Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2003 1:41:40 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago I got a call from a local paper stating that they recieved information that I purchased a pistol permit.  They were doing a story on gun sales and I was one of the youngest people that got a pistol permit.(I'm 21 so I would have to be the youngest)

I wasn't home at the time and got the message and number later when I returned home.  I forgot all about it until yesterday when my dad and I were talking, he wondered if it was legal for the Sherriff's department to give out the names of people who purchased a pistol.

So my question is, is it legal?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Public records.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Might want to post this in the legal section.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Anything you say will be cut and edited to make you look bad. I would tell them to leave me alone.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A couple of weeks ago I got a call from a local paper stating that they recieved information that I purchased a pistol permit.  They were doing a story on gun sales and I was one of the youngest people that got a pistol permit.(I'm 21 so I would have to be the youngest)

I wasn't home at the time and got the message and number later when I returned home.  I forgot all about it until yesterday when my dad and I were talking, he wondered if it was legal for the Sherriff's department to give out the names of people who purchased a pistol.

So my question is, is it legal?
View Quote

Our Governor(Taft/Ohio) is threatening to veto CCW legislation if the names, county, & birthdate of all ccw holders are not available to anyone that wants it. It has passed the house  and senate, but this is the sticking point.
Perhaps we should compile a list of all people who purchase anything that can be used as a weapon. (Baseball bats, golf clubs, steak knives, gasoline, 550 cord, plastic bags, etc.)

I know I would feel much safer if I knew my next door neighbor didn't have a "five iron" nearby. What if he "snapped" because he missed the last episode of "Dr Phil?" A person could be killed by one of those things! Do it for the children!
Hessian-1[wave]out!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
WEB sites are cheap, some are free.

Why not post the names, addresses, and home phone #'s of all politicians in your state? See how they like it.

Is that legal?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anything you say will be cut and edited to make you look bad. I would tell them to leave me alone.
View Quote

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Read that part again. Now read it again. Again. Again.

Is it sinking in yet?

No good can come from talking to propagandists....errrr, 'journalists'.

Taxed, I mean Taft....grrrrr.....I hate that idiot a little more every day. Moron.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for "don't say a damn word to them".

I can't think of any good that can come from talking to the press.

As for how they got your name?  Most likely public records.  Makes you feel warm and fuzzy that any scumbag out there can now find out you have guns, doesn't it?  [V]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Up until just a few years ago, a newspaper in a neighboring county listed everyone who bought a pistol permit, and how many.

What a crock of shit!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
i would call and say they DO NOT have permission to post my info in the paper or use my name or references to me in any way.

if ya dont tell them Not to, they will do it, so even if you dont say anything to them they can still give your name about you being the youngest guy in the area with a CCW.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I'd be glad to talk to em, but I'm confident in my "media handling" skills, which are a must.

If you are just Joe gun nut, and arent confident in your skillz, I'd advise to stay away.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Call 'em back and say, "You just told X number of criminals where to find a gun, idiot"
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#12]
They didn't "receive" shit, they mined the info from public records. My guess is that they're going to have some half-wit bimbo do a slanted story and you dont want to be part of it.

I'd tell'em to piss off.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#13]
M15A2 --

which MO paper is this?  (just curious, being from MO and all.....if you don't wanna post it, shoot me an IM or something)

I *think* it is legal, since I haven't seen/heard anything that says otherwise....but I don't know for sure.

In any case, probably best to tell the newsies they don't have your permission to use your name or anything in their article, and that you won't speak to them.  Its a sad situation, but they'll most likely chop up whatever you say to make it support whatever opinion they want, journalist ethics be damned. [:(]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Our Governor(Taft/Ohio) is threatening to veto CCW legislation if the names, county, & birthdate of all ccw holders are not available to anyone that wants it. It has passed the house  and senate, but this is the sticking point.

Hessian-1[wave]out!
View Quote

The only thing he can do is TRY to veto it. It's got enough votes in both the house and senate, so it can get pushed through. Unless somebody brainfarts, CC should be a reality in Ohio. It's just a matter of when...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anything you say will be bad. I would cut them.
View Quote

See?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Personally, I'd be glad to talk to em, but I'm confident in my "media handling" skills, which are a must.

