Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2003 8:31:15 PM EDT
Had some excitement at the Rochester, MN Wal-Mart I work at yesterday. I was actually back in our warehouse part when this happened but a friend of mine works in the sporting goods department and was the star witness.

A man comes up to the sporting goods department and ask to look at a over and under 12 gauge. My friend gets it out of the display case and allows the individual to examine it. Another man comes to the other side of the counter and wants to look at a scope. My friend turned away to get the scope out and while his back is turned, customer #1, who apparently wants to commit suicide, loads a shotshell into the shotgun and tries to break the trigger lock off by hitting it with a hammer he had hidden. The shotgun discharges and strikes the round firearms display case, breaking one panel and ruining the stocks of half a dozen shotguns.

Upon hearing the shotgun discharged behind him my buddy spins around yells "what the %$&^% are you doing?" to the man who is standing there with a confused look on his face. Several of our managers who are nearby run up, and all my buddy (who served 20 years in the navy) can do is point a shaky finger at the man and say "that man discharged that weapon". At that point the man takes off with half a dozen managers, associates, and customers in pursuit.

After this point I have heard several different versions of the story. But apparently after he gets out of the store, he runs across the parking lot and onto the Highway 55 some 400 yards away and is trying to jump in front of cars while evading the people chasing him. Customer #2, (the man who wanted to look at a scope) runs to his truck a gets his rifle out and tries to apprehend the perp, but the perp started taunting him and telling him to shoot. Even showing where on his chest he wanted to be hit. When that didn't work he start screaming that he had a gun also, but that didn't work ether. At this point the police arrive and take the perp into custody. The Wal-Mart managers even supposedly even gave customer #2 the scope he was looking at in thanks.

Talk about a wild day at work. :-)
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Reminds me of an incident at the gun store I worked at.  I had just sold the only "sawed off" shotgun we ever had to a customer we all agreed was a bit loony.  Anyway, it was a double barrelled 12 guage POS with the stock sawed off.  After filling out all of the forms, he asks me for ammo, which I put on the counter.  He then asks me for 3006, which made him appear a bit more normal since it looked like he was not looking to knock off the 7-11 or himself.  Anyway, upon turning around, I hear my managers screaming "PUT THE GUN DOWN NOW!"  I turn around and there's dipshit loading the gun up.  So there we all are standing around looking at Mr Dipshit and he says, "oops, sorry, I just wanted to see if it had ejectors or extractors."

To this day, i don't know what he wanted to do.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting scenario...

Tell us more when you get it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
wow [:O]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm...

All I can say is

1) I'm glad I wasn't in the store

-and-

2) If I was, I'd be inquiring as to how much of a discount was available for a birdshot-redecorated Mossberg...

As for rifle-man, I'm guessing he was just A BIT pissed about someone setting off a shotgun in his general surroundings, and wanted to see that guy suffer the consequences... I mean, it's not just damage to property here, someone VERY EASILY could have been KILLED had the weapon been pointed in a different direction... That would piss me off, for sure (well, HAS... I was on an outdoor range once when someone NDed their 1911 as I was coming back from checking targets because 'He thought it wasn't loaded')...
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Reminds of a story that happened here.

A guy walks into a local gunstore and ask to see a pre-ban Colt AR. The clerk locks open the action and hands him the rifle. He produces a loaded 30 rounder from his back pocket and loads the rifle, snaps action closed. He then announces that he is leaving the store and no one should try to stop him because "everyone knows what this rifle can do".

Never got caught and rifle never recovered.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A guy walks into a local gunstore and ask to see a pre-ban Colt AR. The clerk locks open the action and hands him the rifle. He produces a loaded 30 rounder from his back pocket and loads the rifle, snaps action closed. He then announces that he is leaving the store and no one should try to stop him because "everyone knows what this rifle can do".

View Quote

wow, that shit wouldnt fly in my shop, he would maybe make it to the door before i tried out our new benelli M4 on him
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Not the easiest way to get a scope.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

... and ruining the stocks of half a dozen shotguns.

View Quote

... Too bad they weren't [b]CAVARMS[/b] stocks. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where was that?  I don't remember.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Where was that? I don't remember.
View Quote

Mashburn, around ten years ago when they used to be on Penn. Couldn't happen to a better bunch of assholes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
WW______HAHA....could have happened anywhere, but is fits a (he called her fat) abused woman, divorced woman w/5 children/daddies saying shes sacared and the Vic/wit court personel on the case sent her away to WW feeling powerful w/special circumstances.[whacko]  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mashburn, around ten years ago when they used to be on Penn. Couldn't happen to a better bunch of assholes.
View Quote

I was guessing.  You are right I hated them.
Have you been to thier new store?  Everything is about 3x the price it should be.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I was guessing. You are right I hated them.
Have you been to thier new store? Everything is about 3x the price it should be.
View Quote

Everything was 3X normal at the old location and I haven't set foot on thier premises since they were on Penn. That BASTARD owner (his name is Matthews) tried to start some shit and I haven't been back since.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Here the local Walmart always has a local LEO hanging around the front of the store during the holiday season.  He definitely wouldn't have made it outside.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow!  Talk about your excitement for the day.  Glad no one got hurt.  

