Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 8:06:04 PM EDT
Hello guys!  I am Freakzilla's girlfriend, soon to be fiance', and we need some suggestions on finding the best deal on an engagement ring. We would like at least a 1 carat quality princess cut diamond (not crap). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks guys.    

Amy
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh... guess this isn't a surprise?  

There's a member here who is a jeweler IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone know who this jeweler is?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Check this topic: [url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=216862&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I maintain that if you're going to get a diamond, look around for a nice estate ring.  I think they're often the classiest pieces, and they are generally more affordable.  But don't get me wrong...you can still spend a lot of money on estate rings.  I bought my wife a beautiful three stone platinum ring at almost 2 kts.  It was appraised by two third parties for almost $2k more than I paid.

Most of the estate rings will be a mine cut.  They don't really do mine cuts anymore because of more sophisticated cutting techniques and tools, but with a quality diamond, a mine cut is just as good.

Oh, and congratulations!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like you're doing to him what my wife did to me:  pressuring him into marriage.  I base this on the fact that he hasn't asked you with a ring he bought himself.  My advice is don't do it.  You will both be fucking miserable.  

If I'm way off base then check your local pawn shops, and congrats!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hello guys!  I am Freakzilla's girlfriend, soon to be fiance', and we need some suggestions on finding the best deal on an engagement ring. [red]I[/red] would like at least a 1 carat quality princess cut diamond (not crap). [red]He would rather have a new M4 with an ACOG, and a few thousand rounds of Q3131A, and his balls back.[/red]  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks guys.  [:)]  

Amy
View Quote

Fixed it for ya. [;)] No charge.  

Congrats.

Edited to give him his balls back
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It sounds like you're doing to him what my wife did to me:  pressuring him into marriage.  I base this on the fact that he hasn't asked you with a ring he bought himself.  My advice is don't do it.  You will both be fucking miserable.  

If I'm way off base then check your local pawn shops, and congrats!
View Quote

Some women want a little input into the ring they're going to be wearing for the next 60 years.  They're not like us.

My ring buying experience:

Me:  "It's round.  It fits.  Fine, let's go."

Her: "No, not that one."

"I don't think so."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"No, not that one."

"Yes!   That's it!!"

Me: "Whew!"
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Hello guys! I am Freakzilla's girlfriend, soon to be fiance', and we need some suggestions on finding the best deal on an engagement ring. I would like at least a 1 carat quality princess cut diamond (not crap). He would rather have a new M4 with an ACOG, and a few thousand rounds of Q3131A, and his balls back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.  

Amy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixed it for ya.  No charge.

Congrats.

Edited to give him his balls back
View Quote

ROFLMAO [ROFL2]

Seriously Amy, don't get offended; these guys are just joking.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a jeweler/gem dealer and I can probably steer you in the right direction. I haven't the energy to type the typical long winded reply, so if you want to email me I can probably help you out. Let me know what you're looking to get ie; clarity, color, preferred gem lab report, price range etc and I'll see if we can't find you something that exceeds your expectations for bottom dollar. Email:

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#10]
When I made the mistake, I mean got engaged, I bought the stone separate from the ring.  Did my home work on the 4 C's (cut, color, clarity, carat). [url]http://www.gia.org/gemsandgemology/357/ig__gi_indexes.cfm[/url]  Look under how to buy a diamond.

Long story short I paid $1800.00 for a  .99 carat SI1 H-Color stone in 1996. Had it set in a 4 prong Tiffany setting until the wife decided what the permanent setting would be. Later we mounted it in a platinum "fishtail" setting (Makes a round stone look square) with 2 .25 carat beggette (sp?) stones. Total investment was $3100.00 Throw in my grandmothers platinum eternity band and I had total of 2 carats.  The set appraised at $8500.00 after it was done. ($7000 without the eternity band). Set a CZ in the original Tiffany setting and got her a inexpensive gold band to go with it for every day wear to work to get beat up. Wore the real thing for occasions other than daily use.

Then I lost it in the divorce last year.  (I didn't care so much about the big stone I bought, I just wanted my grandmothers ring back).
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:42:36 AM EDT
[#11]
jeweler hell run like the wind [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a cubic zirconia.  They look better, cost a whole hell of a lot less, and if you lose it or it gets stolen it isn't a big deal.

Take the money you saved and use it for the ESSENTIALS of life, like shelter, food, transportation, or invest it for your retirement.

I can't believe people still spend inordinate amounts of money on chunks of rock and soft metal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top