pun intended) digging up my families stuff. Not near as old, but about as good, is this old slide I found in my father's stuff.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20587[/img]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I love old stuff like that...I've been to Gettysburg twice and loved it both times. I gotta get back there again!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
This is hanging in my room.

[img]members.cox.net/rwhitehill/wilbraham.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top