Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2003 10:22:25 PM EDT
This really seems to annoy my wife.  If I am in a traffic lane and it is CLEARLY marked as a "Turn Only" lane (you know, big white arrow with the word only, sign and/or signal signifying turn only), I do not use my turn signal.  I mean, after all, it is a Turn Only lane, everybody should know what I am turning.

My wife says I should always use my turn signal when turning.  Technically, she is right.  But come on, why?  Seems like wasted effort to me.

Anyone agree with me?  With my wife?  Just not care?

Dave
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Just use your damn turn signal, it's not that hard.
[:)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it when people go in the passing lane of the interstate doing 40 with thier left signal on.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't be a jerk, use your turn signal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]

My brother was ticketted for failing to signal a turn this way.

He was in a dedicated left turn lane with a red/green left turn arrow signal - at 12:30am on a weeknight with NO OTHER traffic on the road in any direction. The cop was just leaving the convenience store parking lot at pulled into the left turn lane behind him. When the arrow turned green for him to go, my brother turned left and immediately LEO lights him up and pulls him over.

Long story short... Ticket, court appearance, judge changes docket order because cop didn't show until hour&half later while my bro was there 9:00am sharp and was second on the list.

Judge hears the case, drops the $100 fine to $5 but keeps the moving violation citation on his record = insurance goes up.

Use the fucking signal or else you just might get a DICKPULLING ASSHOLE LEO roll up behind you with nothing better to do than to write you up for a BULLSHIT violation.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate when people don't use their signals.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Speaking of turn signals and improper lane travel, how about this:  When people turning from a two way street onto a one way street turn into the wrong lane.  In my state, the law clearly says you have to turn into the closest available lane of normal travel, be it the left or right lane on a one way street.  75% of folks just turn into the right lane no matter what.  Couldn't tell you the number oftimes I've nearly been hit and the other driver who was turning into the wrong lane honks/yells/gives the finger, and all I can do is laugh off their idiocy.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Never depend on the OTHER driver to understand what you are doing. Make every effort to communicate your intentions before you make any change.

You trust other drivers? You are hopelessly optomistic, it is damned dangerous to assume they are paying attention to what you are doing now, let alone what your next move will be...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Usually It's these same incorrect lane turning drivers who cut the corner of the lane their supposed to be turning into deeply, almost like their goal is to straddle the centerline.  You think their going to stay in their lane and so you turn, and next thing you know, 30 feet up the the road from the intersection, their front end is inches from your drivers side front quarterpanel. Of course they're laying on the horn, morning curlers dangling from their knappy hair which starts somewhere below the neckline of their stained purple mumu's with their partially toothless mouth open in a gratingingly annoying yell/scream/bugle carefully cultured by 3 decades of smoking unfiltered cigs.

But hey, I digress.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
You all have to remember that he's in Ohio. Almost no-one here uses their turn signals at all. It gets pretty annoying. Very few tickets are given for it, compared to how often it is done. Most of the cops I see driving never use their signals.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This really seems to annoy my wife.  If I am in a traffic lane and it is CLEARLY marked as a "Turn Only" lane (you know, big white arrow with the word only, sign and/or signal signifying turn only), I do not use my turn signal.  I mean, after all, it is a Turn Only lane, everybody should know what I am turning.

My wife says I should always use my turn signal when turning.  Technically, she is right.  But come on, why?  Seems like wasted effort to me.

Anyone agree with me?  With my wife?  Just not care?

Dave
View Quote

The ORC would require you to use your turn signal.  I never assume people are going to do what their lane requires them to do.  I've been t-boned by a dumbass misusing a lane before.  If it's too much of an effort to put your turn signal on, you might have other issues [;)]

I do see what you're saying though.  I rarely use my turn signal in turn lanes, as it should be obvious what my intentions are, but you can't be sure of what other people will do.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I use my signal when merging into the turn-only lane, then I turn it off.  Don't like it? I don't care.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:14:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Use the fucking signal or else you just might get a DICKPULLING ASSHOLE LEO roll up behind you with nothing better to do than to write you up for a BULLSHIT violation.