Bad thing is now Walmart will use that as an excuse to stop selling shotguns.  

The gun grabbers love this kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#17]
And the fact that the guy also wanted an Uzi 9 millametah and Colt 45 longslide with lasah sighting didn't tip him off?  Did he say "Hey, you can't do that!" or did he miss his big one and only chance of a lifetime?  

J/k... man that is some wild stuff.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Mashburn sucks.
And it was probably some POS AR that they try to pass off as "rare" that was stolen.

Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#19]
We have had two different instances of a person trying to off themself in a gunstore. Both were women, for what that is worth.

First woman goes into a gunstore looks at pistols and buys one. Fills out the paperwork and gets approved. Loads a magazine and inserts it in the pistol. Steps back from the counter and the clerk sees her put it to her head. He lunges forward and grabs the pistol and in the process breaks her finger. Luckily she did not get the shot off. The cops are called and she was taken to the mental hospital.

Second woman goes into a gunstore that also has an indoor range. She goes in fairly early in the day when there are not that many on the range. She then rents one of the range pistols and goes into the range. A little while later one of the other customers sees her body on the floor. She had gone in, shot a few shots and then placed the pistol to her head. All of this was recorded on the video that is constantly on in the range. She died at the scene.

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#20]
"You can never find a mall ninja when you need one!!!"[;)]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought every Ghetto-mart had an old geezer at the front door who was supposed to stop thieves from leaving?   If it was a local Wal-mart, the floors would be so sticky from fat people drippings that he would have stuck like he was on fly paper and not gotten away.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#22]
i saw this happen at a gun show once - an AD in a public place, not a suicide attempt.  i was working concessions right down from the table where it occurred.  

the seller who had the table had those flat glass topped display cases so no one could touch the merchandise.  he was going to sell his personal makarov (which he did not check in at the door, so it was loaded) so he put it in the case with the other handguns.  a customer asked to see it and when handed the makarov immediately violated rule # 1 and PULLED THE TRIGGER - BAM!  the round went thru the display case glass, ricocheted off the concrete floor and smacked into a steel column next to the table.
the customer was sent out, the seller had to remove his stuff.  no one was hurt, forunately.
the lady who was working for us in my booth started crying and went home.  so did another employee who wasn't even near the scene - he was just scared.  only time i've seen an AD at a show.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Had some excitement at the Rochester, MN Wal-Mart I work at yesterday. I was actually back in our warehouse part when this happened but a friend of mine works in the sporting goods department and was the star witness.

A man comes up to the sporting goods department and ask to look at a over and under 12 gauge. My friend gets it out of the display case and allows the individual to examine it. Another man comes to the other side of the counter and wants to look at a scope. My friend turned away to get the scope out and while his back is turned, customer #1, who apparently wants to commit suicide, loads a shotshell into the shotgun and tries to break the trigger lock off by hitting it with a hammer he had hidden. The shotgun discharges and strikes the round firearms display case, breaking one panel and ruining the stocks of half a dozen shotguns.

Upon hearing the shotgun discharged behind him my buddy spins around yells "what the %$&^% are you doing?" to the man who is standing there with a confused look on his face. Several of our managers who are nearby run up, and all my buddy (who served 20 years in the navy) can do is point a shaky finger at the man and say "that man discharged that weapon". At that point the man takes off with half a dozen managers, associates, and customers in pursuit.

After this point I have heard several different versions of the story. But apparently after he gets out of the store, he runs across the parking lot and onto the Highway 55 some 400 yards away and is trying to jump in front of cars while evading the people chasing him. Customer #2, (the man who wanted to look at a scope) runs to his truck a gets his rifle out and tries to apprehend the perp, but the perp started taunting him and telling him to shoot. Even showing where on his chest he wanted to be hit. When that didn't work he start screaming that he had a gun also, but that didn't work ether. At this point the police arrive and take the perp into custody. The Wal-Mart managers even supposedly even gave customer #2 the scope he was looking at in thanks.

Talk about a wild day at work. :-)
View Quote
Wow! Too bad number #2 wasn't looking at a full bag of kettle corn at the snack bar.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#24]
We had a suicide at the range here too.  City Council resisted efforts to shut it down with the logic that if somebody really wants to kill themself the local range is one of a variety of methods readily available.

Had a guy sweep and point at me a few times at the local Wal-Mart.  The second time he did it, and said it doesn't matter "It isn't loaded."  "Yeah, that means it will be a little lighter when I break it over your head.  Asshole, if you don't know any better than that  then you sure as hell shouldn't be touching one."  He put it down and left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top