Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 5:17:31 PM EDT
Who-ho!

I NEVER get sick... haven't missed a day of work in 5 years, and didn't miss a day of high school.

Now I'm stuck at home with my dog and a cup of hot tea. My wife is celebrating with her family and then going to see Lord of the Rings.

I've had it since Tuesday, and the doctor can't see me untill Friday.

Fuck does my throat hurt....

Av.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, have fun with that.

Merry Christmas and pass the Chloraseptic.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn..

ME too!!

I only take 1 week out of 4 weeks vacation the whole year..
AND I GET SICK!!

Monday I am FBAR!!

Started about 5pm Sunday...by 7pm I was in bed!

Got a chest cold on top of it!

It sucks!

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Strep for Christmas. You must have been a very bad boy!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The gods must not be smiling on you! I would recommend lemon juice & honey in hot water in a coffee mug. Works the same as hot hot to soothe the sore throat.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Be glad you didnt get VD
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel for you.

I've had strep twice:
First time was nothing: Felt a little flu like, but it went away the day after I started anti-biotics.
My throat never hurt at all: it was weird.

The second time was pure hell.
The pain radiated from my throat up into my ear.

I had a fever of 103.5, and could not swallow because it caused the pain in my throat/ear to get 100 times worse.

I was in the ER 2 times in 3 days, and finally on the second visit, they admitted me.

I was hooked up to IV's in a hospital for 4 days, and my entire nourishment was supplied by the IV's and pain killers they were pumping into me:

I cried a lot, it hurt that bad.

If the pain gets that bad, go to the ER.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You cried?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
My poor wife spent Christmas morning with diahrhea(sp?) and vomiting.

Yuck.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had it for several days now![:(]

I am on day 8 of my antibiotics and am feeling much better.

I wish you well and hope you get to feeling better soon.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Dang that is worse than getting coal in your stocking.

I better go have another shot to kill any bugs in my throat.

Hope you are better soon.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've spent the last week and a half fighting a fever (didn't think I had one 'till I went to the Doc and they zapped me in the ear) caused by some bronchitus (sp?) and a nasty sore throat and cold symptoms. I'm finally getting better.

Being sick isnt so bad... being sick and working 11 hour shifts on 5 hours sleep isnt so bad... but being sick and not being able to visit my grandparents on Christmas really sucked. My grandfather has some unusual blood infection and they have him on chemotherapy and pregnazone (sp?) so his immune system is in the pits. I cant see him 'till I get better, beacuse even a common cold might put him in the hospital... and last few days he hasnt been doing so great.

Good news is today, my mom took him some baked ham and macaroni salad and he ate 3 helpings of the salad! They said his color was better and he was talking more.

I could have cared less about my presents... just glad he's doing better.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
First time?  If not, request a culture and sensivitity.  You have had 3 days for the bacteria to gain a popluation advantage in your throat.  If you have any immunilogical weakness to this strain of Strep, you need to be perscribed the best antibiotic, especially if you cannot see the doc on Sunday.  Yes, 24 hours..even 12 hours can make a difference with the multitude of antibiotic resistant bacterial infections of today.  Not to scare you but keep on top of this.

Next time, see a doc in the box.  Yes, the local minor emergency clinic.  ~$70 for immediate relief.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Be glad you didnt get VD
View Quote

[i]waiting for the other shoe to drop...[/i]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]

White spots on the back of your throat?

Get on antibiotics - TODAY!

Do not fuck around with Strep throat. Left untreated, it can result in rheumatic fever - [b]it can cause permanent damage to heart valves.[/b]

[b][u]ALWAYS[/u][/b] treat Strep throat with antiobitics ASAP. Call your doc and tell them you think it's Strep. and they'll get you in real quick.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You cried?
View Quote

Damm straight, and I didn't care.

Part of the problem was that the pain was so bad, I couldn't sleep, and had already been up for 60 hours by the time they admitted me.

Add the fever, and things sort of just fall apart from there.

The ER had these photo copies of 10 smilies on the ER room walls.
Each had a number 1 through 10.

1 had a big smile:
10 was a cry baby: I was a 10.

I guess they actually use them to determine how much pain someone is in.

What was funny was how suddenly it all disappeared.

The 4th night in the hospital, I still had a 103 temp, and bad pain, but I finally got some good sleep (thanks to some really, really good drugs), and when I woke up, it was all gone.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#16]
It Sucks to be sick around the holidadys. last time I got sick it was from food poisoning. Hurry up and get well. BobK
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Until I had my tonsils out when I was 25, I got strep throat at least every other year. My doctor would prescribe antibiotics and vicodin each time. The vicodin was strictly for pain control so I could swallow my meds and enough fluids so I would not dehydrate. He stopped prescribing the vicodin when the feds started paying so much attention to the doctors prescribing opiates. Yes it does hurt enough for vicodin(aspirin with codeine I think).

DWM
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Was feeling like crap last weekend.  Went into to see the doc on the 20th and he got me on Biaxin.  I feel 100 times better now.  Drugs rock.

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top