View Quote

Damn straight!!!  There has to have been some burglars around he could have arrested or something!  [:D]    Damn cops!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:26:51 AM EDT
[#14]
If your in a turn only lane it doesn't take an Einstein to figure out where you intend to go when the light turns green.[rolleyes] I said NO, not in a turn only lane. If it's a turn or straight ahead lane & I entend to turn, then yes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Although you know its a turn lane, the other people driving towards you may not.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
... Seems like wasted effort to me.  ...
View Quote

Effort?  Using a signal is an effort?

All turns, including lane changes, require a turn signal.  Unfortunately, most people do not feel the need to be courteous enough to use them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:47:05 AM EDT
[#17]
It becomes automatic I don't even think of not putting on the turn signal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:49:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Although you know its a turn lane, the other people driving towards you may not.
View Quote

Well, I guess there are people that stupid.

If I pull out infront of them and get t-boned it's my fault and the blinking light would not stop such an event.

If they run a red light and t-bone me it's their fault. If a red light won't stop them my fucking turn signal certainly wont.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:11:07 AM EDT
[#19]
NO, Cause here in Charlotte N.C. Noone knows what a turn signal is......So payback is hell.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I use my signal when merging into the turn-only lane, then I turn it off.  Don't like it? [red]I don't care.[/red]
-HS
View Quote

Thats your problem,You dont care.[stick]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:27:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Ass clowns! I want the five minutes back I spent reading this thread. Change lanes, or directions, use your fucking turn signal.
Well, I can dream, can't I? Whatever endearing qualities the locals may have otherways, they can't drive for shit and one always has to figure out what the dozen or so drivers around you are going to do without them signalling any kind of intent to do a sudden 180 turn, for instance, or maybe shoot their passenger.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Check your state motor vehicle statutes. In NJ you do not need to use your turn signals in this situation.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Not only is it the law in most states, more importantly, it a common courtesy issue.

It gives other drivers a good indication that you are not going to stupidly blast out of the turn lane, and back into the straight thru lanes.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:47:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Usually It's these same incorrect lane turning drivers who cut the corner of the lane their supposed to be turning into deeply, almost like their goal is to straddle the centerline.  You think their going to stay in their lane and so you turn, and next thing you know, 30 feet up the the road from the intersection, their front end is inches from your drivers side front quarterpanel. Of course they're laying on the horn, [red]morning curlers dangling from their knappy hair which starts somewhere below the neckline of their stained purple mumu's with their partially toothless mouth open in a gratingingly annoying yell/scream/bugle carefully cultured by 3 decades of smoking unfiltered cigs.[/red]

But hey, I digress.

- Nw -
View Quote

MOM?  [LOLabove]

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually I see people goint straight in turn lanes all the time, best to signal so I know you're not some moron who's gonna pull out of the turnlane in front of me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Use your turn signal in the turn lane to confirm your intent. There are plenty of idiots on the roads who have no idea what they are doing. You will see them in a trun lane trying to proceed foward rather than turn, then wonder how they could have possibly caused a crash. Confirming your intent simply will let us know that you are one of us, the people who know how to drive.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It gives other drivers a good indication that you are not going to stupidly blast out of the turn lane, and back into the straight thru lanes.

Jay
View Quote
I guess you've never seen a car with the left signal on suddenly turn right... from the left lane... at least once or twice a week during snowbird season? [:\]

I pretty much IGNORE [u]everybody's[/u] turn signals - they don't mean jackshit as to what the driver is really going to do.

If I used other driver's "courteous" use of their turn signals to anticipate what they plan on doing next, it'd be like a fricken demolition derby out there! [BD]

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the point? No. Never.
AB
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#30]
It's a turn lane, the fact that you're there means you're going to turn, no need to signal. That being said, I've seen people not use their signal when they should and use it in the turn only lane. I think a butt load of people need glass belly buttons so they can see where their going, at least in my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I use my signal when merging into the turn-only lane, then I turn it off.  Don't like it? I don't care.

-HS
View Quote

I wish I knew how to imitate a little girly voice saying this because that's what it sounds like.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#32]
yes, always
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I do try to use a turn signal 100% of the time.

After a while it becomes second nature and you will turn it on without even thinking about it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish I knew how to imitate a little girly voice saying this because that's what it sounds like.
View Quote

Try this one:
[url]http://www.heavy-pork.com/sounds/wavs/whatever.wav[/url] (60kb)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top