If you are just Joe gun nut, and arent confident in your skillz, I'd advise to stay away.
View Quote

But you have not control of what they eventually print.  they could do a 30 minute interview and put in just the right words to make you look bad.  But to use your exact words:

Personally, I'd be glad to talk to em, but I'm ... Joe gun nut.  Stay away.

See what I mean?

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Taxed, I mean Taft....grrrrr.....I hate that idiot a little more every day. Moron.
View Quote

Don't get me started on Taft. Man, that guy irritatesme....
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hessian-1[wave]out!
View Quote

The only thing he can do is TRY to veto it. It's got enough votes in both the house and senate, so it can get pushed through. Unless somebody brainfarts, CC should be a reality in Ohio. It's just a matter of when...
View Quote

Well, I [b]hope[/b] you're right, but I've heard that before. I'm going to have to see it to believe it.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#19]
You've heard it before here...don't talk to the press.  They are NOT our friends.  They ARE biased against guns and want to MAKE the news that is designed to take away our RKBA.

Whatever you say in your "fifteen minutes" will be edited, twisted, altered and modified to suit them and their agenda.

By and large...reporters suck...they are human detritous.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't get me started on Taft. Man, that guy irritatesme....
View Quote

You just made made my blood pressure go up 30 points. The sheeple don't seem to care this asshat is a crook.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I think it's fucking BULLSHIT, making this stuff "public information", let alone publishing it in the newspaper...

It's putting gun owners in the same league as child molesters and sexual predators, in the name of "public safety".

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Give them the interview, but… with the understanding that it will be recorder buy a third party to ‘protect’ all parties involved. If they are doing an honest article, they will have no problem with this. Instead, if they do the classic ‘cut-n-paste’, you have the ammo to do a big time smack down on them. I always carry a small digital recorder with me now, they come in handy.[}:D]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I just went through all I could find and there's nothing 'Illegal' but also no requirement for them to be public or private either.  The CCW law DOES, as written, require that the records be private (i.e. not public record).

I'll ask a couple of friends I have at our sheriff's dept. and see what they say.  Another way to go would be to call and tell your sheriff's dept. what happened and ask them what their policy is.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#24]
To be honest, I would research this in law.  I understand you probably don't want to hire a lawyer to deal with the paper, but putting your name in the paper next to the phrase "this man owns a firearm" is a dangerous and reckless thing for any in the press or government to do.  It basically gives people up to no good a chance to find your address and loot your house.

Just once I'd like to see the press report someone's name such as yours in the paper as having ownership of firearms, have that person's dwelling broken into, guns stolen, same guns used in crimes and when the criminal who stole the firearms comes into custody, he states that he got the guys name from the paper and decided to find him and take his guns and sell them on the street to criminals.  Maybe then these bottom dwelling press people would finally learn a little bit about privacy.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the info and adivice.  I didn't even call them back cause I feared looking bad also.  

Fanoftheblackrifle IM en route.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything you say will be good for use with children. I would cut them.
View Quote

See my butt?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

But you have not control of what they eventually print.  they could do a 30 minute interview and put in just the right words to make you look bad.  But to use your exact words:

Personally, I'd be glad to talk to em, but I'm ... Joe gun nut.  Stay away.

See what I mean?

View Quote

WE dont have "media" like that near here. I suspect you're being a little harsh on them. From the looks of the author's question, it appears that some reporter wants to do a story, and he sticks out as being the youngest one with a permit.

It doesnt look like a big conspiracy of the leftist media to me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Over here, we have media like that, unfortunately.

A few years back, my wife (I call her "Mahchie, alphabet soup" because of all her degrees) did a start up volunteer service, funded by The United Way.  Totally volunteer and non-profit.  

The Local Fishwrap got wind of it, and contacted her to do a story.  My wife practically wrote the story for them.  You would not believe what came out in print in The Fishwrap.  

Total Distortion is a mild way to put it.

Even when you're doing a good thing, some will spin it to their advantage.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#29]
We don't have any kind of registration here just permit to purchase.

You get a purchase permit from the sheriff's department and buy as many as you like.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We don't have any kind of registration here just permit to purchase.

You get a purchase permit from the sheriff's department and buy as many as you like.

View Quote

We have to get a permit to purchase for every handgun we want.  Then the dealer has to fill out Make Model and Ser#.  We keep the pink copy, the dearler keeps the yellow copy, and the Sherrif gets the white copy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top